Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday 25 September

Morning all,

Firstly hope all the whippersnappers are feeling. Sick kids are always worrying.

This was always going to be a difficult month for me but. For me fighting the beast is an ongoing problem that is not getting any easier.

I am certain that just one drink and I would be back to where I started, so mods are not an option but......I am starting to forget just how bad things were in the drinking days and I am having so much trouble just living as a sober person.

Worryingly, I am also reverting to some of the unhelpful coping mechanism I used as a teenager.

Don't know where I am going with this post but any ideas for how to stay on the straight and narrow would be appreciated.
    Learn from yesterday, live for today and hope for tomorrow - Einstein
    AF 8 June 2012

Thursday 25 September

hi

Loppy lugs, I, too revert back to coping mechanisms(unhealthy ones at that, like food, controlling etc.........) after I have been AF for a while and have that aspect of my life taken care of....................thank GOD you are AF, the other problems, at least you are aware of................try to see what is causing you to act on these other behaviors................maybe? Just my experience.

I have about 17 days AF, so I need to stay that way for some time.............the rest of my life, in fact. Since going to Lenair, I KNOW I can do that! It is so easy to not drink at this point, I have NO desire, and thank Rhonda Lenair for that. I know it didn't work that well for some who went to her, but for me she did it!

I have a job interview today for a part-time job at a pulmonary office, only part time, but better than what I have now, nothing!

Have a great day everyone!!

love:l:h:h

MA
    :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Thursday 25 September

Hi Loppy
      MWO was great in helping me to stop drinking{4 months AF }.I am searching out other programs now that are helping me live a sober life.The more tools I have and the more education about our problem the better prepared I will be to do battle {I am not sure this is what you are getting at in your post} One of the sites is smart recovery another alternative to AA. I hope this has been helpful
      Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
      AF 5-16-08

Comment

Thursday 25 September

Morning crew,

Yep...I'm still tired and kiddo is still sick.

Always be careful replacing one habit for another....choose positive healthy ones Im the general thread greenie used an analogy of climbing up a ladder, rung by rung, makes sense.

Hope everyone is working out their weekend plan, mine is work and family; too much going on to get stupid.

See ya,
        gotta get on my way!!
        Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Thursday 25 September

Hi Everyone: I've been quite busy, but I wanted to check in & say "Hi." As far as coping mechanisms when I'm AF, I have to watch out for that. One of the ways I cope is overdoing. I try to cram as much as I can into a day as possible. When I do that, I fall victim to thinking I need a "break." So, I've been trying to build in some downtime.

Take care. I'm going to try to check back later. Mary
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Thursday 25 September

Morning all
            I think it is so important to remember how bad things were. Although not as vivid, I can't and won't let myself forget what a nightmare my life was. I needed this to be my choice, as anything forbidden, for me, makes it that much more tempting...tell me no and I'm right there!!!.....Can I drink today???....Yes, but if I do I am must also choose to pay the piper..My choice....
            Loppy I so understand where you are coming from and know we are all one drink away from unleashing that beast. I am living as a sober person, but I am an alcoholic. I can't wish it away or take a magic pill, so I just have to make do on a daily basis knowing I have made a good choice. I know this mindset does not work for everyone..I can't think in terms of never, not an option, non-drinker, free for life, way to overwhelming for me...I wake up everyday knowing my day is a choice..I like that power..Just my 2cents guys.
            sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

Thursday 25 September

Char: I second what you said for me.
              1. I cannot have only one or two drinks. It's all or nothing.
              2. I cannot forget the awful wasted days & mental agony (physical too) of drinking.

Mary

PS: Hi Cindi. I haven't seen your posts lately.
              Wisdom, Courage, Strength
              October 3, 2012

Comment

Thursday 25 September

Not got a lot of time and will come back later to reread everyone's post. I just need to say to Loppy do take care - this is all part of your recovery, ie this is the bit thats not easy!!! Have you read the thread Sobriety then Recovery?? Janicexxx
                AF since 9 May 2012
                Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Thursday 25 September

Top of the Thursday ABerooooos!

Takeheart, I just was reading yesterdays posts and wanted to offer some insight. What you experienced was a physical craving and they can be very strong and annoying indeed. When that happens to me I immediately will take two teaspoons of L-Glutamine powder mixed in a small amount of juice. Then I'll do anything I can to distract myself for 15 minutes while it gets to work. it's a lifesaver!
                  these cravings can be caused by many things including unstable blood sugar/glycemic levels in the body. try to avoid eating sweets and the so-called diet foods that are high in simple carbs and lacking protein. try eating healthy hi protein snacks like lean lunch meat, nuts, natural cheeses etc.
                  if you do that and combine it with some moderately difficult exercise your brain can be the happy fun place it is meant to be!

be well my friends
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

Thursday 25 September

You know it's been really great getting to know you all! It's amazing how much we share. Since not drinking I've been, my eating habit have been horrible! So even though I've been working out and not consuming calories from 2 bottles of wine a day, I've managed to gain weight! I guess I should now focus on a more healthy diet like you suggest, Determinator!

Seems like a lot of people are sick. Hope you all feel better soon!

Cowgal...who is Rhonda Lenair?

Comment

Thursday 25 September

Thanks all,

That was just what I needed. Have gone onto the smartrecovery site and immediately hit the grieving thread. Which spoke volumes to me.

I can't remember where I got it from but... The novelty of quit is gone, yet the quiet battle rages on..... That point when just getting to the end of the day without having a drink doesn't seem enough anymore. When 140 days doesn't feel like much more of an achievement than 130. Yet the first 10 days were a priceless gift. Time for new tools.

I am focused to never drink again because I don't see it as a good thing.

I injured my hand very badly 5 or 6 years ago when a wine glass broke in it. Only one of many alcohol related injuries but It still throbs a lot of the time so really is a reminder of how bad things were and could be again.

A friend of my mother's called Pearl, didn't like what her life had become after her husband died, so she purposely drank herself to death. No one could convince her that life was worth living. I wear pearl studs every day so that when I look in the mirror I remember the route I had started to take. I recognised so much of me in Pearl.

So I always carry a reminder of how bad it got during the drinking times and how much worse it was going to get.

Recognising that I needed to do something I also dug out my copy of Changing for good by James Prochaska which has very useful advice for this inbetweeny time. Actually it is a great book and was my bible in the early days. Believe recommended it on about my first day. I wonder whatever happened to her.

Anyway it is now 5.30 and after a sleepless night it is time to think about getting ready for work.

Keep well all.
                      Learn from yesterday, live for today and hope for tomorrow - Einstein
                      AF 8 June 2012

Comment

Working...
                      X