Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Monthly Abs

Hi Monthly Absters,

I have been inspired by reading some of your posts and hope you don't mind if I join in. I know that abstinence is where I need to be. I love the upbeat postings, the strong emphasize on exercise (love the abbersize thread also), supplements, meditation, controlling urges, etc. WIP, and others, offer such great insightful info. I have only tried to go AF one other time, May 08 (b/c I really didn't have a problem....) and then tried to moderate, unsuccessfully. This is where I need to be and now feel so much resolve and actually so much "less" pressure now that I have made the decision to go with abstinence rather than moderation. The question of how much, how often, etc produced so much anxiety, and I never stayed with my plan.

I am currently on day 11 and enjoyed the best Christmas I can remember in a very long time. My 10 year old daughter, husband, and I enjoyed a great day cooking together and entertaining my inlaws who don't drink. My real challenge will be tomorrow when I go to my parents with my brother and sister and their families. Everyone will be drinking early in the day and all day and eve and we will spend the night. My plan is that I'm on a "new diet" with no alcohol (Mom and I are always partaking in some new fad) and will bring my beverages with me. I will leave and take long walks with hubby if necessary or go for a drive to the store to pick up some "soda" or something missing if necessry.

I really thank God for the wonderful people on this site and the support you provide. I hope everyone has a great weekend and look forward to reading more inspirational posts from those of you who have been here a while!
    Bridget

" little by little, we travel far "
    - Tolkein

New to Monthly Abs

Hi, Bridget! I think you have a very well-designed plan for tomorrow... stick to it, and you'll be just fine. When thoughts about drinking arise, just say to yourself: "I don't drink." Very quietly, very simply, very calmly, as if you are reminding yourself of something you had unaccountably forgotten, just for a moment! And then you can move on to something else... Be sure and let us know how it goes!

Comment

New to Monthly Abs

Hi Bridget and welcome to AF-Land where the booze don't shine!

I too like the sound of your plan for today. Bringing your own beverages is a GREAT idea - I used to continuously have an alcohol drink in my hand "back in those days" so for me, keeping an AF beverage in my hand constantly just feels normal - and I bring my own whenever I can.

I love your strategy to leave for a time if and when you need to. It's great that you have thought that out in advance, have some "errands" or "explanations" already lined up, and have your hubby's support. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Have a really good time and congratulations on your great AF Christmas with your family.

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

New to Monthly Abs

Bridget: Welcome. Stick to your plan...it's a good one. Please come back & continue to share. This is a great forum. Mary
        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
        October 3, 2012

Comment

New to Monthly Abs

Bridget, Sounds like a Great plan. I have lost my sobriety when i fail to anticipate what kind of situation I will find myself in.That's when I don't know what to do next and that leads to drinking...
          Hope everything goes well for you.
          sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

New to Monthly Abs

Welcome Bridget! I also tell people I'm on a strict diet, it works, ha! : )

Stay Strong!

Love,

Doodlebug
            :sun::heart::h:heart:

"My Happiness is Not Dependent on a Poisonous Chemical Depressant."

Comment

New to Monthly Abs

How did things go yesterday Briget?

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.