PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss - Starting weigh in

memarcie
April 12th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I think we should start a new thread each week to post how we are doing and weight(if you want). I'm starting the South Beach Diet today, going to try that for a couple weeks and see if I can stick to it and go from there. I weighed myself this morning and as expected I'm 200lbs. I would like to lose 30lbs. I'm 6' tall and weighed 155-160 most of my adult life. I've gained 30-40lbs in the past 3 years and I need to turn that around and get myself healthy!

Betty thanks for posting the link with the diet books in it. I skimmed the South Beach portion, I bought the book myself last week as well.

Good luck to everyone!

lukalee
April 12th, 2008, 08:04 AM
What I need to do instead of weighing in is take my measurements. I weighed 131lbs. on Monday, which is still within the "normal" range for my height (5'3''), but I am genetically prone for all that weight to generate at the hips, butt, and thighs with the lovely cellulite that goes with it. And I know as I get older my muscle will continue to turn to fat unless I do something about it now (I am 36).
I was doing well with eating more healthy protein and lowering my fat intake, but last night I gorged on a lot of sweets to avoid AL, so I have a feeling my hard work this week went to the pisser. :(

aquamarine
April 12th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Hi Everyone- Thanks for starting this. I weigh 150lbs and want to lose 25 pounds to reach 125. I have basically made up my own diet and vitamin regimen and am lifting weights and walking aiming to progress to running. I think this would be a great way to do this along with others. Thanks! Aquamarine

MyOwnWoman
April 12th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Oh goodness.. I have such reservation about putting my weight on here!! Jeez, I guess I still have more issues than I thought I did - yikes.

I haven't weighed myself in several weeks, will do Monday (don't have a scale at home, I use the one at the drug store). I'll do measurements too.

My food intake will be ideal if I can just cut out the snacking while I'm at work. There's a closet full of snacks right next to my office and I am in it several times a day! I don't snack like that when I'm not at work. Nervous energy I suppose. Otherwise I eat quite well, though could cut back on portion sizes.

So snacking and exercise - those are the biggies for me. If I'm not making any progress by the time the new South Beach book comes out end of the month I'll get it and do that diet.

Wishing everyone successful slimming!

KAT20
April 12th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Good afternoon all, I'm 5'2" and 156 today. I started Weight watchers online again and lost 1.4lbs since Tues. Could have been better But overindulged alittle last night. Am going to get on my treadmill later as I slept through my cycle class. My goal is 135lbs. , I am 42 this year and my mother and aunt are overweight. I know if I don't take it off now it just gets harder. I'll post and tips or recipes that seem to work for me.

LVT25
April 12th, 2008, 11:05 AM
:no: Do I have to??? Last winter I tried to quit smoking, so I joined Weight watchers online, and started walking 3-4 miles everyday. I lost about 10#--despite the quitting smoking. Well gradually, I started smoking again, quit walking, stopped eating right, or tracking what I ate--figured I knew it all.....Now 1 year later I'm almost back to where I started.

This time, I quit smoking for good (40 days so far) and in order to be successful at that I had to quit drinking. Next--exercise and get some weight off. I know what to do, just need to do it. I'm 5'3" and 47 years old.

Here goes: 144# :egad::durn:

Goal: 130# and firm up! :help!

Dolly Sunshine
April 12th, 2008, 12:20 PM
OK 5'5" 185(ouch) Goal 135. We can do this.

Determinatrix
April 12th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I started going to the gym in January and start weight then was 160. After 4mos of religiously going to the gym 3-4 times a week I am still 160. Bottomline - the number on the scale is not my issue.

I do 20min of mat work, 1-1/2hrs weight lifting and lastly 20min of cardio getting my heartrate to 160.
I have a food intake journal, tracking my protein, carbs and calories. I eat very well, especially with Det's cooking.

While my body has changed in tone and firmness, my clothes fit the same and the scale keeps shouting the same number. Which is fine. I really don't want to buy all new clothes.

So, getting closer to my point (finally), clearly define your goal. Be realistic. I am 5'4" and 1/2 Italian. My goal cannot be 100lbs and heroine-chic. Just not my biology.

Yes, Dolly, we can do this!
Dx

flyinhigh
April 12th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I understand the idea of weighing in....but i don't own a scale...and my drug store doesn't have one either. I'm not sure if I need the incentive of a #. I will know I've reached my goal by the (weigh) I feel, and look in the mirror.

Why do people own scales?

Ive never had one in my life....and when I go to a friend's house who owns one....I always get depressed. I also find no scale is the same! So Im sorry, I have no # to give. I can only offer perspective and questions.

Bandit
April 12th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I agree with you flyinhigh - scales tell lies (but then I keep telling myself that so do photos and I'd love to believe that except that cameras just don't tell lies do they?!)
Best for me is clothes actually feeling loose, people actually telling me and finally the big scary double mirrored doors that cover my landing hotpress ( so you can get a great upfront and backfront view of yourself as you go up and down the stairs -Scary!)
And also the main thing is that we feel good about ourselves as us on the inside and realise eventually just how much this says to the outside world.
Best wishes,
Bandit

betty boop
April 14th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Well here goes ........

Monday 14th April, 184lbs. Need to lose at least 28.

My plan is to eat healthily, excercise more and drink less alcohol .......

BB xx

cowgal
April 14th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I am in

I want to join this thread!! I have been AF (on and off, more on than off though, starting another 30+ days now) I weigh 130 or so and want to get back down to 125 or so................not much weight, just want to firm up mostly.............without AL in the picture, it used to drop right off (the weight), but I guess it is getting older, it is harder!?:confused:

Will try to check in every week, that is the point, right????

Thanks for the thread!:thanks:

MA:l:h

Just going to eat sensibly and smaller portions, and leave al behind!;)

LVT25
April 14th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I posted my weight and goals last week, but seems I lost a couple over the weekend!

Current weight: 142# Goal weight: 130#

I agree, the scale is not that important. I really want to firm up, and feel better in my clothes. I plan to start walking everyday if possible, and eat healthier, no eating (except my Allone smoothie) after 8 pm. And go from there!!

Good luck every body!!

myra
April 14th, 2008, 10:24 AM
my goal is to lose 2 lbs this week. I will do this by
eating more veggies, more fruit,
drinking more water or tea,
no alcohol, no eating after 8 unless it is one of those damn sugar free pudding thingies.

My other goal for this week is to increase my walking by 15 minutes each day for a total of 45 - 60 minutes daily. Will have to take stairs, park in east egypt (which is easier to do at work than you know).

Will probably have this same goal until I lose the 50 lbs. Have lost 12, gained 5, lost 3...you get the idea. Still down 7 lbs overall. I know. TMI.

wantrealmeaning
April 14th, 2008, 12:38 PM
OK I'm in.

I did try to post on the other thread on Friday but got booted off, so here goes, try again.

I weighed myself at the local swimming baths, I don't have scales at home either. Didn't go swimming just weighed myself and came straight out (I'm not ready to get my cellulite out yet :blush:)

OK, I'm 4'11", yeah a right short arse, and weigh 158lbs :wow: I've put 28 of those lbs on over the last 10mths. I want to lose 38lbs altogether :please:.

My plan: I've also started the south beach diet today, it sounds pretty good to me and I'm hoping it will help with AL cravings, also taking 2 Fat Metaboliser pills a day, from health food shop. Don't know if they'll be any good but gonna give em a go anyway. I haven't done any exercise today but I have been gardening for 2hrs, I'm gonna go for a 20min walk every day to start with and then start on my many exercise videos.

Been shopping today and bought lots of veggies, salad, eggs, turkey, salmon and tuna. It's what I eat most of the time anyway, just cutting out the carbs and AL.

I hoping the weights gonna fly off my :moon: :pray:

good luck everyone
want
xxx

TiredofHiding
April 14th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Well, I debated all day about posting on here but I figure the things I've shared on these boards are a heck of a lot more personal and intimate than my weight and no one has made fun of me or been mean so . . .

I am at 227 today. I was 261 last November and have been losing in a fairly steady way with the South Beach. I am almost 5'8" and my goal is around 160 - we'll see how I feel and look when I get there.

lots of water and some exercise today. Tomorrow will be better.

myra
April 14th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Tired, how amazing that you have lost that much. You should be proud!

maggymay
April 15th, 2008, 01:11 AM
weekly weigh in

Okay good idea. am 182 now and goal is 150. Oatflakes and juice maker out from today. Like others, lack of proper excercise and snacks are a lot to do with it Age too i guess - 55 and post menopause. But live in a lovely part of the city so walk to work and at least that is something. AF yesterday without too much trouble thanks to mwo. This is my second day and looking forward to it. Slept like a baby as well.

will see you diet goes and look forward to giving and getting hints..

:goodjob:

flyinhigh
April 15th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Who finds it hard to fit time for exercise in?

I get up for work by 6, take care of myself and the two children (one is 10 the other 35) then off to work....work all day, try to find time for walk but during my "down" times I want to sit and zone out...I am a teacher. Then after school meetings, or cello practice, or something, the time to cook for the kiddies again arrives. After dinner I become a vegetable and need a chin cup to catch my drool! I would use AL here to give me a pick up so I could get paper work done, but now that he is going out of the picture, I still find myself lethargic and tired. Chamomile tea doesn't help.
I am on vaca this week and was able to get out for a walk by 7:30, but how do I make that a norm???? Is anyone else frustrated????

Dolly Sunshine
April 15th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I get up at 5:30. I just need to stick with it. I start out with a bang and always slack after a few weeks. I do find I have more energy when I force myself to make time for it.

amethyst
April 15th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Hey y'all. I'm in. I'm 5'5", and this morning weighed 169. 1.5 months ago it was 163. I have been drinking more, and snacking more, and exercising less. NOT a good combo-and I know better than that:confused:

I am going to be using a south beach diet type thing-but am having an allone /protein smoothie for breakfast. I will have a good lunch, or another protein shake if busy (instead of a drive through on the way to work).

Evenings are my biggest problem. I nosh through the evening, and add a couple of glasses of wine, and it is a recipe for disaster. I get home after the rest of the family has eaten dinner most nights, and don't want to dirty things up again. So I snack. I need to plan ahead, and make it real.

I am also adding in a couple of miles of walking as often as possible, and riding my bike for errands.

Good luck to us all.

memarcie
April 15th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Amethyst, the first 2 weeks of South Beach forbid any alcohol! So that's two reasons to be on the diet, lose weight and no AL! I've been on it for 4 days and it's going good. I'm losing weight, but I'll wait until it's been a week to post a total.

memarcie
April 16th, 2008, 07:46 PM
How are all my fellow dieters doing? I'm still sticking to South Beach, it hasn't been too bad. Except when I'm starving for something a work, they have no carb free snacks in the vending machine, LOL. They did have nuts which are ok on this diet, but of course when I tried to buy that selection was out of order! Oh well.

We are having a breakfast pig out at work next week. That is perfect, someone is bringing scrambled eggs and I'm bringing sausages! Of course I can't eat the donuts or yummy cakes that I'm sure others will bring, but I'm ok with that. I can hardly wait for Saturday so I can see how much weight I've lost this week!

Dolly Sunshine
April 16th, 2008, 07:52 PM
A more days on it and you will rarely even be hungry. I took cheese sticks and almonds to work to keep on hand b/c our snack cupboard is a carbaholics paradise. I'm dying to weigh myself but I will not do it till Sun(maybe if I keep telling myself that I really will wait)

wantrealmeaning
April 17th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Hi everyone,

It's day 4 of the south beach diet for me also and 9 days AF and I'm feeling pretty bloody marvelous. I feel as though I've lost weight but I haven't weighed myself yet, gonna do that on Monday. I had my hair cut yesterday, 1st time in almost 18mths, Yep, haven't been looking after myself for a long time. I feel like a new person, my kids keep saying young mummy's back, brill eh? I've been keeping active doing long over due jobs inside the house and in the garden, spent 5hrs doing my front garden yesterday. My arms and legs are acheing today. I need to start some regular exercise though. I want to start with a 20min walk every day but I'm having trouble getting into it cause i'm getting caught up in all the jobs that need doing. I 'll get there though. :)

happy weight loss everyone
:h

Dolly Sunshine
April 17th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Isn't it amazing the things we let go when drinking? Gardening is pretty darn good exercise :)

TiredofHiding
April 17th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I'm glad everyone is doing so well. I am struggling. I did South Beach and was AF for almost 90 days with no problem - no cheating - no stress no cravings. Then I indulged on my anniversary weekend - wine, champagne, the first potato and bread I'd had. I tried to get back in the groove after that and I am really struggling - two to three weeks now.

I went back on campral to try to help with the Al cravings and the sugar cravings. I need to get back in my groove because I still have a long way to go weight-wise and Al needs to go away forever.

I'm glad this board is here and y'all are on southbeach too - it really does work well with being AF. Get in the zone and stay there!

MyOwnWoman
April 17th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Wow - you gals are inspiring me!

I don't know WTF is going on with me - but I am eating more than ever!! Snacking at work is at an all time high this week. May be PMS, and it may be cuz I quit smoking. I think I gained some gut this week - dammit!!

I'm so frustrated. Why do I let myself grab for anything within reach to stuff in my face? (and there's lots to stuff at the office, I'm in the food biz and we have a closet full of food samples ---GGGRRRR)