Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday, 24th November

My friends.

I have had 3 incredible occurences happen to me today. Three!!

One, I went to my mail box, opened a package and it was from WIP. The gift I received was enormous. Huge. I am already worrying about how to take care of it. My husband looked at me and said "This was dedicated before my mother was born, and that was a long time ago." My entire family has looked at the book that WIP sent me and they are all in awe, as I am. Awe. What a gift. I cannot thank you enough, WIP, for what you did. Just know, I will treasure this gift forever. You had written "Merry Christmas" to me but it came for my birthday. It is funny how life works but the gift is incredible to someone like me. I will treasure it forever. So your mother's life and love will never be lost. My children and husband are all amazed. What a gift. You have no idea. None. Thank you does not "handle" it.

Two, my dear friend Mary sent me a wish for a happy birthday. That, too, meant so much. She and I have been fighting this beast for a long time together. We will beat this beast. Both of us. We both love children, family and life. How can we not beat this beast? Mary taught "special" children as a lifetime work. Mary knows how special children are, even those who society does not think "fits in." I send my love and caring back to Mary. I will keep walking this path of sobriety with her. Sometimes we fail, okay, but we have had sober times here that we did not have before. If we had not come here, we would just simply be drunks. Today we are able to be sober, I took my grandkids to a movie tonight and we had so much fun. I still struggle, I still work at it but so does Mary. We will both continue to because of MWO.

Three, Dilip also said Happy Birthday to me. He kind of sits on the sidelines and does the chat thing and not the post thing. But he, also, has our addiction. He is trying to get better, just like us. Dilip has been here for a long time and he has chatted with me many a night.

Thanks to all of you. I refuse to start naming "names" because I would leave out someone who has been there for me and I would never do that. However, ALL OF YOU, please know that I so appreciate you being there. I do appreciate your care, and I mean CARE, because I have been enveloped in love, laughter, tears, sadness, goodness and life. I live today because of all of you. I mean that. I would have been gone without you.

So, my "Happy Birthday" is knowing I have all my MWO friends with me, surrounding me, and caring about me. I care back. We are fighting this addiction and winning with each other.

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Monday, 24th November

Cindi, what a lovely start to today's thread - I would also like to wish you a happy birthday - you are so kind, generous and thoughtful to others, you deserve only the best!

Just popping in briefly, up early for work but just had to respond to Pamina's post from yesterday. I was so sorry to hear about the loss of your dad - I can totally relate to everything you said and you are in my thoughts. Do take care of yourself though, this will take time.....even now 17 months later I still have my "bad times" but it is so important to cling onto those happy memories we will always hold dear and thats what keeps me going. I have also learnt the hard way that drinking is not a tool to use for grief. Wish you well, stay close to us at this vulnerable time.

To everyone else have a good day, I'll be back on later.

love Janicexxx
    AF since 9 May 2012
    Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Monday, 24th November

Happy birthday to you Cinder's, from waaaayyyyy down south! I hope your day is a beauty.... G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Monday, 24th November

Hiya Cindi! That was a beautiful post!
        A very happy birthday to you my friend, I hope you have a wonderful day today xx
        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Monday, 24th November

Lovely post Cindi!
          Happy Birthday to a lovely lady.
          Enjoy your day....you deserve it.
          :lPan

Comment

Monday, 24th November

Happy Birthday Cindi - you so so so deserve all the happiness in the world.
            BH

Comment

Monday, 24th November

Happy Birthday Cinders! I appreciate you being here.

Just a quick hello before getting off to work. The routine of work now seems comforting compared to my flexible weekend schedule. The weekend was always when I did my best drinking. I did get through my 3rd weekend AF, but it's a little harder because I have more control of my time. Perhaps the concept of "Being in Flow" could be a very usefull tool. Thanks WIP!

Comment

Monday, 24th November

Good morning all, and Happy Birthday, Cindi!

I don't think I've done justice the last few days to the wonderful, engaging posts we've had on this thread. Very thoughtful and insightful stuff. I so enjoy being part of a group that is seriously and thoughtfully approaching the challenges and rewards of an AF life. This path is truly counter-cultural, in a very positive way, and it's hard to walk it alone!

I will go visit my mother this morning, and then I have a medium-sized pile of bills and paperwork and report-writing to do. Not looking forward to any of it, actually, but I am looking forward to getting it behind me!

Today I am going to work on my lower-carb fruit crumble recipe. I'm finding it's great to have a reasonably healthy dessert alternative in the house, keeps me from buying and eating chocolate! I do believe that eating right, exercise, and my meditation practice are keys to keeping my mind/brain/body in a place within which I have a much smaller vulnerability to alcohol triggers. Right now, there's not a lot I can do about some of the stressors and triggers I am facing, so doing the things I CAN control is really important.

Happy new week, everyone!

wip

Tom, I get it about work. It can really be a great distractor from some of the thinking that can arise when we are left to our own devices! Good for you on getting through the weekend! What did you do that was most helpful for you?

Comment

Monday, 24th November

Hello everyone and Happy AF Monday!!

Cindi - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! What a special, beautiful post to start off the day. A great reminder to all of us to appreciate the sobriety we have achieved and the support we have recieved along the way. I hope you have an incredible day!

Pamina - I was so happy to see your avatar pop up in yesterdays thread as I was catching up! I am so sorry to hear about your Dad's passing. It sounds like a good thing that you are now taking time to grieve and just let that happen. I'm very interested in your description of "flow" and also what WIP said about it compared to meditation. Be well our friend.

1967 - glad to see you here on the Daily thread. It's amazing what we find out about ourselves that was being hidden in a drunken haze. There is SO much life out there to be lived, it's hard to know where to start. At least that's what was hard for me and still stumps me at times. I hope you are able to get out and start experimenting with new life activities and that you discover some things you really enjoy outside of work!

Nancy - you are right that we need all of our tools nearby especially at this time of year.

Good to see you Gyco!

Sausage, I feel for you when you have to miss exercise due to no babysitting options. I don't know how you mothers do it sometimes!

Hello to Janice and everyone else who has already popped in this morning.

Today is the usual Monday for me - leads group, errands, then CURVES (yeah!). They are only open 3 days this week - the new owners are taking a full 4 day closed Thanksgiving weekend. YIKES! I don't blame them as they work incredibly long hours and one of the owners has young children. I need to get busy and figure out a backup plan for Friday and Saturday. Might have to remove the clothes that are hanging from the Dreadmill or something.

In good news, I am very happy that I've managed to stick to staying sober (of course, and for many reasons!) and also to my eating and exercise plan. I am 5.6 pounds away from my goal weight, and most critically, my black leather pants FIT yesterday when I tried them on. Now I need someplace to go LOL.

Moving into "maintenance" mode will be a challenge and I need to get prepared. No more "thrills" when a pair of size smaller test jeans fit, etc. I have to mentally shift gears to the long term game and find gratification and reward in these things "staying the same" rather than changing. Very similar to moving ahead in the sobriety game from the early days where just "not drinking" is a huge achievement and working through the "what next - there must be more to life that this" phase.

So with that in mind, I need to decide if I'm going to take the photography class next semester, and a few things like that!!

Well - gotta go start getting ready for the days events. Happy birthday again to Cindi!!!!! :l

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Monday, 24th November

Morning everyone and a very "Happy Birthday" Cindi......
                    Everything here is pretty much on an even keel except my work hours......seem to be working a hell of alot lately, long termers using up their vacation time, and we need the coverage. Didn't sign up for this, so feeling a bit sorry for myself this morning as there is so much to do as the holiday's approach. Guess I need to find that positive, so I will be thankful I have a job to go to.....Still sucks though ....
                    Thread is off to a great start this morning....hoping everyone has a great day!
                    sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

Monday, 24th November

Good morning all, Cindi, what a nice way to start your birthday friends sure are wonderful.

Not much to report here, muddled thru another weekend without feeling too restless. Now on to getting thru thanksgiving with my vino family.

Happy day all, nat
                      Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Monday, 24th November

Happy Birthday Cinders. I am on official day 2 and other than major sleep deprivation feeling well. I hate to say I am waiting for the shoe to drop but taking the supplements religiously.

Last night sat in bed watching a movie and haven't felt that calm and content in forever. Hoping the violent withdrawals don't rear their head but will be prepared - the supplements seem to help a lot.

I need to lose my middle innertube (kids call it my built in floating device) that blew up from drinking wine so I plan on telling all friends and relatives that I am not drinking and concentrating on health right now to get through the holidays. My husband knows why I am stopping. But feel it will be easier to deal with the crowds of "Oh, you're so fun when you drink, just have one..." nonsense.
                        "Parenthood remains the greatest single preserve of the amateur." Alvin Toffler

Comment

Monday, 24th November

CCM, good for you! Yeah, sleep.... it took me a good 6-7 weeks before my sleep patterns really began to normalize (I had been getting up, unable to sleep, at 3:30am every morning...). And that's a good script to use for AF holiday parties; I use that one a lot, myself. Nothing much people can say, to that. I also say that "I find that I feel so much better when I cut out the alcohol."

wip

Comment

Monday, 24th November

Hi everyone, just wanted to pop in here to wish Cindi a happy birthday! Sounds like it is going to be a great one.

Pamina, I'm so so sorry to hear about your father. I think you are very wise to allow yourself the time to grieve.

Hope everyone has a great Monday!

Comment

Monday, 24th November

Good morning all!

Firstly, I want to tell WIP thank you for hanging in here and keeping your chin up despite what anyone else says that appears to have had a really bad day. OK? We appreciate you!

Secondly, Pamina, I too am sorry about your dad. I can relate. What else can I say. It's hard. :l

Thirdly, I want to tell all of you how THANKFUL I am to "know" you. This place and this forum in particular are really important in keeping me accountable.

And lastly (for now) I was to wish Cindi a lifetime of sobriety for her birthday. :h You are special!

Have a great day all!:h
                              The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Working...
                              X