PDA

View Full Version : A new weight loss thread

betty boop
April 6th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Hi everyone, I did this over a year ago, and Eustacia did one in January and they were both very successful ......

I have been a slimming world consultant for over 10 years so I would be happy to give any advice or provide recipes.

I also have good knowledge of other weight loss plans as well .....

I will be weighing every monday morning and sharing my goals ........

Please feel free to join me anyone ............

Love & hugs, BB xx

Sunbeam
April 6th, 2008, 06:09 AM
The disappointment in my sobriety is that I have gained a few pounds. Diets don't work, but I am simply making it a point of eating a fruit or vegetable every 2-3 hours. I've been eating too many sweets - someone said that a dill pickle quenches that craving, so I will try that. The gardening season is here, so I will be much more active.

betty boop
April 6th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Hi Sunbeam, unfortunately quick fix diets don't work but healthy eating does ..........

Interesting about the pickles ..... I love them .........

Seto
April 6th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Hi everyone :new:
Great idea and just what I am looking for. I have been on weightwatchers for oh years on and off. I am starting Day 1 of 30 AF days today. Even though generally I count my wine points in I have found that I am still not losing weight, even though I exercise really well - most days managing a 5 mile run/power walk. Could it be possible my body is used to the weightwatcher diet and I should try something else? Your advice would be much appreciated. Obviously cutting out the wine will really help but I want to lose around a stone in 6 weeks. :thanks: SetoXXXXX

Dolly Sunshine
April 6th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I'm in...I soooo need to lose.

Sunbeam
April 6th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Really good good eating books I have read include Midless Eating and Volumetrics. In Defense of Food is also fabulously informative. Any other suggestions? I have the impression the Weight Watchers also offers really sound advice.

livingfree
April 6th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Betty B - awesome - I am currently on a "cleanse" - but as soon as I am done with it - I have some weight I need to lose - I stopped smoking in Nov - stopped drinking in Jan and I have GAINED. I think the SUGAR/CARB/HIGH refinded foods might become my new addiction if I don't do something! So I am in! Thank you for being our motivator/guide/leader and all that if you are willing!!!!!!!!!!!!! :l
Liv

memarcie
April 6th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I'm in!

I've been trying(not very hard) to lose since the beginning of the year. I am determined not to gain weight after I quit smoking Jan 1st.

So far I'm down about 5lbs for the year, but I'd like to lose 25 more. I've been keeping track of all calories I eat/drink each day. I try to limit myself to 1200 calories and if I want to eat more I need to burn off those calories ahead of time using my elliptical.

It works when I do it, however I am not as good about it as I should be!

betty boop
April 6th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Seto;305329 wrote: Hi everyone :new:
Great idea and just what I am looking for. I have been on weightwatchers for oh years on and off. I am starting Day 1 of 30 AF days today. Even though generally I count my wine points in I have found that I am still not losing weight, even though I exercise really well - most days managing a 5 mile run/power walk. Could it be possible my body is used to the weightwatcher diet and I should try something else? Your advice would be much appreciated. Obviously cutting out the wine will really help but I want to lose around a stone in 6 weeks. :thanks: SetoXXXXX
Seto, It's a common misconception that our bodies get used to what we eat and therefore eventually stop losing weight with our foods, however, in truth we get fed up with eating the same foods and same patterns so we tend to 'cheat' a little bit more often ..........

That is the reason why we tend to lose more when we try something different ......

BB xx

betty boop
April 6th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Dolly Sunshine;305333 wrote: I'm in...I soooo need to lose.
Hi Dolly, I will be setting my targets tomorrow, are you joining us???

BB xx

betty boop
April 6th, 2008, 09:54 AM
livingfree;305409 wrote: Betty B - awesome - Thank you for being our motivator/guide/leader and all that if you are willing!!!!!!!!!!!!! :l
Liv
Livingfree I will do my best .......

BB xx

betty boop
April 6th, 2008, 09:55 AM
memarcie;305412 wrote: I'm in!

I've been trying(not very hard) to lose since the beginning of the year. I am determined not to gain weight after I quit smoking Jan 1st.

So far I'm down about 5lbs for the year, but I'd like to lose 25 more. I've been keeping track of all calories I eat/drink each day. I try to limit myself to 1200 calories and if I want to eat more I need to burn off those calories ahead of time using my elliptical.

It works when I do it, however I am not as good about it as I should be!

Marcie, soooo very true .............

flyinhigh
April 6th, 2008, 10:27 AM
i'm in!!!

need to shed this wine weight, hate when my jeans don't fit right....very depressing

couple of ?'s:

1. how do you really keep track of calories?...i know i can read the label, but i cook a lot, and can't figure how to track every bit of everything i eat.
2. goals, how to be realistic....i want the sports illustrated bathing suit model body!!!!!
3. what is a stone's equivalence to pound?

i need the daily kick in the arse...been lazy...thank you bb for this thread!

betty boop
April 6th, 2008, 10:37 AM
flyinhigh;305462 wrote: i'm in!!!

need to shed this wine weight, hate when my jeans don't fit right....very depressing

couple of ?'s:

1. how do you really keep track of calories?...i know i can read the label, but i cook a lot, and can't figure how to track every bit of everything i eat.
2. goals, how to be realistic....i want the sports illustrated bathing suit model body!!!!!
3. what is a stone's equivalence to pound?

i need the daily kick in the arse...been lazy...thank you bb for this thread!
To really keep of track of them 100% you should weigh all the ingredients as they go in. The eating plan I lost 3 stone with gives you 'free foods' that you don't have to weigh or measure ........ Slimming World - discover the amazing you (http://www.slimming-world.co.uk)

Yes you need to be realistic, but having a goal is important!!! Keep looking at the pictures if it helps ...

A stone is 14 pounds ............

BB xx

betty boop
April 6th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Here is 7 day eating plan for vegetarians .... Free Trial Menu - 7 Days of Slimming Success! - Slimming World (http://www.slimmingworld.com/healthy_eating/free_trial_menu.aspx)

and for meat eaters .... Free Trial Menu - 7 Days of Slimming Success! - Slimming World (http://www.slimmingworld.com/healthy_eating/free_trial_menu.aspx)

Beck
April 6th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Hey Betty Boop,

I'm in as well. A few years ago I was a keen runner and lost a bunch of weight (2 stone). Unfortunately, I quit the running before I quit the drinking!!!

Anyway, I'm in. Need to be much more diligent than I have been in a while. Now that I have lost the AL, I am ready to lose the weight.

Beck

memarcie
April 6th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Here's a calculator for converting lbs to stone or vice versa! Convert stone to pound - conversion of measurement units (http://www.convertunits.com/from/stone/to/pound)

I have a small notebook that I carry in my purse and write down what I eat and the calories on the label. If it is something I'm making, many recipes have calorie content as well. I have a book that lists calories of most foods and I just add up what I'm making in a recipe. Kind of a pain, but it really helps to know and makes me think twice about eating something. After I'm more familiar with what is in most foods it will get easier.

memarcie
April 6th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Yep, like Betty said, I weigh my foods as well. Bought a nice digital scale to weigh in oz or grams a few weeks ago.

lukalee
April 6th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I'm in. My problem isn't so much about losing weight, but the weight I have is flabby. I need to increase my protein and exercise. I have started the protein issue this week, but I hate exercising. Any recommendations for good, high protein meals (sick of chicken) and excercise for those who hate it?

lukalee
April 6th, 2008, 10:50 AM
A great book I borrowed from a friend is "Making the Cut" by Jillian Michaels (the chic from The Biggest Loser. It is a 30 day challenge, which includes meals and an excercise program. The meals I can handle, but the excercise is wow! But if I could get that body after 30 days!!!!

mya
April 6th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Count me in!!

I quit drinking on Jan 7th and sweets have become my best friend!! I have been exercising on the treadmill and elpitical and also doing free weights, I have only lost 2lbs in 3 months!!! My legs are alot toner but I can't get ride of my stomach!! Alot of clothes are fitting better but I need to find some exercising that work for my upper thighs and the so called saddle bags.
thanks BB and any advice would be great.
I really excited about this.
mya

betty boop
April 6th, 2008, 12:05 PM
lukalee;305479 wrote: I'm in. My problem isn't so much about losing weight, but the weight I have is flabby. I need to increase my protein and exercise. I have started the protein issue this week, but I hate exercising. Any recommendations for good, high protein meals (sick of chicken) and excercise for those who hate it?
Lukalee, I'm not a fan of the Atkins diet as it can be dangerous, however if you google it they have some good recipes that can be included in a healthy eating plan ......

BB xx

betty boop
April 6th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Beck;305476 wrote: Hey Betty Boop,

I'm in as well. A few years ago I was a keen runner and lost a bunch of weight (2 stone). Unfortunately, I quit the running before I quit the drinking!!!

Anyway, I'm in. Need to be much more diligent than I have been in a while. Now that I have lost the AL, I am ready to lose the weight.

Beck
Welcome Beck, keep us posted of your progress .....

BB xx

betty boop
April 6th, 2008, 12:09 PM
mya;305499 wrote: I quit drinking on Jan 7th and sweets have become my best friend!! I have been exercising on the treadmill and elpitical and also doing free weights, I have only lost 2lbs in 3 months!!! My legs are alot toner but I can't get ride of my stomach!! Alot of clothes are fitting better but I need to find some exercising that work for my upper thighs and the so called saddle bags.
thanks BB and any advice would be great.
I really excited about this.
mya
Mya, although I am trained in nutrition, excercise is not my favourite topic ........ I don't have a lot of advice there ..... Hopefully a fitness expert will come along sometime ........

BB xx

ready2quit
April 6th, 2008, 12:29 PM
weight loss

I'm doing ok weight wise so far. Have lost about 4 lbs in about a month. I contribute that mostly to the cutback in wine calories. I exercise about 1 to 1 1/2 hours a day 5X's a week. I eat a lot of veges. If I get stressed I eat raw carrots...I buy the mini ones in the bag so it's quick to pour some out and pepper them. I have noticed, though, since abstaining that I crave sweets. I have eaten all my kids Easter candy. I know I need to control that in order to maintain good health and weight. That's my main delima right now. I look forward to any support and advise you can give. Thanks...readytoquit

betty boop
April 6th, 2008, 12:37 PM
ready2quit;305549 wrote: I'm doing ok weight wise so far. Have lost about 4 lbs in about a month. I contribute that mostly to the cutback in wine calories. I exercise about 1 to 1 1/2 hours a day 5X's a week. I eat a lot of veges. If I get stressed I eat raw carrots...I buy the mini ones in the bag so it's quick to pour some out and pepper them. I have noticed, though, since abstaining that I crave sweets. I have eaten all my kids Easter candy. I know I need to control that in order to maintain good health and weight. That's my main delima right now. I look forward to any support and advise you can give. Thanks...readytoquit
Ready2quit, A diet high in carbs is really good to stop sweet cravings, but if you prefer to eat less carbs as many people do, then sweet fruit is good, a tip from my slimming group members is frozen grapes, suck them like a boiled sweet, also in the UK we have sugar free jelly, very low calorie and good for sweet cravings ...... as I'm not a sweet lover I don't have many ideas but i'm sure that others will be along with better ideas soon .....

BB xx

trixietrack
April 6th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Sunbeam;305348 wrote: Really good good eating books I have read include Midless Eating and Volumetrics. In Defense of Food is also fabulously informative. Any other suggestions? I have the impression the Weight Watchers also offers really sound advice.
In defense of food by Michael Pollan is a great book he has also written another one called the omnivores dilema.

it's more of an understanding of eating habits and industrialized food.

I am now on a mostly raw diet. It feels great. so I'll join you ladies and gents

trixietrack
April 6th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I really suggest not succuming to the sweets craving. it will make you moody. try fruits. some vegetables are high in sugar. if you must eat starch. eat potatoes, yams (good good). beets and carrots are also sweet.

candy is not a good way to deal with cravings. you might need to up your vitamin Bs also.

trixietrack
April 6th, 2008, 01:28 PM
betty boop;305531 wrote: Lukalee, I'm not a fan of the Atkins diet as it can be dangerous, however if you google it they have some good recipes that can be included in a healthy eating plan ......

BB xx
If you are going to increase your protein intake. please be sure to eat a lot of greens and vegetables. you also need to up calcium.

I have a high protein diet. and yes you will get lean muscle tone if you eat high protein.
you will need to up the greens like 1 to 2 lbs a day. ( weight before cooking)

betty boop
April 6th, 2008, 02:30 PM
trixietrack;305582 wrote: In defense of food by Michael Pollan is a great book he has also written another one called the omnivores dilema.

it's more of an understanding of eating habits and industrialized food.

I am now on a mostly raw diet. It feels great. so I'll join you ladies and gents
Trixie, this might sound odd, but what does a mostly raw diet consist of???

Sounds really interesting ........

BB xx

TiredofHiding
April 6th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Hey BB - I'm glad to have this thread. I have known for years there is a link between sugar and white empty carbs and my horrible problem with alcohol. I could eat sugar by the pound when I am drinking and one leads to the other no matter what.

My doctor, who put me on campral, also suggested the South Beach Diet last year. She said her patients have had great success with it and the white flour issues were good for me to work on. It is low carb but not Atkins style - it focuses on healthy carbs and low-fat proteins. I eat a lot of chicken and salads and legumes and steamed veggies. I also eat a lot of nuts and indulge in sugar free popsicles and jello for "dessert." I have been craving pickles and olives (especially jalepeno or garlic stuffed). I don't know if its to get rid of the sweet craving or lacking sodium or what.

Anyway, I started last fall half-heartedly and lost 11 pounds by Jan 1. Since January 1 I've lost another 22 (was 24 but I gained 2 back in my romantic weekend last week and wont' know if I got rid of them again until tomorrow morning).

I highly suggest a diet that gets rid of sugar - - it'll drive you nuts for a few days but once you get rid of the cravings it all goes away - sugar, flour, cakey stuff, and AL.

I need to work on the exercise side of it now. going to go for a bike ride with my daughter this afternoon and have been trying to do crunches at night. I have a good 50 - 60 pounds to go to be where I want but feel confident with this diet I can do it because it takes care of all the cravings. If I eat pasta or bread I want more and I want Al. If I avoid them all, I am fine. when I get further along I will incorporate his other techniques in making sure any foods high in simple carbs are combined wtih protein or fat to help slow the glucose spike.

Anyway - thanks for starting this board. I hope my experience inspires someone to look at a south beach-like diet.

betty boop
April 6th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Tiredofhiding, where can we find details about this? I'm in the UK so i'm not familiar with it .....

DO they have a website ????

BB xx

MyOwnWoman
April 6th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I'm definitely in!!

BB, the South Beach diet has been one of the 'all the rage' diets here in the States, for a few years. And IMHO it makes the most sense of the many 'fad' diets.

As I mentioned in another thread, I just got back home from an 8 day vacation. This is my 12th day AF - I've cut way back the past several months but this is the longest consecutive run I've had in years, and I'm sticking with it. I also have quit smoking - been cig free for 9 days. So now I'm ready for a whole new start with my body - eating and exercise.

I plan to do mostly raw food. I was a raw fooder a few years back and was healthier, more vibrant and thinner than I had ever been in my life. It's a great way to cleanse and lose weight. For more info, do a search. I read tons about it back then, was well prepared. There is vast info out there on raw foods diets.

While on vacation I got a lot more exercise than usual, as my daughter and I did lots of walking and some hiking, etc. Exercise has always been the hardest for me. But I will be establishing a routine and sticking with it.

I'm also going to use every positive thinking and manifesting power available. Starting with....
I AM IN THE PROCESS OF LOSING 75 pounds!!!
:jumpwow:

WA
April 6th, 2008, 03:27 PM
would love to join...but I have this feeling im not going to lose any wieght in the near furture...best to you all though...keeps tips and advice for me will need them later...LOL
Jacqui xxx

aquamarine
April 6th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Hi Betty and everyone else. I would love to join. I need to lose 25 pounds and want to start now. This sounds great. Aquamarine

TiredofHiding
April 6th, 2008, 05:58 PM
The website is southbeachdiet.com the book has been out for several years. As with any diet there are those who take to extremes and those who heed the science. It has been working for me and is a diet I am comfortable with. I don't know what others say, but I feel good with it.

Got more sugar free popsicles, pickles, and salad today.

flyinhigh
April 6th, 2008, 06:32 PM
we need a goal tracker here...i want to lose 10-15...

i posted this as a thread before but i'll bring it up again, does anyone here suffer from hypoglycemia?

i do and have done some research on it...watch out for the carbs....

trixietrack
April 7th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Hi bb. mostly raw means eating raw vegetables. and raw nuts . anything that hasn't been cooked.
I wouldn't recommend it in cold weather.

you basically end up eating loads of vegetables . you can puree them in a blender. to make cold soups.
or grated over leafy vegetables.

some people recommend also sushi, but I worry about the bacterial content .

you can also soften grains and beans by soaking them.

lightly steamed veggies also work.

Dolly Sunshine
April 7th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I'm a big fan of South Beach. I just have to really stick with it. I need to lose about 40 lbs. Are we going to weigh in like once a week?

memarcie
April 7th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I've heard of south beach, but never tried it. I'm intrigued, think I may try a membership online, they do have a free trial. You have to use a credit card, but then you can cancel. I may look at the book too. I really need to go through my kitchen and throw out all the bad crap in there!!

Dolly Sunshine
April 7th, 2008, 03:53 PM
It really helps me with the AL cravings when I stick with the program.

gemmy1
April 7th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I need to lose weight but need to get medical issues out of the way 1st. So many foods I can't eat now since I have diverticulitis. Some people do fine with it but I am not one of the lucky ones. The foods I can have right now are soft , mashed potatoes, carrots, pasta and some meats. I also have a tiwsted colon for which I am going in for my 4th ct scan , this one to see how twisted my colon is. Been in the hospital 3x's since Nov 07. I'll keep checking in. GL all.

TiredofHiding
April 7th, 2008, 10:13 PM
South Beach

If you decide to try South Beach, definitely read the book. I don't know how much the online version really explains things and the book gives you the skills you need to make good choices when not at home. Plus, I'm a big fan of understanding "why" you're doing or not doing something. The program really works and is easy to get in a groove with and to see results quickly.

Let me know what you think.

MyOwnWoman
April 7th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Gemmy, that sounds awful. I hope you heal soon.
If you aren't already, I'd recommend seeing a practitioner who knows about healthy whole foods and nutritional healing. I wish you wellness!!

lucky 2.0
April 7th, 2008, 10:39 PM
gemmy,

can you eat quinoa? it is one of the world's healthiest foods.

MyOwnWoman
April 7th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Lucky is thinking my thoughts for me. I wanted to add that eating pasta isn't a great thing. If you're having digestive issues you really ought not eat refined grains of any sort.
And quinoa is the Queen of Grains, gentle yet powerful nutrition. I have a bowl of quinoa with spinach most mornings for breakfast.

memarcie
April 8th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Tired, did you ever try any of the South Beach cookbooks?

I saw on Amazon they have a new version of the book called South Beach Diet Supercharged that comes out April 28th
Amazon.com: The South Beach Diet Supercharged: Faster Weight Loss and Better Health for Life: Arthur Agatston,Joseph Signorile: Books

I'm not sure if I'll order this one or the current one.

TiredofHiding
April 8th, 2008, 07:34 AM
hmmm.. no I haven't seen that one. I'll go check it out - Barnes and Noble is my favorite hang out. I have the original book and I have a diabetic cookbook I find a lot of interesting recipes in. I did several soups with meat and veggies when it was cold. Now that we're in the mid-80s (I already see a scorcher of a summer), we've been doing lots of salads and grilled chicken.

One of my favorite recipes is an almond-encrusted chicken on a bed of lettuce - juice and crunchhy and just yummy.

I need to get out some of the books and find some new recipes - we've been so busy I'm doing the "same ol' same ol'" every night.

I managed to do some crunches and stretches last night - not much. I set the alarm for 20 minutes early this morning with the intent of getting on the elliptical but just got in the shower instead - wasn't inspired. Maybe later . . .

MyOwnWoman
April 8th, 2008, 08:27 AM
You gals are just about convincing me to try the South Beach diet. I've always poo-pooed diet plans, even though I've had respect for the South Beach. But I'm not doing very well on my own here, and I'm really REALLY so DONE with being this overweight!! I've let go of so much negative thinking about myself, and since I got my new hair cut I see "pretty" when I look in the mirror. I've also let go of shame issues about my body, and I know that whether I'm attractive or not, I have no interest in finding a man at this time.
THEREFORE - I have no need or reason to carry around this excess body weight any longer!!!

betty boop
April 8th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Hi all, sorry been AWOL, had a horrendous few days at work, but this thread is really thriving .........

Be back later when I have more time .......

BB xx

memarcie
April 8th, 2008, 10:52 AM
MOW, I never really do diet plans either, but what I'm doing isn't working. I hope getting on a plan like South Beach and having you guys around will be inspiration!

Accountable for Me
April 8th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I am on day 3 now with my new eating plan. Very much the same as the South Beach Diet. Feeling a little bit less bloated.

We needed another thread such as. Thanks BB.

Just a question though. Can eating too much spinach be toxic? All my salads are made from spinach, and I have two moderate-sized ones a day when I get hungry and don't want any junk.

hippie37
April 8th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Hi Boopster!

I've lost 11pounds in 4 weeks through simply changing my diet and using supplements to get my body metabolism working properly. It has not been hard either as I haven't reduced my eating habits, in fact I've increased them slightly by eating healthy snacks in between meals. I usually just eat fruit, nuts and berries as a snack, particularly almonds and goji berries. I eat lots of fish (sardines and tinned tuna) and grass fed (free range) meat and poultry. I have a raw free-range egg 3 times a week as this is the best natural protein I think and I've totally stopped eating processed foods. Cutting the processed shite out has, I think, been the best thing I could have done and I also avoid anything that says low-fat on it as it usually means it comes at the expense of added carbs and sugars. Sugar is another thing I have cut back completely on as well as salt. This has been a bit difficult due to me being a smoker but I've gradually got used to eating whole foods again without using added salt to flavour. I've also only been doing more walking/hiking (Not long back from a camping trip in North Wales actually) and I'm about to start an exercise program called PACE (Progressively Accelerating Cardiopulmonary Exertion).

I actually started this healthy living program about 6 weeks ago but I weighed in at 87kg (191.80Ilbs) when I saw my GP less than 4 weeks ago and I now weigh 82kg (180.77Ilbs). The key is not to think of it as dieting as you will automatically think you are depriving yourself of foods. You just have to change the type of foods you eat so the metabolism can work properly in your favour.

I would suggest to anyone read a book called "The Doctor's Heart Cure" by Dr. Al Sears. It's eye opening and gives lots of good advise as well. If I can do this then I'm more than sure anyone can, if they give it a go. There has been a noticeable reduction in belly fat as well so I know I'm loosing fat and not just muscle. If I carry on the way I'm going I should be down to my ideal weight in no time at all and this time next year I'll have a six pack!!!

Be healthy people
Love and Happiness
Hippie
xx

amethyst
April 8th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Hippie, I am reading that book right now. It sounds very sensible, and the interval exercising sounds great. My only problem right now is my quinoa. Like MOW, I have a bowl of it with spinach (and garlic;)) for breakfast most mornings. He doesn't seem to like grains at all-even the whole grains. So I guess I will have to modify. I just don't think I can face the day without my quinoa and garlic:H
By the way-congratulations on the weight loss.

trixietrack
April 8th, 2008, 12:21 PM
hey am. just reduce the amount of quinoa and have fruit as well. quinoa is actually a very light grain.

don't cut out completely. it is so good for you.

LVT25
April 8th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Hi Betty and everyone else here!

I finally got my Internet back (I was starting to have MWO withdrawals!!):H

It's taking me a while to catch up, but I'd love to join this thread. I quit smoking 38 days ago, and cut WAY back on the beer because of it. Now I REALLY need to get motivated to eat right and exercise!!! I'll get on the scale tomorrow morning and see where I'm at. (I've been avoiding that!!)

COUNT ME IN!

memarcie
April 8th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Tired, I just bought the book. Reading some tonight. In honor of buying the South Beach Diet book, hubby and I went out to our favorite Mexican restaurant and I had a seafood chimichanga and cheese dip, chips, and salsa. I'm sure only 2000 calories or something like that :H

MyOwnWoman
April 8th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Marcie, sounds like something I'd do.

I am going to be reading Michael Pollan's new book, In Defense of Food. That will likely shake up my food awareness. He's my hero.
If I'm still not on track by the time the new South Beach comes out I'll get that and DO IT.

memarcie
April 9th, 2008, 06:23 AM
I'm going to get the new one as well, but I didn't want to wait 3 weeks!

KAT20
April 9th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Hey everyone, Just was told about this and I'm in. Name a diet, I've tried it. Last one was called Iasgenix. Two shakes a day, organic foods and a healthy meal once a day. The idea behind it is we are toxic and you stick to this healthy organic stuff and one day called a cleanse and rid your body of weight and toxins. When I first started it I lost 11 lbs., it is also big on measuring yourself, which I agree because sometimes you won't see results on the scale. Not a bad diet but the stuff is expensive and it becomes boring. I am back to weight watches and doing it on line as I have a pretty good understanding of the program. I have been exercising on and off for the past year. Like all of you I have gone on and off diets and let AL shoot my calories through the roof. I am now taking a cycling class at the YMCA which is tightening my legs and not as hard on the knees as aerobics. Too soon to give you any updates as I have only been on ww again since Mon. I am incorporating things from other diets like the 5 small meals a day, whole grains and nuts. I have also started Dr Oz's book you on a diet which explains to us why diets fail. As well I will update you on that. Best to you all.

memarcie
April 9th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Kat what did you think of South Beach Diet?

Hubby and I are going shopping on Friday to buy food for the next week or so. He will be dieting with me. I ordered a pedometer last week and it came today. I have a friend who wears one and if she doesn't get 10,000 steps in she goes on her treadmill. I think that is a pretty realistic goal to keep.

myra
April 9th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Betty Boop you are my new best friend. Have been trying to lose weight and have lost about 12 pounds. But that is since January!! So very slow. Not drinking a ton of wine will help. Been doing wieght watchers.

Goal is to walk, walk, walk.

flyinhigh
April 9th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Hey everyone hope this finds you doing well...and feelin' good!

I was doing some research about slimming down and I found a source that talked about soup helping. One bowl of soup helps slim you down...brought this to a friend of mine. Of course she said, liquids help your metabolism stay (in motion...in active gear?) going. So drinking all that water does cleanse you but helps your metabolism too.
Hippie, what supps are you taking to get your metabolism set right?
Ive suffered from hypoglycemia and have started taking Glutamine, but for only a couple days now.

now I just need a boost in energy, going to perk up in my iron content...we'll see

lukalee
April 9th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I bought an exercise bike this week. I was going to join a gym, but I really cannot see dragging myself there, especially with the kids. So, I hope this helps me at least get some sort of exercise in. I had to buy some comfort food for lunch today (double cheeseburger from McDonald's), but I figured that was better than stopping for a 12 pack!!!!!

MyOwnWoman
April 9th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Another benefit in soup for weight loss is that it fills you up so you end up getting lots of liquid and fewer calories in your meal. (of course not too helpful if you have potato cheddar soup with bacon!!)

wantrealmeaning
April 10th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Hi everyone,
i'd love to join in this thread. I think I need to loose about 35lbs, i haven't got any scales at home, but I can weigh myself at the local swimming baths, they have a weighing machine that works out your bmi so i'll go there tomorrow.
I do eat healthy food, just a lot of it when I'm craving al, then crack up and have a binge on al, once or twice a week, that's become a pattern for me since Chrismas, i haven't been very active so i have piled the weight on. better than not eating and drinking 2 to 3 bottles of wine a day. I'm at a point where i'm ready to change my pattern again.
No more binge drinking and more exercise.
I'm going to check out the south beach diet

thanks for this thread

want
xxx

TiredofHiding
April 10th, 2008, 07:54 AM
steppin up the exercise

Mornin'

I'm so glad this thread is going. I feel like I am a bit stuck in my weight loss efforts - not being as careful about portions and eating fattier things than I should. I need to get back to my salads and chicken and really need to kick in the exercise. I am afraid I am going to be all flabby skin if I don't start doing some weight training.

I moved my hand weights to the family room where our tv is. I figured I should lift weights or do other exercise during commercials on shows we watch (normally about an hour a night). It's a start . . . .

It is funny the excuses we use - I was going to get on the elliptical this morning but then I'd have to wash my hair and I just wanted a pony tail day. stupid - wash your hair woman! Maybe after work I'll go for a bike ride with my daughter if the winds aren't too bad today.

Booklvr
April 10th, 2008, 01:43 PM
This looks like the site for me. I need to lose some weight. I think cutting back on the vino will help! I pray that not only will I get my life back on track but I will also get my body back - or at least my waistline. the book keeps talking aobut the topo as a weight lose aid. Has anyone found this to be true?

IAD
April 10th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Have you ever took a dump and lost 5 lbs.......that's what I'm shooting for !!! IAD Sorry all just thoiught I'ld share !

KAT20
April 10th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Memarcie and all your healthy people out there, Sorry I could not get on line till now. South beach was probably the most enjoyable food selections. I think my biggest issue is planning ahead, especially if you want some of the recipes suggested. It is similar to zone and others with 3 meals and small snacks, lean proteins, whole grains and no refined carbs. I just find weight watchers easier with the points system. I try to pick foods in the core plan which are the lean meats and whole grains. I thinks when it comes down to it alot of these are the same with different variations, just depends what fits yourlife style. I have taken recipes from my zone, south beach and weight watchers book. Hey, the ricotta dessert on South Beach is pretty good. Best to you and all of us on this journey. I have 2 points left tonight and am going to have 4oz of wine. Not much and thats a good thing.

lukalee
April 10th, 2008, 07:22 PM
IAD, LOL!!!! I swear I'll weigh myself in the morning when I get up, take a dump, and then weigh myself again to see if it made a difference. LOL

KAT20
April 10th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Ditto.....and then I run around the house and do burn outs like my dog after her takes a dump.

betty boop
April 11th, 2008, 05:01 AM
WOW how busy is this thread ........

I'm going to search the south beach diet .......

Good luck to everybody .......

BB xx

betty boop
April 11th, 2008, 05:13 AM
I just bought these e-books on ebay .......

Lose Weight Now - Diets for Everyone in 24 E-Books on eBay, also, How-To Guides, Information Products, Everything Else (end time 05-May-08 16:31:51 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lose-Weight-Now-Diets-for-Everyone-in-24-E-Books_W0QQitemZ5617178993QQihZ014QQcategoryZ102485 QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262)

Looks like a bargain ......

BB xx

betty boop
April 11th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Don't know if this will work but here is the link that they sent me, it has the south beach diet plus many more .......

http://www.inthepurple.co.uk/16564947_Diet.zip

BB xx

memarcie
April 11th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Hubby and I are "officially" starting South Beach tomorrow. We are going grocery shopping tonight! Betty, I liked how Flip did her weight loss posts in Subscriber where each week she started a new post to say how much she lost etc. What do you think of that?

betty boop
April 11th, 2008, 07:17 AM
memarcie;308569 wrote: Hubby and I are "officially" starting South Beach tomorrow. We are going grocery shopping tonight! Betty, I liked how Flip did her weight loss posts in Subscriber where each week she started a new post to say how much she lost etc. What do you think of that?
Marcie, that was what I was going to do but just never found the time ........

I will weigh myself when I get home and post my goals ....

BB XX

memarcie
April 11th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I'll post tomorrow morning with my starting point. Of course I've been eating like crap this week just because I know I'm starting a diet. Kinda like we try to have one last bender before going AF!

Dolly Sunshine
April 11th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Ok I'll start 185(eek worse than I thought) Goal 135. So instead of the 40 I thought it's actually 50.

MyOwnWoman
April 11th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I posted the following in the Subs forum, but realized it ought to be here. Any advice welcome!

So, as I've mentioned, I am lightyears from where i was a few months ago in many regards. Whereas I used to drink disgusting amounts, I have very few drinking days and relish my many AF days and the ease with which they come. I'm now a proud non-smoker. I've made peace with so many previous demons.

One of those demons was shame and disgust with my body. I no longer relate to the sexual abuse of my childhood. Whereas I used to feel shame for having a fat body, and knew that when I am thin I feel shame in being attractive, now I know it's all for me. who cares what anyone else thinks. Lately I've been feeling very beautiful and accepting of my body just the way it is. HUGE progress!!

And yet... I am very overweight, and now it's a health concern for me. I want to feel better and lessen my risk of health risks due to excess fat. I'm about 75 pounds overweight, and because I carry most of it around my middle I am at high risk for heart disease, diabetes, etc. And yes, I'd love to be thinner and wear cute summer dresses.

So I've been wondering, with all the advances I've made, what is still holding me back from really getting down to the business of losing weight?

Answer: I am very much afraid of being in relationship. I'm afraid that if I'm thin and therefore more attractive, I might find myself in relationship. And I am loving being single, and I have had some really shitty relationships. Yes, I know it's my choice as to whether or not get into relationship, but because I am so horny lately (excruciatingly so at times!) and know that when I'm feeling happy and beautiful I want to share it, I fear that I'll get into relationship even if part of me doesn't want to.

May not make lots of sense, but that's where I am. And I want to get over this block so I will do the weight loss!!

I want to be beautiful and sexy and fit -- and SINGLE!!

Dolly Sunshine
April 12th, 2008, 02:36 AM
It makes a lot of sense. I think that is what I have done. A weight barrior beats getting hurt.

lukalee
April 12th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I'm sorry you feel that way MOW. Once you start losing the weight, you will realize that you truly are the one in control of your dating situation, just like you are now. You are beautiful now, shedding pounds won't make the difference unless you want it to.

LVT25
April 12th, 2008, 11:09 AM
MWO--join us and we'll help each other. You're inspiring in your non-smoking, etc... now we can take the next challenge on.....together!