tried to start yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tried to start yesterday

I tried to start AF yesterday but was frightened by how sick I felt. I felt feverish etc. I read here to drink water which I did, also took aspirin, but by dinnertime gave up on my Day 1 so am trying today to be Day 1 again. Is it better to like cut down more slowly than all at once?

tried to start yesterday

Don't give up

You are so important. Don't give up. I am only on day 2 but I had at least 3 day 1s.

Just like you I would say to myself today is the day. Then has the day went on I just didn't have the strength.

Just take it one day at a time.
    :new:

Comment

tried to start yesterday

when you start to feel sick and feverish, remember it will pass, like the flu. Make sure you read the first post here about those suffering from alcohol withdrawl. It will get better.
      no time like the present

Comment

tried to start yesterday

Yes, that's a good idea. And don't give up. The less and less you drink, the more you'll feel strong. There's so much on this site that'll help you to understand anything you need to know. Read, read, read.
        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

tried to start yesterday

Welcome Daffodil! :welcome:

How to get through this evening? DISTRACT yourself. There's a thread called "Tool box" in Goals - monthly abstinence that will give you some concrete ideas to try that might help. Have a look and see if anything sounds like it could work for you.
          sigpic
          AF since December 22nd 2008
          Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

tried to start yesterday

Daffodil,

Depending on much you are accustomed to drinking, tapering can be a good idea. I was drinking two bottles of wine a night, so my first night I had three beers. The next two, the next one, the next ,one light beer. I did this for about one week. Still, I felt horrible the first two days-panicky and anxious, mostly-but I worried less about serious withdrawal problems and it helped me psychologically to have a little AL. And, since I don't really like beer, I wasn't tempted to have more. You have to use your own judgment and see what works for you. Many say cold turkey is the only way...

Now I am AF (day 3) and taking Campral, which is terrific.

Those are just my thoughts!

AM

Comment

tried to start yesterday

To be honest, going cold turkey really depends on how much you drink. However, it's completely normal to have withdrawel symptoms when you to quit after abusing your body for soooo long. I guess it's like the body getting 'revenge'. Unless you start vomiting or feel REALLY ill, try to away from the drink, the more you go back to it, the more you'll have to deal with feeling ill. It takes a couple of days but it DOES get better!

Comment

tried to start yesterday

Welcome Daffodil and Cheeky!

We all have had many, many day ONEs - please don't feel bad or give up. You are trying and you are taking steps to take control. That's huge and that's fantastic.

I really can't comment on tapering vs. cold turkey... I did/do it cold turkey - but I really don't think my withdrawal symptoms are PHYSICAL... really more mental (Oh God, they were right... I AM mental! LOL) I think more than anything, understanding what your body and mind are dealing with is the key to success.

I'd like to invite both you to join us in the Newbie's Nest - a safe and warm place for beginners and veterans alike!
                Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Working...
                X