Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday, 7 March 2008

G'day Absters,

Haven't checked in for a while. Just wanted to say a healthy and sober Hello! :l

Hope all of you are hanging in there fine. I've been off the booze for 84 days now. Looking forward to hit the hundred! I'm off the Topamax now, and doing fine. I've been tappering down by the 25 mgs per week. No side effects whatsoever. In fact, I'm happy to have found back my witt and my sense of words.

Anyway, just an update.

Best,

Paddy
    Paddy
    Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Friday, 7 March 2008

Paddy!!!

What a nice update. :l

Thank you!!

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Friday, 7 March 2008

Hi Paddy
      its great to hear you are doing so well.lovely and inspirational when you come back and share your success with us. Take care

Cassy

Comment

Friday, 7 March 2008

Thanks for the update Paddy, 84 days!! What an inspirational start to today's thread!! Good morning to Cindi and Cassy too!!

I've just been catching up with the end of yesterday's thread....Mary and Ask for Help - you've just opened my eyes and hit the nail on the head for me - feeling resentful=drinking for me too!! I realise now that I turn to drink when no-ones really hearing what I'm saying or has time for me. Drink is always there, always ready to comfort you, well...in the short term. Thank you for making me see that. I feel as if I'm learning everyday from this thread......thank you all.

Day 10 today and just realised its Friday. My hubby will probably be drinking tonight. Just had a long discussion with him as he asked what my "plans" were. I talked to him about last week and admitted I had drank on the Tuesday night when he was away. I told him about my new commitment and I know he will be supportive although I know he will still have his drink Friday to Sunday. That won't bother me.

Looking forward to reading today's posts.

Janicexxx
        AF since 9 May 2012
        Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Friday, 7 March 2008

It's been a great week in Absville - lot's of positive energy! Hope you all have a great weekend!
          Is Addiction Really a Disease?
          Watch this and find out....
          http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

Friday, 7 March 2008

Thanks

Hi
            I'm just about to start the full program. I am sober the past two days and excited to begin. Any info re: Topamx vs Camprel would be appreciated. My goal is abstinance, so which med do you folks suggest?
            Thanks
            H

Comment

Friday, 7 March 2008

Thats great paddy, nice way to go am sure you are feeling soo much better like i am 93AF and everyday is a new happy day for you surely. my target i still far ahead keep the race on paddy

Comment

Friday, 7 March 2008

Morning all!

Another sober day for me here.

Paddy, it's great to see you pop in, and I'm so happy to see you doing so well.

Cindi, Cassy, Boyz and Maasai, I hope you have a great day.

Hanuman, you will have to find out yourself which works better for you. You can use topa for moderation or abs, but campral is really supposed to be for abs only. Topa can make you rather stupid (hence the name topadopa); I have am on a maintenance dose of 100 mg/day, which isn't too bad. Campral gives some people digestive problems, but not everyone. So give it a shot. You can never go wrong if you keep trying. You can also do some reading on the medications forum up under the introduction part of our forums. Welcome and good luck!

Well off to feed the kitties.

:l:l
                AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Friday, 7 March 2008

Good Morning everyone,

Just checking in quickly. Paddy, Thanks for starting us off with 84 days. That is encouraging - some of the new folks - esp Di and Jimmy will love hearing about how well you are doing. Hanuman, I am not actually doing the supps, so I will have to defer to others.

Mary and Cindi, there were many reasons I drank. Some of it has to be that I have somehow gotten "lost" in taking care of my kids and husband - and resentful of that fact. I'm not working now, but even when I was I was only half there b/c I was the one who took off with the sick kids, went to school stuff, etc. Fighting with my husband was also a big trigger for me to drink (and/or eat). Now when we are arguing about something and he is not listening. I just repeat quietly to myself "YOU CANNOT MAKE ME DRINK". Probably sounds silly, but it works for me.

I'm off to have a great AF day. I'll check back in later.

Beck
                  Beck

Sometimes you get there in spite of your route, losing track of your life and what it's about, the road seems to know when to straighten right out...Mary Chapin Carpenter

Comment

Friday, 7 March 2008

Hi Everyone: I slept a little later. We did a lot of child care this week & will be having the kids over the weekend.

For me, alcohol is my #1 mood-altering substance. If I'm feeling any kind of "negative" emotion (I put that in quotes, because emotion is neither right nor wrong), I feel tempted to change it. I've heard that "the only way out is through." I think that's how it goes. We have to work through difficulties...they don't just go away, because we get drunk.

It's hard to believe that at my age (63), I'm still growing up in terms of dealing w/my emotions & life. Alcoholism definitely stunted my emotional growth...no doubt about it. However, I feel I'm catching up to where I should be at this time in my life.

Take care everyone. At 36 AF days, the weekends don't loom as quite the temptation they used to.

Mary

PS: Thanks for starting Paddy...I needed to rest this AM.
                    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

Friday, 7 March 2008

I am trying so hard to post a positive post but ...

I was lost again yesterday.

I need to go back to rehab, a real rehab, where it is not "detox" then AA.

I am tired of fighting this battle, everyone. So tired.

I cannot take topa, I am allergic, and I am so "always seeking..." the Mood Altering Substance that Mary talks about.

I want to grow up. (Big girl pants??)

I want to be able to handle the cr*p that life throws at me and deal with it. I do. However, AL keeps calling me....

I am sorry for being down today, but that is where I am. I must post pos/neg both. I hate being me.

Love,
                      Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Friday, 7 March 2008

Aloha Friday ABerooos!

PADDY!!!!!!! holy snot batman! it's been too long...I thought married life might have done you in man!!!
                        so nice to have ya back and big congrats on the AF time.

Cindi, so sorry things are rough for you and I really want to help if I can. Will hubby help you get all the AL out of the house? will doc approve antabuse? sorry, just thowing out ideas. Hugs for you hon XXXXXXXXXX

Hanuman, welcome and congrats on heading to AF, it's a great state of mind. I had good luck on campral but once I decided to try and mod on it I was back to square zero. ugh! it's also expensive.
                        For me antabuse has been a pleasant surprise in retraining my brain to just let go of modding and to get used to my new AF skin and get on with things. Stay in touch.

oh, almost forgot today is my 30 DAYS AF!!!!!! (again....LOL)

be well everyone!
                        nosce te ipsum
                        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Friday, 7 March 2008

Friday!!!

Hi everyone, a little late today, but good to see you all here! Paddy WOW, thanks for starting us out w/ all those days you have...............truly an inspiration!!

Cindi, my heart goes out to you..............I hope you find what you need, maybe rehab and AA will help you, I use MWO and AA combined now, it helps...............

Hanuman, I take Campral, I have NO side effects whatsoever, and I really think it has helped me get these 18 days..............good luck with whatever you choose to help you on this journey!

Everyone else, you guys have a great Friday and weekend!! I probably won't be able to check in over the w/e, but will today as the time goes by.

GOOD on 30 days det!! Way to go!!

Love,

MA
                          :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Friday, 7 March 2008

Hi Everyone, I actually made it to day 7 . I haven't done that in a long time. Tkeene- wow that's great pouring out the wine. I don't really know if I could have done that. That's great! Resentment is a tough thing to let go. I find it extremely hard to not dwell in it sometimes. It's such an unhealthy, detrimental emotion to walk around with. It really takes a conscious effort to just let some of it go. Great to read everyone's post- hope all have a
                            positive day. Aquamarine
                            NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF YOUR OWN DETERMINATION
                            AF SINCE 3/16/2016

Comment

Friday, 7 March 2008

Greets my peeps.

Day 5 is here. Last night was a bit touch and go but luckily I had my sons play so that toss me out of the norm and I was able to stand strong.

Thanks Beck for the kind words. I am here.

Congrads determinator for your 30!:goodjob:

Tonight is the biggy. We always go out to dinner friday nights. Normally to a brewery and the whole family goes. My son picked it out this morning, I told him that dad isnt drinking tongiht and we decided on another place that isnt a beer mecca. My family is not aware of my attempt this week. I dont like to admit to them that Daddy isnt in control. Probably wrong but that is what I do.

So good and quick thinking on my part this morning. Hopefully that should seal the deal tonight. We'll see.

Good luck everyone

Comment

Working...
                              X