New girl here a few questions about alcohol withdrawal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I'm 39 & have been drinking regularly ever since I was 16. I've had breaks now & again or drank moderately but for most of the last few years with exception of last year when I was pregnant, I have drank 1 - 1 & a half bottles of white wine per night or every second night at least so at most I'll have a days break between drinking. I'm really fed up with drinking so much & want to give up for my husband & baby son or at least cut down to safe drinking, a couple of glasses a week! I've heard of alcohol withdrawals, that they can be severe & even life threatening. I used to only start drinking wine after 5pm but over the past few months, I've started having a glass or two with lunch at the most then having the rest of my bottle or bottle & a half at night. I've never drank in the mornings & associate that with being a true alcoholic but now I think that's a farce. I think I am an alcoholic to be drinking this much but am terrified of the withdrawal symptoms, seizures & all that. Has anyone cut down or cut out from home without the help of medication or hospitals drinking at the same levels as me? Appreciate any advice as I'm feeling lost & scared. Thanks so much all.:new:

To coops

Alcohol Withdrawal

Please seek professional care if you are experiencing alcohol withdrawal symptoms. Here is some additional information:

InteliHealth:
    Specific Medical Treatment for Alcohol Withdrawal Symptoms
    MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia: Alcohol withdrawal

Some usefull links coop that may answer some of your questions (you will have to copy and paste them)
    or if you go to the main page and see the thread by Roberta Jewel you will be able to just click on them.
    Good luck coop, please come back and share your story it not only helps us but you will see it will help you also.

Sean x

TYFE:l
    It's nice to be important, however it's more important to be nice

Comment

Welcome to this site, you are taking a huge step towards recovery by recognizing the problem and now making changes. I was in the same boat as you with wine and I have cut it out completely starting this month of January. I have had no problems with withdrawal, only cravings but they are getting less strong as time passes. I also take the supplements and follow the MWO program by exercising.
      "Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance

Comment

welcome Coops! withdrawls are indeed serious stuff but it's hard to say at what risk you are. I'd follow Seans links and read up as much as you can.
        I've done many home detoxes. most have been uncomfortable and a few have been downright scary but they were after multi-day binges where I'd drink considerably more than 1 1/2 bottles per day.
        things you can expect from a mild withdrawl are elevated body temperature and severe irritation and really crappy sleep for a few days.
        taking extra supplements of Magnesium and B vitamins (make sure it includes B1 thiamine) in addition to a good multi vitamin are helpful for your nerves.
        if things get scary have hubby drive you to a detox center, or your family doc for a referral, or even the ER if your doc is not available.
        keep us up to speed on how you are doing!
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hi Coops, welcome.

I am very much the same level drinker as you - every evening for years I've had a bottle or just over of wine. I went AF for 11 days then had 2 small glasses of wine last night. My overall aim is to get into the recommended drinking guidelines - I estimate I was drinking about 50 units a week and want it to be more like 14 i.e. 2 bottle of wine a week.

It's not the same for everyone, but I only had a mild headache for the first couple of days then no symptoms after that. Didn't sleep well for about 3 nights, but then I always woke between 3 and 4am on wine anyway. Then after day 3 I've been sleeping better than I had for years. So all positives from me - I didn't feel withdrawal I just felt better and better to be honest. Plus I didn't take anything to for the first 10 days to help i.e. sups or meds etc and it is only now that I have the Starter Pack that I am taking the Kudzu, L-Glut and the vits - didn't feel I need them but I figure that anything that helps is a good thing.

Love to hear your progess, feel free to email me etc to chat more.
          AC x x

Comment

Hey there Coops - indeed withdrawl is different for each of us.
            I experienced my most brutal withdrawls as a result of sleep deprivation when going AF. I was drinking up to 3 litres of wine or one and a half of vodka per day - what I DID find, was that doing it without medication was a MUST (for me) - as the meds only relaxed me enough to want to drink again ( strange but true paradox of my alcoholism)
            As UKSean has suggested - defo seek medical advice, have a good nosey through some of the posts and threads on this AWESOME site that relate to withdrawls - and perhaps PM some members that you relate to more personally.

All very, very best mate - and GREAT to have you on board
            *Serenity is the calm WITHIN the storm*

Comment

Working...
            X