Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tues Sept 23

Morning all,

Yesterday was a great day on the abs forum. Lots of good thought provoking topics and points made. There is a load of wisdom here and I hope to soak some up.

About time too; the outline of her sobriety, if you will, mirrors what a lot of us need to do. I do not think any of us drink just to drink. It?s that escape from reality and the issues we want to unload. Unfortunately the booze buzz is only temporary. And there is always the inevitable morning after. I really liked the onion analogy, I for one am ready to unload some layers. As each day passes, I become more honest with myself and getting better about communicating with those close to me.

I think I will always be able to form some amazingly creative justification to drink. Could have easily done it last night while struggling with a donkey of a kid whose grades have slipped and he sees no reason to try. Every one of his problems led back to his grades. The anxiety this problem gives me is astronomical.
    All our problems have a root cause or two. I do not want to compound mine with booze. I choose to remain sober. It may not be terribly fun right now but it needs to be.

I have a ton of other stuff to do but am going on a bike ride. Exercise saves!

omw
    Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Tues Sept 23

Morning OMW....Great post!!
    I had spent years, I and I mean years hopping on and off the AF train...Last year, before joining this site I was drinking because I needed it to control the turmoil that was going on in my body, the shakes, palpatations, jumpiness.....It was no longer fun...it became a have to.
    This time around I thought long and hard and decided that if I could still find reasons to "justify"....why bother....I wanted off that train. I surrendered to AL, he was beating me every time.
    I miss those "take me away" moments, probably always will. That little time of euphoria was very short lived and payback a bitch....
    I have to look at the positive, this is not a life sentence, it is not mandatory, it is not forbidden. It is a choice, a choice I made almost 11 months ago to take it one day at a time making no promise for tomorrow.... a choice I make for today, just today......
    Hope everyone has a great day...
    sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

Tues Sept 23

agree

I agree that the onion analogy is great........................I have also done the numbing my feelings to the point that al does, and it is not productive.:no:

I agree that exercise is an awesome tool to use, gets out the pent-up energy when I feel like I am ready to explode..................revs me up when I feel down, it is a great "drug"!!!

I, too can rationalize drinking in SOOOOOOOOOOO many ways, it is scary, that is where all my "sober" friends come in, they can totally see through my BS....

Today is a GREAT day to be AF!!!

lots of love,:l:h

OFF TO THE GYM!

MA
      :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Tues Sept 23

I completely agree. It wasn't necessarily what I drank, but that I consumed alcohol. I do have preferences but the underlying truth is the majority of time it was escape, not enjoyment. Some of those layers are a little thick and hard to peel off! Make your eyes water too :H
        sigpic
        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Tues Sept 23

I just reread yesterday's daily thread. It really spoke to me.

First: Congratulations WIP on your 60 days. That's awesome! I read w/interest what you said about the complacency setting in after a while. I've had that happen & will be on guard. I fool myself into thinking I can drink mod, & once I start up again, I go at it w/a vengeance. I must, must, must face the reality of the fact that I cannot drink normally. I've proved it to myself over & over again. The complacency comes to me in the form of drinking thoughts. I tell myself that my body is healed & free of the toxins of AL, so it's safe for me to drink again "just this one time."

Char: I too miss those "take me away" moments. Nothing does it for me like AL, but when I find ways out of any dilemma or problem I might be experiencing, then I don't need to be taken away. As I stay sober (one day at a time), I'm finding that solving the problems life dishes out isn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Yes, the "take me away" moments w/AL are great (but very, very fleeting); however, the aftermath is absolutely awful & thus leads to the need for more "taking away."

I can't be more grateful to MWO. This site has been my salvation. I couldn't have gotten to the point I'm at (actually admitting that I'm an alcoholic & needing to stop drinking) wo/it. Thank you so much everyone for being here.

Mary

PS: Kriger, great job staying sober 50 days. I'm behind you, but I use you & WIP & all the others who are busily accumulating double & triple digit days as my role models. Thank you so much.
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Tues Sept 23

Hey OMW- Good for you for throwing in exercise. I'm still pondering that one. 8 days of sobriety and I'm still basquing in the loss of 3-4 pounds just from that. Looking forward to the mental and physical benefits of exercise once I get off my lazy butt! I must say, now know what I was seeking when I drank: as some of you mentioned, it's that "take me away" phase. The kids are screaming and crying, but when buzzed, it seems to tune it out. Until the next morning! Glad to be sober :-)
            When life is more than you can stand...kneel.

Comment

Tues Sept 23

Cindi: Are you on a business trip? If you can check in, that would be great. Mary
              Wisdom, Courage, Strength
              October 3, 2012

Comment

Tues Sept 23

happy Tuesday ABerooos!

OMW, great kickstart, thank you. whenever I ask myself a tough question such as why I do some particular thing, I automatically and quickly answer in a defensive way. but the 'real' reason is under those layers as discussed. usually our first 2 or 3 reasons are STILL not the real one. I've found most of our real motivations boil down to something very carnal in the final delineation...like fear. it's not evil...it's just something to be understood about what makes us tick as flawed beings.

speaking of carnal. I finally made it back to my martial arts class last night and now feel like I've been through a trash compactor! sure is fun to be sore though I must say.

MormonMom, great chatting with you last night...catch you soon.

be well my friends
                nosce te ipsum
                (Know Thyself)

Comment

Tues Sept 23

Good Day!

I drank mostly to escape as well. However, right now I have this intense craving, not sure so much if it's coming from just wanting to escape. More like the beast wants to be fed after not drinking for over a week.

Thankfully I have no alcohol in the house and my boyfriend, who is not a big drinker, is coming over to go to the gym. Hope he drives fast!!

Interesting this craving....

Comment

Working...
                  X