PDA

View Full Version : YIPEEE !!!..I Got a NEW BIKE !!!

Evie.Lou
January 19th, 2009, 12:19 PM
OK.... now must be the time to get with a fitness program, for me. Yesterday I walked into our local thrift shop and there she sat...The bike of my DREAMS..
She is a very neat old vintage balloon tire, BLUE HUFFY beach bike....It was magic. Since she is a Huffy with balloon tires and magic...I named her Puffy of MAGIC DRAGON FAME. I am polishing her up and putting a big basket on front...a loud horn, lights and then Watch out...here I come.
I am wondering about how many miles would be a good goal to start with ?? I do the stair climber and ab lounger and walk about 3 miles 2 or 3 times a week. Not exactly what I really think that a good exercise program should be...any suggestions are welcome. Riding in sand is harder than on pavement so if it is 2 miles to the beach and 2 miles back...how many miles on the beach would be a realistic place to start without hurting myself ??

LookingToGrow
January 19th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Yes, we want a picture of Puffy!

IAD
January 19th, 2009, 12:34 PM
http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj471/AndiiTheStalkeress/Motivational%20posters/image012.gifGood luck on your bike.......I seem to have mishaps when I get on them ! Ha!( I stick to stationary bikes...less trouble IAD )

Evie.Lou
January 19th, 2009, 12:55 PM
IAD;524198 wrote: http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj471/AndiiTheStalkeress/Motivational%20posters/image012.gifGood luck on your bike.......I seem to have mishaps when I get on them ! Ha!( I stick to stationary bikes...less trouble IAD )

You crack me up IAD !!!
When I was drinking, i had a tricycle...ran it into the neighbors car...and dented it...Yicks
worse part, he saw me do it ...LOL

PICS WILL FOLLOW ASAP...need to get all her gadgets on first...for her first public showing...think i will re-watch Pee-Wees great adventure...doesn't he ride a cool bike it that movie ???
Suggestions welcome.

last call
January 19th, 2009, 01:30 PM
New Bike

Hey I ride a bike all the time. No choice, but have come to really enjoy it. Just wish I lived in the country. I'm always dodging cars. Make sure you get a good lock and use it. I've had 3 bikes stolen in the last 2 years because I didn't lock them and one they just clipped the lock. Try a couple of miles at first or even more. If you get tired you can always walk it. I do that alot. Don't forget a water bottle too. Pleasant riding. :elk:

last call
January 19th, 2009, 01:36 PM
New bike

Hey, just saw the picture of ur new bike. Nice! Streamers???How old are you? Only kidding. Ever see the lights you can put on your wheels that blink on and off constantly. You might like them. Vanity plate? There's all kinds of stuff out there..H :cool:

Evie.Lou
January 19th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Great ideas...I MUST HAVE THOSE STREAMERS...the colors are perfect..
I will need a water bottle...maybe just one to put in my big basket ??
Cars will be an issue...even on the beach. Here in Northern Florida, they let them drive on the sand...Hadn't thought about a lock ???? I may have to look into that.

Evie.Lou
January 19th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Baseball cards and clothespins for wheel accents...what do you think ???

Evie.Lou
January 19th, 2009, 01:47 PM
one2many;524229 wrote: You HAVE to have streamers in the handlebars Evie..that would be so you!

http://www.kissyourshadow.com/images/blog/051806_streamers.jpg

And a big old fashioned bicycle horn...

http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/PAB2181.jpg

Oney, You won't believe this but Hubby just walked in with Streamers....Yeah...pics soon to follow.

Evie.Lou
January 19th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Told you that you were a natural psychic...

Evie.Lou
January 19th, 2009, 02:54 PM
COOL Streamers!!
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt162/ancientcityinn/Jan09.jpg

Evie.Lou
January 19th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Puffy will do a slow stripe tease and remember...as she revels herself, it is all because of the genius of Oney..who has let a monster loss by teaching me how to post pics...LOL

Evie.Lou
January 19th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I hope the flowers on the end will spin in the wind...LOL

Lila
January 19th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I have a Girl Bike too...basket in front, pink water bottle holder, sounds lovely Evie!!! Mine has flower decals too!
Can't wait for more pix, nothing is better than a bike!
Lila

greeneyes
January 19th, 2009, 05:30 PM
A wicker basket with ribbons woven through it!

Evie.Lou
January 19th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Wicker basket...YES!!!..Perfect place to put my beach blanket in case I POOP out and I need to lay down for a rest...
I am thinking maybe a matching sun hat with matching ribbons(same color as on my basket) woven as a hat band....
Exercising and making A real fashion statement at the same time, paired with my biggie movie star sunglasses..
WOW...won't I look sharp ???

IAD
January 19th, 2009, 06:05 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/hrmt246/peewee.jpg Here Evie.......Pee Wee's bike. Ha! IAD.

Evie.Lou
January 19th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Is that Pee Wee ??? Didn't recognize him without his hand down his pants...LOL
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the headlight...gonna go check and see if they have one on Ebay.

Sunbeam
January 19th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Gee, Evielou, you could start by riding around Chautauqua Lake.... Just kidding, but I actually did that several summers a "few" years ago.

I do still enjoy riding, though, when there is no snow on the ground. I like the temperature to be at least 40. In my area I do 20 mile loops on country roads a couple of times per week in the summer. I also ride my bike to/from work when weather permits. Light, streamers, why not? Have fun! I can't tell you a single thing about riding on sand, but it is probably something like snow. Soft snow is pretty unstable, so maybe you need to ride on the firm damp part of the beach.

Evie.Lou
January 20th, 2009, 09:12 AM
WOW Sunny, Did you go ALL THE WAY around the lake, up passed Mayville ??? ...I would have cheated and taken the Bemus ferry...LOL

DeeBee
January 20th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I just love your bike!!

Just reminded me of when I was a kid, my brother and I would cut a square piece of cardboard and attach it to the spikes of our wheels with a peg -- as you ride it make the most awesome racket.

LVT25
January 20th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Ohhhhhh EvieLou, I am soooooo jealous!!! I would love a vintage bike. But I wouldn't ride it, I would display it with flowers in the basket!!!!!

Can't wait for the pics!!

Evie.Lou
January 20th, 2009, 09:50 AM
DeeBee;524803 wrote: I just love your bike!!

Just reminded me of when I was a kid, my brother and I would cut a square piece of cardboard and attach it to the spikes of our wheels with a peg -- as you ride it make the most awesome racket.
Hubby said that instead of just cardboard, he used his Mickey Mantel, Lou Garic baseball card collection...If he would have thought of just cardboard...we could be retired now...LOL

DeeBee
January 20th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Ha Ha, brilliant!!

LVT25
January 20th, 2009, 10:18 AM
OH, NO!!!!

Evie.Lou
January 20th, 2009, 10:21 AM
LVT25;524811 wrote: Ohhhhhh EvieLou, I am soooooo jealous!!! I would love a vintage bike. But I wouldn't ride it, I would display it with flowers in the basket!!!!!

Can't wait for the pics!!

I have an old tricycle that would be a lovely planter...thanks for the idea !!!
I started using soft scrub and Puffy is starting to shine thru..Today i will use navel jelly on her chrome...pics to follow..

on my way
January 20th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Evie, so excited for you and your new puffy. My bike is one of my fav things. I ride to the grocery store and every where else I can go. I have a trailer I pull the little guys in. You need some rattle beads for your spokes and a pin wheel, maybe a cape for you????

nat

Evie.Lou
January 20th, 2009, 01:38 PM
on my way;524954 wrote: Evie, so excited for you and your new puffy. My bike is one of my fav things. I ride to the grocery store and every where else I can go. I have a trailer I pull the little guys in. You need some rattle beads for your spokes and a pin wheel, maybe a cape for you????

nat
PINWHEELS...yes Pinwheels would be charming..Did you see the streamers that hubby bought me ?? They have kinda pinwheels on the ends...not sure if they will spin??? We'll see, as soon as we get a tire pump. I can't wait until the new Publix market is open at Vilano beach (2 miles from home)...I am glad you brought that up...THANKS...before i bought my basket...it must be big enough to hold grocery's.
Maybe a trailer to carry all my extra stuff would be nice too...
It will add weight to my exercise ...get it.Haha...weight, exercise ...OK I will shut up !!!1

on my way
January 20th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I had a seat for a toddler on my bike and the trailer for two (total 3 boys)...called it mama x-biking. I found the trailer at a garage sale $40.00, retailed for 420.00 :-)
I love a deal!!

USMgirl
January 21st, 2009, 06:38 PM
Oh Evie!!! I lOVE the streamers that hubby brought home!!!! What a sweetheart!

Enjoy your new bike!!! She sounds wonderful!!!!!
:clapping2:

last call
February 9th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Evie

Just wondering. Have you been out on that new bike of yours yet? aka mary ann

IAD
February 9th, 2009, 11:17 AM
http://www.veryfunnypics.com/pics/sports/images/walkingbike.jpgEvie & Last call..........how do you like my new bike ! Ha! IAD

last call
February 9th, 2009, 11:25 AM
One step at a time. I like it. Where do you get these things IAD? :H:H:H

LookingToGrow
February 9th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Only IAD could find this...LOL!!

Evie.Lou
February 10th, 2009, 07:32 AM
IAD;542750 wrote: http://www.veryfunnypics.com/pics/sports/images/walkingbike.jpgEvie & Last call..........how do you like my new bike ! Ha! IAD
I am so JEALOUS !!!! I need new tires and I WANT THOSE !!!
I rode PUFFY yesterday and got about 3 miles down the road (long walk home) and the tire went soft ... must get an inner tube or ....perhaps. steal IADs wheels...LOL

Prest4time
March 1st, 2009, 09:14 PM
Hi Evie!
So exciting about your bike... I have a beach cruiser I bought at a bike shop right near the beach about five months ago and love it! It's lime green... whoo hoo! But the bike shop owner is an expert on bikes, and he said that riding them on the beach is going to shorten the life of your bike -- even if its made for sand. The salt water is brutal on the chain and the body of the bike. So maybe swing in a bike shop -- you know there are lots around here as I am right up the beach from you! Ask them if there are any precautions you can do to lengthen the life of that great bike.

I have never taken mine on the beach... I just run there. I have lots of bike trails where I live, so I stick to those. Also... I bought a water bottle attachment for mine... it hooks right onto the front and I keep cold bottled water with me all the time when biking.

Have fun! :)

Evie.Lou
March 2nd, 2009, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the heads up Prest, I hadn't thought about the salt but it makes alot of sense. I lived in Buffalo and our cars always rotted out from the salt they used on the roads in the winter..I wonder if hosing it off when I get home would solve the problem. I will ask around. I am glad you brought this up. I love to ride down St. George street early in the morning and around the square, The town is so peaceful then...AND no salt danger there...

peacenik
March 15th, 2009, 01:10 AM
I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket
A bell that rings
And things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it

You're the kind of girl that fits in with my world
I'll give you anything
Everything if you want things