7 days in Soberland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 days in Soberland

In a couple of hrs it will be exactly a week I gave up. Besides the incredible drain of lack of energy and constant tiredness that leaves me literally unable to keep my eyes open and I sleep during the day - everything has been 'okay'.

I found tonight though really really hard and was taken back by my physical and emotional reaction. I went out to get dinner (ugh I am eating more in its place, this is SO NOT GOOD) and was driving along the road to the bottle shop and found it overwhelming, I really wanted to get some drink. This little voice in my head said "what about just drinking saturdays" but deep down I didnt want to, but it was so overwhelming I started to feel dizzy and even broke out in a sweat. Far out.
    I rang a friend and just said "tell me not to drink, tell me not to go to the shop" and she talked me thru it until I passed the drive through.
    Honestly, I understand now when people say that cravings pass in a very short period of time, because within about 15minutes I was fine.
    Thank god I did'nt, it would of really pissed me off if I did.

I'm so down about my weight though, its terrible. The scales are still going up and that is a bit of a worry, usually when I stop within a week I lose immediately a few kilos, but like I said I'm eating in the place of drinking. Totally doing my head in.
    Tomorrow is another day, I said the first week was all about stopping the drink, which I have, this week is about not having anymore bad foods. I bought supplements today and heaps of vegies and water.

Wishing myself luck, and everyone else who is trying their best right now.

SL
    Wake me up low with a fever~Walking in a straight line~ Set me on fire in the evening~Everything will be fine~Waking up strong in the morning~Walking in a straight line~Lately I?m a desperate believer~But walking in a straight line

7 days in Soberland

SL,

Yeah. That first week is rough. Chief likens it to have the flu.

However, now that you have bought some vitamins and are looking at eating right, I bet within a few days you will start to feel better.

It does take a while to get over the beast. It is worth it though.

Very proud of you for calling your friend and getting through the crisis. It sure shows you are determined to do this!!

Strength and good health to you!!

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

7 days in Soberland

Straightlines-Congratulations on getting through a very rough first week. Go easy on yourself as you detoxify. If you continue to remain AF, the weight will come off so don't beat yourself up over it.

Love and Peace
      Rob

Comment

7 days in Soberland

Straightlines - you are doing great. A week AF under your belt and you tackled a huge craving and won! Fantastic job.

Sounds like you are doing good with a new eating plan as well. Remember, don't too hard on yourself. Keep up the good work.

You are an inspiration!!

Love, Me
        :l
        Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

7 days in Soberland

Straight - you're doing great!

Don't even think about the weight thing at this point.....do whatever you need to break the habit of drinking....you can add in refinements like losing weight when you are feeling more settled about the booze.

Supps and good food will help you feel better quicker....so be sure to stick with that.....but for the moment keep your main focus on not drinking...the other things will fall into place later.

If you need it......EAT CHOCOLATE! :H

Suze x
          Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

7 days in Soberland

Hi Straightlines...

You ARE doing fantastic! That first week is a killer! But it really gets easier from here on out. When you get to day 9 it really starts to feel smooth. Good on you for calling your friend - that was very strong. You really want this, so you will do it!

The weight thing was a bastard for me, too. But after the second week it started mellowing out and falling off again. There are a few things you can do that will help curb alcohol cravings and with weight:

-stay away from sugar.. this is the most important in the begining.
            -stay away from caffeine
            -eat more lean protein
            -take your supplements! l-glut is really important - What supplements are you taking?
            -stay away from fruit juices

Keep posting - ask a lot of questions and let us know what supps you are taking. They are KEY - they truly can help fight half the battle for you - why try to do it all by yourself if there is help out there?

Hope this helps... let us know what you need.

Namaste,

MM
            Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

7 days in Soberland

Great job,

Calling your friend to convince you not to drink!!!! I guess I too am having the flulike symptoms cuz I feel like shit, so tired but cant sleep. Anyone have trouble with supplements causing trouble sleeping? I know l-glut will do that so I omitted it yesterday and still woke up all night. Maybe kudzu or herb tea having strange rxn. Hmmm. Glad to see I'm not the only one getting hungrier too, and wanting junk,
              anyway keep up the good work!!

xxx ooo:l
              Anxious

When the heart cries for what it has lost the spirit sings for what it has found!

Comment

7 days in Soberland

Hey Straightlines, sounds like you handled a pretty powerful situation in a very positive way. Hats of to you and your continued sobriety. Well done.
                Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

7 days in Soberland

:wd: This is really a wonderful post. A success in the making. You are doing great. When you were down you came through for yourself and did the right thing. You will get there!!! FOr now do whatever it takes. You can worry about the weight later. Who knows, maybe it will worry itself off for you while you deal with the AF accomplishement.

VERY PROUD!!!

Comment

7 days in Soberland

Awww thanks guys, your words really DO make a difference - you know I think I can do a lot of things alone but just these responses alone has made me understand how important other positive people, supportive people, understanding people are.

They key that keeps repeating here was the advice to go easy on myself - it sucks that I have to seek permission for those words and not listen to my own self on that subject. I'm never easy on myself! (I'm sure the fact my marriage was so emotionally abusive and I'm on my own now counts for a lot of that crap) So thanks !

MM - Namaste , thanks for the advice re the sugar thing, makes sense to me and I will note that. Re my supplements well at the moment all I'm taking is Vit B and a multi complex ... I admit I'm not familiar with the kudzo (is it because I'm from Australia?). l-glut I do know of.

Oh and my sleep was whack last night, just couldnt get to bed and then when I did woke up all night. I'm an Insomnia sucker so I hope this doesnt come back.
                    All of your advice and words are so helpful. Thanks guys.

I hope I can be more involved here, it's such a busy place and I havent even left this 'Just Starting Out' area - I need to have a walk around I think.

SL
                    Wake me up low with a fever~Walking in a straight line~ Set me on fire in the evening~Everything will be fine~Waking up strong in the morning~Walking in a straight line~Lately I?m a desperate believer~But walking in a straight line

Comment

7 days in Soberland

:thumbs: :thumbs: HI Straight: good 4 you!!!!!! you are my inspiration .. well , among others !
                      :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

7 days in Soberland

One week is great..I wish I had a week under my belt..I think I will give it a try starting today...:goodjob:
                        :l

Comment

7 days in Soberland

Congrats, Straight Lines! Your wonderful message will echo in someone else's mind, as they endure the same struggle...

As for dreams, get ready, honey! I've had the most weird/awesome/crazy/scary dreams ~ it's almost exciting to see what I'll dream of next!~ I guess it has something to do with alcohol normally dampening the REM sleep, and now that you're AF, you have to make up for lost time! :H

Patty
                          Tampa, FL

Comment

7 days in Soberland

Hey Patty

You are dead right about dreams, I've never been one to have normal ones anyway, last night's was about a Tsunami (must have something to do with the fact I'm flooded from rain where I am and walked on the beach yesterday where it was monster waves) and I've had others that have been pretty scary.
                            A couple years ago I was on anti depressants and whoa boy that was horrible - beyond nighbmares moreso nighthorrors, so I never want something like that again to enter my slumbertime.

So yes, weird, scary, unnatural lately!

Thanks for your congrats, all the best to you too {& everyone else for the support!)

SL

Comment

7 days in Soberland

Hey SL,

Well done on your seven days.... I know the draining feeling you're talking about I felt like I was going to fall asleep on my computer last week - i found lots of water helped. I am a first timer on this site and by the sounds of it the supplements really help with the detox...I guess it's the way our body tells us I'm getting rid of the crack out of your system..so that's sort of a good thing that our bodies can elimate toxins so quicky.

Hope you feel better soon!
                              :goodjob:
                              I am the author of my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X