Wednesday April 23rd.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wednesday April 23rd.

Hi. I know I'm cheating as it is only 10:25 P.M. here on Tuesday, but being on the west coast of Canada I never get a chance to be the first to post.

13 days AF and still doing well. I think tongues have started wagging amongst family members though. My mother in law likes to gossip. Anyway, I am way, way past caring what other people think about my drinking/not drinking.

My wife still thinks I should be able to have just one glass of wine with dinner. I have failed miserably at attempts to moderate in the past and do not plan on going that route again. The great thing is I am ok with not drinking again. I had a good run, time to fold the cards and push back from the table. I feel like I have a new lease on life. Time to see where it takes me.

Have a good AF day today.

Wednesday April 23rd.

Morning Guys

Mohun _ I was pleasantly surprised that someone got on before me! I've got into a habit of starting this thing off now!!

I love your attitude that you've had a good run and its time for change - that's the way I feel too - keep it up!!

It was a lovely day yesterday in england (not looking so good today though) - I went out last night for a meal with some friends from work and had a lovely time - got home in time to watch the documentary on Heather Mills (still don't know what to make of her ??!!!!) Anyway I noticed a difference in myself last night - before when I went on these types of nights out I would have a couple of drinks (cos I was driving) then spend the rest of the night feeling like I was missing out, then be in a rush to get home so I could have a few more before I went to bed. Last night was good - I felt relaxed and just enjoyed myself without a drink - brilliant!

Want - well done on losing 4lbs - you must be really pleased must must must sniff out the south beachdiet at the weekend!

Limers - Welcome to the thread - its the 1st thing I do when i get up

Short of time now - read all the posts everyone seems happy, busy and upbeat - have a great dayxxx

P.s - Janice you said you were feeling a bit down - hope this has now passed xxx

Comment

Wednesday April 23rd.

Mohun - what a good positive post.
      Congrats on the 13 days and keep going.
      It's hard when your other half does not really recognise how important this struggle is for you. I have the same with my husband who really does not want to loose his drinking partner.
      Seen the light - glad you had such a good night and stayed AF.
      Unfotunately I went to a Ladies lunch yesterday and had a few glasses of wine. I am really dissapointed in myself today as I had no intention whatsoever of drinking. Had got to day 7 and now back to square 1 again. Terrible hangover today.
      I feel such despair, I am either thinking about drinking, drinking, or recovering form drinking.
      Wish I could get some of that clear positive thinking that so many here seem to have found.
      Best Wishes
      New.

Comment

Wednesday April 23rd.

I have just posted my story and am desperate. Reading all the positive advice and the care and concern people are showing has reduced me to tears. I need to be one of these success stories!

Comment

Wednesday April 23rd.

Im on day 3 and I feel better than yesterday .I have started every day this week with a long walk ,the weather is so nice it helps .I too have a partner that refuses to understand why I worry so much about my drinking ,but hes a good man and I will just have to accept he will never fully understand me,lol! I went to bed last night with a book that was not night time reading and had weird dreams all night ,however I still feel better today and woke up really glad that I didnt succumb to the beast again!

Comment

Wednesday April 23rd.

p.s. the beast being alcohol ,not my partner!!!lol

Comment

Wednesday April 23rd.

Good morning everyone

Another beautiful day with the sun shining. Have walked the doggies and now looking forward to getting out into the garden. Mohun, New, Limers, it seems a lot of us are in the same position with partners who still drink and its not a problem for them. My husband can cork the bottle and leave a glass in it. That's an impossibility for me, I would have to finish it and would be tempted to open another. As its me who has the problem I know its up to me to fix it. Alcohol will always be around but it does make it easier to slip when its in the house (speaking from experience).

On Day 24 and feeling good. It's great to wake up with a clear head in the morning. Janice hope all is going well back at work. Mary, hope your hubby is recovering. Cindi, hope your daughter is doing good. Everyone else a big hello, have a great day.

Rustop

Comment

Wednesday April 23rd.

I told my husband a couple of weeks ago that I wasnt drinking or smoking anymore and he said oh well you certainly gave it your best shot! I am not sure whether that is a compliment or an insult! I also said to him yesterday by the way its day 23 now are'nt you impresed with my progress and he said oh that's good mate..... ?????? WTF!
                BH

Comment

Wednesday April 23rd.

boozehag, Sometimes change is scarey for mates. Maybe he's worried about who the new you will be and if you will like him. Just a thought. :l You're doing great!
                  sigpic
                  Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Wednesday April 23rd.

Hi everyone,
                    Todays a good day for me, I've made it to day 15 AF for the first time in 7yrs. I posted about it on Starting Out, It's a big achievment for me, so at the risk of sounding narcistic I thought I'd blow my own trumpet.

Good for you Mohun, it's unfortunate that you wife doesn't understand, I think only people who have been in our situation can truly understand, as for the in-laws, well it only matters what you think. Sounds like your definately on the right track to me.

Thanks Seen, I am really pleased with the 4lbs lost. It is a good diet, hope you get to check it out a weekend. Well done staying AF last night.

Newbeginning, so sorry you slipped yesterday, please don't beat yourself up too much. Your back here today, don't give up, keep trying and the clouds will eventually disappear.
                    'thinking about drinking, drinking or recovering from drinking' it's a hideous not so merry
                    merrygoround to be on isn't it. Be kind to yourself :l.

Hi Limers, glad you feel better today. A long walk every morning sounds lovely and I bet it's done you a world of good. Are you sure the beast isn't your husband? lol, that made me giggle.

Rustop61 well done on day 24. I know that there is no-way I could have alcohol in the house. It's just me and my kids at home so I don't need to keep any in, thank God! I'm not letting myself go anywhere near AL until I've got at least 30 days AF.

Boozehag, day 24 is bloody fantastic, good for you :groupluv: we all know how hard it is, don't let your husbands lack of enthusiasum get you down. I'd feel the same as you though.

Dixie, hang in there, you'll get lots of support from people at MWO, these hugs are for you honey, :l:l

Cindi, missed you yesterday, where are yoooouuuu, hope everythings ok.

Janice, hope your feeling better today.

You guys with drinking partners, I really admire your strength.

It was raining here this morning but the sun out now, got my shopping done this morning so gonna get in the garden any carry on, I think I should be a lanscape gardener, I can't believe how much I've done, it's gonna look brill when I'm done.

Hi to everyone else to come
                    hope your day is running smooth
                    want
                    :h
                    AF since April 8th 2008 :kudos::rays:

Snake....... come crawling,
                    There's fire in your eyes,
                    Bite me, excite me,
                    I'll learn to realize.

The poison transmuted,
                    Brings eternal flame.
                    Open me to heaven,
                    To heal me again.

Comment

Wednesday April 23rd.

Good Morning ODATers,

This is a wonderful thread this morning!! Other than, I miss Janice and Mary, I am sending hugs and prayers for you both.

Janice - Whatever you are feeling down about, I missed it, chin up and remember how much better your life is today. We all have our ups and downs and facing them sober is so much better.

Mary - Let us know how your hubby is doing and keep us informed. We care. Keep up the work, Mary. We love you.

Mohun - Nonalcoholics simply do not understand. I am lucky that my nondrinking hubby does understand. He KNOWS I cannot drink even a drop. He knows it is an addiction and that we are wired differently than those who are not. He also does not place any morals or weaknesses to it, he loves me and admires me for fighting this and just accepts I have an addiction. I am so lucky!!

Seen - Yes, I am finding as I engage in previous activities that used to have drinking involved that I am much happier sober at the end. As you said, "Brilliant." I agree.

New - Remember that string of sober days can never be taken away from you. Just look at yesterday as a slip and get right back on to the wagon. It is the relapses that are hard to come back from. Trust me, I know intimately.

Dixie - Welcome to our ODAT thread. Keep reading, keep posting, read the MWO book and learn about the program. If you keep on trying, you will get there. We are very glad you are here and will help you in anyway we can!!

Limers - Ha ha!! Glad you cleared that up about the beast. Also, welcome to the ODAT thread.

RU - Glad to hear you are feeling good at the day 24 mark. Yes, waking up instead of coming to is such a blessing every day!!

Boozehag - Obviously your husband has no clue how hard you are working and the significance of what you are doing. We do, though. We truly do. Big kudos for the progress you are making!!

Greenie - Hi!!

Want - I am running out of time and must get ready for work. However, I am going to jump over and read your thread. 15 days ago you were so down and blue. LOOK AT YOU NOW!! Your post brought a big smile to my face!!

On the personal front, I am on a trip and it is difficult to read and post as much as normal. However, I am doing great, facing my first trip out of town which is a huge trigger, and staying AF and going to bed happy and relaxed. It is so wonderful.

My daughter is doing very well by all reports and her hubby told me she is looking wonderful. My heart is filled with joy hearing that.

I must run and get ready for work. I overslept, which is awesome for me!! Sleep is now a natural and restful thing, where when I was drinking, it was elusive unless I was knocked out by AL.

For everyone else to come, have a wonderful day!!

Love,
                      Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Wednesday April 23rd.

Good Morning Abbers!!

Thanks Mohan for the early AM start and it also hard for me not to feel uncomfortable for not drinking around close ones, I almost felt like I had to appologise for not wanting to drink!

See the Light - great to see you doing so good, embrace the new you!

New - A wine bender will bruise you up pretty good, hopefully you won't let that sneak up on you again anytime soon!

Dixie - One day at a time...I always say relish the little successes as they do add up!

Limer - The dreams freaked me out at first but now I look forward to them especially the *hot* ones!!

Rustop - Awesome job on day 24!!

Boozehag - Keep up the great work, talk more to your hubby about how proud you are of your efforts and hopefully he will better appreciate how much this means to you.

Want - 15 days is huge!! It's amazing to have all this new energy and get so much done in a day.

Me - I'm still focusing on getting back in shape just started running again after my surgery and with the warm weather finally hear I'm really looking forward to some beautiful AF sunny days. Have a great AF day all!!

Hey there Cindi you snuck in while I posted !!
                        Is Addiction Really a Disease?
                        Watch this and find out....
                        http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

Wednesday April 23rd.

Hi Everyone: I'm doing OK. My husband is still ailing & don't know about Friday's surgery, but I will not drink regardless of what happens. I've been keeping myself busy. I'm not able to be w/the g-sons, because they were exposed to step throat & don't want to carry anything into the house. All my routines are gone, & I feel slightly adrift. That said: I will not drink. That won't help anything. I realize that staying sober & not taking a drink is the most important thing for me to do right now.

Mohun: I like the attitude you have about your drinking..."I've done it, & now it's over." It seems to me that when men decide to quit drinking, they don't vacillate. I hope that doesn't sound sexist to all the women out there. I live in my head a lot, & I think I let my drinking thinking in way too much.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day. Love, Mary

PS: Cindi, if you can check in w/us, please do. I'd love to hear from you.
                          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

Wednesday April 23rd.

Cindi: Thank you. We were posting at the same time. We're fine here. M
                            Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                            October 3, 2012

Comment

Wednesday April 23rd.

Morning All,

I feel so late...good to have such an active thread.

For all you newcomers, welcome.

I'm at Day 80 today. Can hardly believe it. For the past few days all of my biggest triggers (fighting with husb and now him being out of town) have been in play. BUT I haven't even heard AL calling! I think AL has finally learned to sit down and shut up So for you new to AF or in early stages, it truly does get easier.

Janice, feel better. Once you get back into the groove at work, your confidence will come back.

Mary, sorry to hear that your husband is still ailing. I know you will remain strong.

Cindi, wonderful news about your daughter. glad you are becoming comfortable AF.

Mohun, thanks for starting us off. you sound wonderful. Drinking spouses sometimes don't get it. The better you get the more she will understand how important it is to you.

Just not enough time to address everyone today. Apologies...

Stay well,
                              Beck
                              Beck

Sometimes you get there in spite of your route, losing track of your life and what it's about, the road seems to know when to straighten right out...Mary Chapin Carpenter

Comment

Working...
                              X