AF Daily - Wednesday December 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it already December 3???? Holy Moly!!

Great thread again yesterday and welcome to the new folks to Daily AF Land.

With all the lovely timing that the universe could possibly muster up, our furnace needs repairs. So I'm off and running to Curves to get my workout in before I get to wait for the first repair person. Checkbook in hand of course. I hope to heaven a boiler replacement is not in our immediate future.

There will be no alcohol in my life today. Anger maybe, but no alcohol. OK - I'm off to build up some endorphin power. I will probably need it!

Happy Wednesday everyone! May your day start off without any household maintenance issues!!!!!!

ETA: Or dog puke on your bed, which I forgot to mention yesterday. I think I will be glad when this week is over, woof woof.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Day not off to a very good start, had dental surgery yesterday, so I have one chipmunk cheek and a bunch of thread in my mouth, then overslept, the the topper, I awoke to a non working coffee pot....grrrr......Just hope this is not going to be the way the entire day goes.
    I can take it in stride (even though I am longing for a good cup of strong coffee)...stuff like this used to put me mentally over the edge. By days end I would recap the day and tell myself what a crap one I had and feel n guilt about pouring those drinks........Today I will live with the chipmunk cheek, it will get better as the day passes, speed up my routine a tad to make up for oversleeping, and stop and get me a nice cup of java.....and a new coffee pot..
    Chipping away at my Christmas list, did get my tree up so all in all everything is looking pretty good...
    Everyone have a great day.
    sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

Good morning,

Charlee, I have your coffee ready!!

I guess I need to speed it up here. This morning hubby hung around a while (not for naughty purposes:H) and put me behind schedule on my computer time.
      I just read a very interesting article on tryptophan and serotonin and how lacking it effects not only sleep but alcoholism, weight, and a boat load of other problems. Maybe I?ll post it but I am assuming someone has already done so.

DG, good luck with the furnace, don?t envy you.

Have a great day everyone!!
      Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Good morning,

Had my a.m. run...wow, it is cold out there!

DG, I hope the furnace repair is not too extensive. It is amazing how money just flies out the window so easily yet it is so hard to earn.

A few more thoughts on structure, routine, and exercise...As I was laying in bed at 5:30 this morning, I was really struggling to get up, dressed, and out the door. I know that I'm in trouble when I think too much about getting out of bed. However, the truth is that if I don't get up first thing in the morning to work out, I lose my opportunity because there's kids to get off to school and then work and then homework and then... well you get the picture.

As I was running this morning, I was reveling in the fact that this is my time, no one can take it away from me. And, I realized once again that it is very important for my body and my soul to keep up my exercise routine, especially during this time of year when life is so darn distracting. I feel like my mind is going in 5 different directions.

DG, you said it so well when you wrote that you were going to get your endorphins in today. It's like putting money in our sobriety bank. Anyhow, it got me to wondering what others do to put money in their sobriety bank.

Happy Day to all,
        Mo3
        AF Since April 20, 2008
        4 Years!!!
        :lilheart:

Comment

Hi DG, Hi Charlee, OMW and Mo3, and all to come.

Sounds like a a bad start to the day is not going to weaken the resolve of any AFers here. Hope things go better than expected for you for the rest of the day.

On My Way, There is a lot of info on the tryptophan in the Holistic Healing forum. There is a loooong thread there (started by DG, I think) in which experiences and information is shared.

Mo3, I am awed by your self-discipline -- I could never do that. But I do need to get an exercise routine in place... at this point it is the weak link (I should say missing link) in my sobriety programme.

I woke up to a beautiful snowfall this morning-- everything covered in a fresh white blanket, the branches of the trees bending beneath the weight, and the stars sparkling above (yeh, it's dark here until about 10).

I was at the doctor yesterday morning and had a battery of blood tests done, so am a bit anxious to find out the results. I also got more Antabuse, which I haven't been taking, but am thinking I may need it at Christmas time, and probably should start taking it soon, just as a back-up. I feel like I will be fine, but why take chances? Anybody else doing, or thinking of doing, Antabuse?

I really felt like having a drink last night, after a whole afternoon of stress: taking neighbour to hospital, getting called in by son's teacher for allegedly unruly behaviour-- not true, in my opinion (undisciplined, perhaps, but not purposely disruptive)-- and then a flat tire and running out of gas while picking up the kids.

Actually, I was not very stressed in my mind, I was surprisingly calm about everything. But when I finally got in the front door and took off my coat, my whole body was shaking. So, it was actually a PHYSICAL desire for alcohol to calm me down, not something mental.

Well, we only have a small amount of beer (for my husband) in the house, and I told myself I could have some after I started dinner. And, guess what, by then, the physical need was gone, and so I actually forgot about it. A small but significant triumph.

Have a great day everyone!

For DG:

A woman went to the cinema and in the front row was an old man and with him was his dog. It was a sad, funny kind of film, and in the sad part, the dog cried his eyes out, and in the funny part, the dog laughed his head off. This happened all the way through the film. After the film had ended, the woman decided to go and speak to the man.

"That's the most amazing thing I've seen," she said. "That dog really seemed to enjoy the film."

The man turned and said, "Yeah, it is. He hated the book."
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Good morning, everyone... Pesky household repairs R us! I've had gas pipes AND water pipes replaced, recently, and now the treadmill need servicing (plumber got a bunch of grit in it when he was doing repairs, but I don't want to get him in trouble with the company) and the icemaker that I finally got hooked up in the fridge has only produced about 12 ice cubes... So, more guys to call and get to come out, more checks to write!

I haven't been thinking about drinking, but a bit obsessed with chocolate, which I had pretty much given up a couple of weeks ago. I'm not doing a really strict or regimented dietary thing, but did and do want to eliminate sugar and white flour and other foods that are not-so-good on the glycemic index, and eat mostly whole grains, fruits and vegetables, lots of beans, and some (not a lot) meat, fish, and cheese. It's mostly working out well... can't say I feel any different, but I think that overall it will have a good impact on my health and help keep my emotional life and cravings for alcohol in check. Beatle, I don't distinguish between the "physical" and the "mental" or "emotional," because thoughts and emotions are all physical phenomena... intertwined with, and products of, our visceral functioning and our neurotransmitter functioning....

I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with respect to getting my mother's house and stuff ready for the sale (it will be in about 2 weeks). Horrible, wrenching process and it will be a wonderful page to finish turning in this awful saga.

Hope everyone's doing well today!

Comment

Beatle, I'm not sure I would be so motivated to get up and run if it were snowing outside!

Good for you for thinking through the cravings yesterday. I know that stress/issues associated with my children are the biggest triggers! However, they are going to continue to happen and our immediate impulse is going to be a craving for Al...doesn't mean we have to act on it!

FYI...There is an antabuse thread in the general discussion section. I think Brit is taking antabuse...

Mo3
              AF Since April 20, 2008
              4 Years!!!
              :lilheart:

Comment

Hi All
                Beatle just a note on one of my tools regarding antabuse.I had used it the last time I tried to stop drinking about 2 years ago.It was great in regards to the cravings.Stooped for 6 months thought I could mod well that didn't work.I have gone cold turkey this time over 6 months AF.I do still have the antabuse and I carry it with me if I think I will be in what I consider a high risk situation.I haven't had to use it but when I went to a baseball game in the beginning of being sober I had it in my pocket.That was the first time in about 35 years that I didn't drink at a ball game. Now I don't usually have any problems being around al but yes If I think a situation will be threating I will have it with me and will take it .Use the antabuse but also have a plan ready for when you stop.
                Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                AF 5-16-08
                Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                AF 5-16-08

Comment

Everyone:

I read yesterday's thread in its entirity...very good stuff! Haven't been thinking about AL in terms of drinking it...just in terms of gratitude for NOT drinking it. Yesterday, I slipped on some ice & sprained my wrist. That would have been an opportunity I would have seized upon in the past to drink (dull the pain). However, I found an ice pack & OTC med more effective, & I still had my wits about me to go out in the evening. This is giving my husb a chance to step up & do some chores that I can't really do now.

Regarding the holiday celebrations that involve wine, beer, & spirits: I've just been trying to keep in mind that I want to enjoy them, not numb them out. I actually love the taste of the various non-AL beverages I've got on hand, so what's so special about AL for me. It's not the taste...it's the effect. I don't need an escape. I can be fully present & take life as it comes.
                  -If someone's in a bad mood, that's not my problem. I think I've looked at it that way in the past.
                  -If something unexpected happens, I can deal w/it.
                  -If situations get a little out of hand, I can pull back & get some control.
                  I don't have to escape through a bottle. I can stay & tough it out. I must remember that when I escape the bad, the good goes by the wayside.

I hope this makes sense. I think that one of the most valuable aspects of this thread is that it's a kind of on-line journal. We share our thoughts & our lives & get some feedback.

Take care everyone. I'll be back later.

Love, Mary

PS: Hi Cindi...I hope all is well w/you.
                  Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

beatle;484539 wrote: I also got more Antabuse, which I haven't been taking, but am thinking I may need it at Christmas time, and probably should start taking it soon, just as a back-up. I feel like I will be fine, but why take chances? Anybody else doing, or thinking of doing, Antabuse?

"
                    Beatle, mine is on its way. I am VERY nervous about all the Christmas/new years holiday celebrations in store for me. I don't want to blow it. I think it will be a good reinforcing measure for me.
                    Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Geez, sounds like a lot of us have had some struggles/frustrations/major bills this week! Mary--you take care of that wrist and make sure hubby takes good care of you!

It's just a little strange--I have had coffee pot issues and the furnace repairman was just here yesterday taking care of some duct work. (Not too efficient heating the crawl space) The good news is, he figured out what is wrong with my sauna, and temporarily "fixed" it! I've missed that! It was a great help when I quit the al and nic to detox the ole bod.

Yesterday was just a little frustrating for me. After the furnace guy left, i rushed to Bible study (I live 10 miles from town) to find no one there. They had changed it to Wednesdays and forgot to tell me. I had made arrangements to take a friend out for lunch for her b-day,so now I had an hour and 1/2 to kill. Now mind you, I live in a really small town with very little to do here. I managed to take care of a few things and then headed to the restaurant where I waited for 45 minutes for my friend. She got busy at work. I wanted to put my tree up, but I needed to find the stand which was out in a storage shed with the 50 some boxes of Christmas decorations. A partial strand of lights that will not work. Hubby and son #2 need haircuts, and I guess since I was tired I did a pretty bad job!

At least I had no desire to drink or smoke. And as I'm typing this I feel bad, because there are so many others out there in the world that have REAL problems. Who am I to complain??

Beatle, like you I need to get back into an exercise routine. Yoga today which I have had to miss for 3 weeks now!:upset: And WIP--my chocolate cravings go in cycles. I am obsessed with all of the different kinds of M & M's out there right now. They even had dark chocolate-Peanut ones in Target! So I stocked up. Also love the Dove chocolates-I keep them in the freezer and no one else touches them.

Well, I have to get some of these boxes unpacked and finish some of the stuff I didn't get done yesterday before Bible study/yoga/work......

Have a great and or better day all!:h
                      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Good Morning Everyone,
                        So nice to be back...I forgot how good it feels to to be amongst friends who share the same struggles. It's very good for me to be reminded about routine and exercise..it's the biggest thing up for me right now. I left a job about a year and a half ago and have launched a new small business recently...so I'm working from home and have struggled with 15 extra pounds (it couldn't have anything to do with the wine could it???) and the lack of exercise. Thanks for all the information Doggygirl, I'll have to check the book out that you recommended. One of the problems has been the lack of routine which I'm trying to regain. I got my first few contracts for my new biz a few weeks ago which had me working some office hours..that felt good and showed me some possibilities. I have everything I need to do a little workout in the morning but have lacked the discipline to follow a schedule, so that is my goal now that I have a little AF time. I don't have much work yet, so I don't need to be in the office for too many hours, but do need to do some marketing and also get out and do some marketing with the chamber of commerce...a lot going on, which demands a lot of extroverted activity which is a little stressful on my introverted artistic nature, which I also think contributed to my increased drinking of late. So, I have some plans, and I have a lot of support from a woman's group that I've been involved with for a while..quite a few of whom are veterans of AA. One woman is a personal trainer and is going to barter a personal training with painting lessons once a month...and we'll check progress weekly by phone..so, we'll see how that goes. Checking in on this board and the weight watchers board is the other little piece of support that I use..there is a group of gals I've chatted with for several years..we used to call our board AIM, for alcohol in moderation because we liked our drinks, so we are supportive..most of them try to moderate but a few of us try to abstain. I'm no different from anyone else, I do much better when I'm holding myself accountable by showing up and talking about it..if you don't hear from me, I'm probably drinking....

A Work in Progress..I relate to your post for some reason..maybe it's the Carl Jung quote..I did a lot of theological psychotherapy a few years back and was very interested in his work...especially dream analysis and alchemy. At the time I was reading books like I was drinking wine...I've laid off the stuff a bit, but I still crave the intellectual buzz from time to time. )

I was going to do the treadmill but got on here first...dang! I'll have to do it later. I have to take my two cats to the vet. They are 18 years old. One looks pretty fragile and we don't think she'll last through the winter...but you never know. We shall see. My sister thinks she has cancer.

Thanks everyone for being here. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better.

Namaste (dilayne)

11 days AF day and 11 days on the topa. Doing great on it, the side effects don't seem as bad as times in the past, so I'm happy about that.
                        It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Namaste: I love your post. Please keep coming. I know the "drinking introvert in order to be social" situation well. I think you've set up a wonderful support system. It's an inspiration. "No man is an island" is something to remember when I'm trying to stop drinking. Mary
                          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

Happy Wednesday ABeroooos!

well, bit rough around the edges but seems like we are all managing to keep our precious sobriety in spite of things. hooray!

Dilayne, now I remember you! wow, you've been on for quite a while. glad to see you again.

well I was feeling pretty crummy last night and went to jiu jitsu anyway and worked out WAY too hard. nearly lost consciousness a couple times and collapsed like a pile of trash. I haven't felt that run down in ages. limped home and got a bunch of sleep and now I'm feeling a tad better but mucho sore.

anyone else plagued with drinking dreams? this is driving me nutso. last night yet again. wine tasting dreams this time. just can't stand that.

Caysea, I'm the same way with the antabuse. I always have it with me when I travel as insurance. I've got a 3 day stay inside a casino next Mon-Wed so I might just take it preemptively for that since in the past I've always gotten totally trashed at that trade show. Not this year dammit!

I'm off to find some aspercreme.

be well friends!
                            nosce te ipsum
                            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hi, everyone.

Just dropping in for a quick one.

Eye is downright bothering me today. I hate this.

Hanging in there today. I have a doctor's appt tomorrow with a shrink.

I sure hope she and I click.

Love to all,
                              Cindi
                              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X