Sun. - Mar. 2 - Daily Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday's thread was really wonderful...full of posts from folks old & new. I hope we can sustain that, as it's inspiring. I had some drinking thoughts (as I do some days), but whenever I logged on & read the thread, I became more & more grateful for my sobriety. I'm a non-drinker, & I'm fine w/that. I went to bed & slept 7 full, non-drunken hours of sleep. I feel like a new person today.

I'll keep talking to myself & visualizing myself sober for life. Deter's image of handing a normal drinker a bottle & telling him/her to drink the whole thing was very illuminating. My husband (a very light drinker - at the most 2 beers or 2 wines in an entire evening), would be appalled at the idea of drinking a whole bottle of wine. It became the norm for me at the end of my drinking.

Have a wonderful day everyone. Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Oops! I thought I had reposted my thread here, but clearly not. I guess that post wasn't meant to be.

Yesterday I had all of the HALT symptoms--hungry, angry, lonely and tired. I was also rather bored. It brought on some thoughts of drinking. Not necessarily drinking yesterday, but maybe someday. I came on here and read, and it was just what I needed. Reading about everyone's resolve renewed my resolve, and it reminded me once again of why I am doing this. I feel much better today.

Part of my anger and loneliness is that I am working too much on weekends. I am deciding to farm out some of my billing to someone else. I can take on another hour or two during the week and easily pay for it instead of having it hang over my head all the time.

I'm sorry I made your heart skip a beat, Cindi. I wasn't in serious danger yesterday. I do need to work on changing the things in my life that I'm not crazy about. My sobriety is about more than not drinking now. I'm thinking about my future sobriety as well.

At any rate, I've got to run now. Sorry this is about me, me, me. I am going to post another thread later. Maybe everyone can help me come up with a good screen name for a dating site. Yikes!

:l:l

AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Hi Everyone- Boy if it wasn't for this place I definately would have drank last night. I really resolved to start AF again yesterday. Saturday is a bit of a bad day to start because even though I don't drink every night anymore I usually do on Saturday. Anyways- I was reading through different posts and posted a couple of my own and at the same time planning how I was going to go out and buy my little 4 pack of PinoGrigio once my husband left and then planning how I could drink it between when I had the last driving to do for my kids and when he came home. Then I just thought how INSANE is this! I'm determined to go AF, coming here is so inspiring and here I am plotting and planning my little binge for the night.For what- maybe an hour of feeling good . Well it stopped me in my tracks. For that moment it just seemed so ridiculous. So I didn't drink , and I thank this place for that.
      Aquamarine
      NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF YOUR OWN DETERMINATION
      AF SINCE 3/16/2016

Comment

Goodmorning, my friends.

Each day feeling a little better. Boy I got to tell you, it felt so good telling the nurse the other day, "no, I don't drink". I keep thinking about that and it brings a smile to my face.

Mary, I'm so proud of you.

Kathy, I hope you can cheer up soon. You are such a huge support for everyone and when I see someone like you down it just makes me think how life's just not fair. Take care, sweetie.

Aqua, wtg staying AF. I'm glad you were able to reason with yourself and completely talk yourself out of it. That's a great achivement.

Tk, so you had an "aha" moment did you? Well as long as it made you happy that's all that matters. No reason to share if you don't want to. Thank you for your support.

To all of you and all to come ~ enjoy your Sunday sober, healthy and happy. :h to all.

Love, Me
        :l
        Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Aqua: I can't tell you how many times, as I was driving to the liquor store in between doing other things, I thought: "This is insane!" I think the plotting & planning is almost as addictive as the drinking. And for me, the high isn't even an hour. Then, I crash!

Kathy: I'll think about that screen name. I loved what you said about sobriety being more than just not drinking. I really think it's about finding a balance in life. I, for one, tend to be an activity junkie.

tk: I'll look for that thread. Thank you, M
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Top of the Sunday AB-originees far and wide!!

well the monthly abs section is on fire thanks to all you wonderful folks. well done!

Mary, reading back on yesterdays fantastic thread your talk of drinking while doing food prep hit a note with me bigtime. I'd hide in the kitchen with the 'cooking wine' for as long as possible and then when it was time to sit down I was pretty well wasted and unable to communicate with the guests. ick!

Kathy, sounds like you know what you must do....delegate some of the work off of your shoulders and take some YOU time for sure.

Aquamarine so glad you stopped here for strength and didn't get fooled by booze beastie...well done.
            Tkeene and Thankful you two are sounding great.

I've been thinking about why I've had relapses in the past from AF to fooling myself into going for Mods or just flat-out daily drinking. i'd harbored this little dark "beast voice" in the back of my mind that was digging in it's claws and refusing to get flushed out with my new lifestyle. that little dark spot in my brain would hold on to hope that I really was still a drinker and this period of AF was just an exercise to show others I was really OK with alcohol. tricky little devil! this is like cleaning a refrigerator that has mold in it. we can't just clean 95% of the mold out or it will creep up and take over the fridge again shortly. we have to totally bleach the entire fridge and only then can we put the food back in there and go to bed. ok, that was a wierd analogy. LOL
            Be well friends!
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

That's a fantastic analogy, Det....

Comment

Great thread here! This site has helped me more the past two days....happy to say I am now 48 hrs sobber. I do the same thing Dets...convince myself I can moderate then end up half dead after a binge for 3-4 days. I dont eat, only sleep until buzz wears off and then repeat...UH

Comment

Just want to say hi to all my dear friends on the monthly abs. From now on this forum is going to be "home" for me, if thats okay with you guys, as I am determined to remain abstinent longterm and therefore feel personally I cannot take this ODAT. I need to make a longterm commitment. ODAT messes with my brain and doesn't work with me.

Looking forward to getting to know you all much better oh, and Mary - I know it isn't Mother's Day over there, but "Happy Mother's Day" "mam"!!!

love you all

Janicexxx
                  AF since 9 May 2012
                  Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Hi All,

I haven't checked in for a few days so it's wonderful to read this weekend's thread.
                    How many times have I gone several days AF and then decided that I really didn't have a "problem" and it would be ok to have a glass of wine. I have never had a GLASS of wine.

I want to remain AF for the month of March. I know it won't be easy as I have two trips (one to Florida and one to Europe) planned. I'm going to have to break my longstanding habit of ordering wine as soon as possible on a flight. All I have to do is hear the clanging of the cart coming down the aisle and I begin to salivate for chardonnay.
                    I'm going to print out posts that hit home with me and carry them with me. It seems as if we will all be in good company in abs land this month.

See you all tomorrow.

Janet

PS....Det, I loved the mold in the refrigerator analogy. I'm going to remember that!!!

Comment

heya Vino, nice to hear from you. Here's what to tell yourself when on the plane: I'm too special to drink that toilet cleaner they serve on the airliners. I'll have a bottled water please.
                      so far it's working for me! strength to you.
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

ponering here with my abbers

Just had a few moments to read the thoughts of all the abbers before I go to bed and begin a new week. You all give me so much to ponder ... Thank you abbers!
                        Liv
                        AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Working...
                        X