Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gastric Bypass and drinking anyone??

Hi!
    I have a question, I'm not sure anyone can help me with but....here it goes...
    I had a gastric bypass 15 years ago (I was an embarrassment to my dad)...I was pretty over weight. I've actually kept off the weight despite the 8-12 beers or a bottle of wine and 5 beers or 2 bottles of wine (yep I got it down to a science) a night. I think I have replaced my addiction to eating with the addiction of drinking....but it's so different to me since the bypass...the "buzz or relaxed" feeling comes so much faster and before you know it...hammered (like someone flipped a switch). I always feel I can come out of the drunken state fast too...as long as I get up right away and get my day started. I feel much like my food, my alcohol goes through me very fast. But I will tell you what, you don't want to be around me when the switch flips...I go from the funnest, happiest drunk to the meanest, rude, snotty drunk ever!! I've now turned to just staying at home where no one is here...when in public I can make one drink last forever...in fear of if I drank it like I normally do "people would know". I hate my double life...I can't wait to get to the doctor next week and to get my stuff in the mail...HURRY AND GET HERE!!!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

6/18/11--7/3/12
    7/29/12

Congrats on losing the weight! I can't drink in public either. I become a major B. I hope your dr appt goes good. I don't have any advice except get a plan and keep trying.
    MM

Comment

you may want to PM cinders..........she has had this experience as well.
      Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
      :h

Comment

hi SD: There are a number of people on here who've had gastric bypass. I hope some will respond to you soon. BTW, I also live in Packerland
        :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

yes, this I know is extremely common. Alcohol enters your bloodstream much faster, almost like you are mainlining it. Its a very common problem, even for people who never drank before the gb to develop alcohol problems because of the way alchol is a Lobsorbed after the gb. Several people on this site can give you more info and there is also support on the internet. Good luck!
          no time like the present

Comment

I packed on almost 50 lbs. (i am only 5'2) after my divorce almost 10 yrs. ago. When my present hubby and i started dating, the weight didn't bother him but it bothered me and with all the beer i was drinking at the time, I was only getting fatter.After I saw our wedding pictures (he looks like Robert Redford...I look like Miss Piggy) I went for a voluntary By-pass.The weight feel off but the AL went up. I had to switch to wine because of the volume of beer was now impossible with my small stomach. I got drunker and more obnoxious alot quicker, probably for both reasons.
            I think AL really took over my life for a few years, at that time. Hope this helps. I am glad to answer any questions that you may have. I do think that gastric By-pass accelerates ALCOHOLISM...but doesn't cause it.
            sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

I had gastric bypass almost 6 years ago. I can definately relate to the way alcohol effects you after the surgery. Before surgery I would have an occasional drink, but after surgery it has gotten progressively worse and I can drink up to 2 bottles a day. I can also relate to the switch going off, it comes really fast and leaves really fast. I think that is why we end up drinking so much because it leaves so fast. sdlovespackers you said you had surgery 15 years ago, have you always drank since surgery or has it gotten progressively worse. I didn't drink much the first year or so after surgery, but I have made up for it since. I am concerned about what I might be doing to my body, since our systems have been rearranged it is probably much harder on our bodies. I really want to get this under control and would like to hear from others what they did or are doing to quit. Thanks!!

Comment

I think my drinking started heavily about 4-5 years ago....it has progressively gotten worse throughout the those years. I was only 19 when I had the surgery...so access to alcohol wasn't readily available. I think I drank what seemed "normal" in college...did some weekend drinking when I got out of college...stopped when I was pregnant...why did I ever start I don't know...went downhill after I was done nursing and my marriage seemed on the rocks...the rest is history and here I am today....wanting with my whole heart to be a better person...not that I'm not a good person...but I want to feel I'm a good person...vicious, ugly cycle I've gotten myself into and like you very afraid of the "health" part of it. I'm hoping my order arrives soon!!!
                "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

6/18/11--7/3/12
                7/29/12

Comment

If I can answer any questions that you want to keep private...feel free to PM me..
                  sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Bump for Kimber. Universal is right -- you could PM (send a private message) to Cinders.

Comment

drinking after bypass

SD--I had bypass almost eight years ago. Lost over 140 pounds. Nearly five years ago I started drinking and MAN! Instant buzz, then quicky sober, too. Goes through that fast. But as I continued drinking, I could hold more and more (still not as much as others but way too much in the long run). I have gained 30 pounds --most likely from booze--and now consider myself to be an alcoholic who isn't drinking now.

Yes, there were triggers like psycho mom, Satanic new boss, menopause (my personal favorite) and lots of stress, all at the same time. But I have done a lot of reading and research.This is called addiction transfer and LOTS of people who have had bypass refocus their compulsive and/or addictive behaviors toward alcohol instead of food. Oddly enough, it is mostly women. There's a ton of info out there, just Google addiction transfer. I think knowledge is our best weapon.

It is a difficult struggle--but we can do it! Feel free to ask me anything--you don't even have to PM me..I rarely hold back.

Comment

Working...
                      X