Sat 09/27 * Day #12 AF * Almost caved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was soooo close to drinking yesterday. Thank goodness I didn't. I even signed on here to chat w/ some AF Army people and nobody was signed on :-( Everything was going good yesterday until my husband and I got in a huge fight. It triggered me soo bad that I thought I was going to say, "Screw It!" I decided I was going to go to the gym and get a good workout in. Then my best friend reminded me that the Presidential Debate was going to be on television. So I decided that, coupled with a bowl of popcorn and some soda would keep me occupied. Despite the fact that the wound up children wouldn't let me listen to the debate, it still kept me occupied long enough to get through the craving!!I've been on Campral for over a month now. How come I still have these craving episodes?
    I loaned my best friend a folder full of tools that I received from my out-patient rehab back in 2005 (Wow was that already 3 years ago!). She sent it back to me in the mail a couple days ago. I'm hoping to refresh when it gets here. I know one thing from it that I need to start: a 50/50 letter. 50 positive reasons for not drinking & 50 negative reasons for drinking. The therapist said we would always carry it around with us and when we felt like drinking, take a look at it.
    I had more user dreams last night. I was drinking red wine (my downfall) somewhere. I wanted more and was contemplating going to the store. I remembered that I promised myself no more drinking and driving, so I was thinking of other ways to get it.
    Then I had a dream I was in this isolated cabin with some friends. Two of them brought some beer in their bag. I searched all through that house, hoping I would find some wine, but none to be found. Was really bummed in my dream.
    My husband will be at work all day and all night, so that's a good thing. Kind of. Some of my drinking would take place when he was at work 'cause I knew he wouldn't know I was doing it. But at least without him here, I won't be dealing with the stress he sometimes puts on me.
    I'm just thankful to have another day of sobriety under my belt and thankful that I have this website to listen to others who are going through the same thing. 12 Days!!!!
    When life is more than you can stand...kneel.

Well done!:goodjob: I can completely relate to husband/stress. I find tuning them out helpful.
    I'll be in chat later tonight, hope to see ya there!
    You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

I try to to tune him out. He gets this little "passive-agressive" thing going and picks! picks! picks! 'til he gets a reaction. Then asks, "Why are you so mad?" AAAGGGHHHH!!!!
      When life is more than you can stand...kneel.

Comment

1967: I'm glad you did not cave in. I like the idea of the 50/50 list. I think I'll try that. For me, a craving will hit almost out of nowhere...no fight, no crisis, nothing. I just have to be on my guard. I think your procrastinating the drink (going to the gym) helped a lot. I've read that the urge usually goes away in a few minutes if we can just put off having that drink.

Last night I did just that. We had people over to watch the debate, & I had almost decided I was going to "have just one." I put it off & busied myself away from the wine, & lo & behold, the urge to drink had gone away. I could sit & watch the debate w/the wine bottle on the coffee table & not even pay attention to it.

Procrastination. A simple solution but it works! Mary
        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
        October 3, 2012

Comment

I am new here and pray for abstinence. I believe that God brought me to this site. Is there at time when anyone from this forum chats regularily? i need you so much. i am getting frightened because i am a closed every other day drinker (white wine and beer) for about 10 years. not. I totally relate to your posts you guys; however, i live alone and loneliness and not being accountable (i have an easy life with no one to take care of.) to anyone. Up until today, only God knew my pain.

Comment

I had a couple of typos on my last reply. I meant closet drinknker and 10 years now (not not)

Comment

I like the idea of the 50/50 list, might give it a try to keep me on the road.

If you treat drinking as a 'chore' you can put it off for a while.
              I have not failed 1000 times. I have successfully found 1000 ways that do not work.

Comment

Working...
              X