Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does sobriety get easier???? How do any of you cope??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone,

I have had an almost alcohol free January, except for a couple of slips. This is a big change from my bottle of wine a night, sometimes more. I have lost over 7 pounds and am starting to see curves again I feel better, look better, sleep better.........BUT the cravings are still there. I am taking my supplements and I double up on the glutamine at night. I think my cravings are mostly psychological. I still have to talk myself out of buying that bottle every night.

To cope during the evening witching hour I go to the gym, come to this site, walk around the neighborhood block, shop, sleep, eat, anything to keep me occupied.

Wondering if this gets easier???? and any new advice on how to cope?
    "Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance

Hi Swans, I was a bottle of wine a night girl too. Glad you are losing weight - I've been expecting to but haven't yet. Could be that I am replacing the wine with peanuts and chocolate - I get the nibbles in the evening! I've recently upped my L-Glut to see if that will stop the sugar craving as I've never had a sweet tooth before.

I am not desperate for the wine (I've had 4/5 units in 18 days) and haven't overly enjoyed the glasses I have had. But I do have to decide if the day is an AF day or not every morning and still think about it loads in the evenings. My overall aim is not to be totally AF but to get within the recommended drinking guidlines of 14 units a week with lots of AF days each week.

I am sure that we are just breaking a habit and soon it will be less obessive, especially around the normal drinking time. Time will make it easier and not being too hard on yourself, I feel much better too and face/eyes are clearer, not bloated and tired looking plus sleeping brilliantly which is a huge change. Just wish the pounds would fall off as promised!!

If you read a few of the other people's stories on this site you will soon see that the odd craving in the evening pales to insignificance compared to what some more advanced drinkers are going through. It's a bloody rocky road.

Loads of luck to you.
    AC x x

Comment

Does it get easier

I don't know, the only time in many years that I gave up drinking for more than a week was when I was in a rehab. about 2 yrs. ago for 9 mo. I didn't even think of alcohol after awhile. But that was different, I didn't have the freedom to walk to the liquor store. I could have walked out anytime I wanted to, but I wasn't about to be stranded in the middle of PA just for a quick fix. Anyway that didn't help. When I came home from there, as soon as I got off the bus I got a pint of vodka. 3 months later I had to enter a detox for 4 days. Since then I've been on and off it. This time I'm determined to make it the last time so help me God. I'm AF 5 days now. It's all out of my body now, so I guess it is alot easier as the days go by. No more shakes, no more sleepless night, and no more panic attacks. When I think about the future I get a little nervous, so I put it out of my mind and just go odat. That's where my heads at right now. I hope I gave you some kind of insight. Best of luck! :elk: :thumbs: I love these littel smilies. Have a good night and a great weekend.
      Starting over again
      ray:

Comment

Hi Aussie Chick, replacing wine with peanuts and chocolate is still better than drinking. I am also taking in more sweets. I read somewhere that the body sees alcohol and sugar as the same thing and eliminating sugar eliminates the alcohol craving. Easier said than done, for sure. I think that going to the gym and taking kickboxing has helped get the pounds off quicker. Thanks for your advice.

Mary Ann, good for you for being AF for 5 days, I think every day counts and in time it builds us to become stronger for the next time.
        Keep it up and thanks for the support.

Comment

hey swans
          It certainly does get easier over time and I rarely think about it now except in a good way - how happy I am to have control over my binge drinking/smoking. There are always going to be ups and down along the way but the longer you go the better you feel. I dont think you can break the habits of 20 years (in my case) in a month but I know that after 30 days I felt a lot better although still scared I would slip back then 60 days and 90 days I was euphoric mostly at my sucess (the honeymoon period). That sort of wore off a bit after 6 months sort of - what now? but a slip sure knocked me for six and I learnt a lot from that so it wont be happening again. Now at almost 10 months my life is calm and normal and I am not controlled by substances. Good for you girls you are well on your way.
          BH

Comment

Hey boozehag,

Thanks for the insight and good for you, it is a good feeling isnt it? !!! I also gave up cigarettes so I know what you mean, letting go of these vices is empowering but not a smooth process.

Comment

Hi Swans
              I still get the odd craving for a ciggy when I least expect it but rarely for AL now. But then again it could be my brain trying to trick me into have a ciggy in the hope that the AL will follow which it always would have done before. I always have to stay a couple of steps ahead of myself and my addictions then I am fine. I totally rely on the L-glut and other supplements as I just cannot be trusted on my own!
              BH

Comment

chocolate

I have NEVER like candy of any kind--prefer salty things--but now I can't get enough of cake, cookies and candy. Hopefully that will fade away ans the AL does.

Comment

Hiya Swans. Sounds like you're going great! It also sounds like you're focusing on 'deprivation' more than 'gratitude'? There is a great post, i think from W.I.P. in the toolbox thread, (monthly abstinence forum) about attitude. Our attitude when af. Is it one of feeling grateful for this new lease of life?, or is it a feeling of deprivation, always thinking of the grog? For me, there needs to be a shift in my thinking, and an ever evolving plan, as to how to fill the hole that al used to fill. I know this stuff is pretty obvious, but the post on 'Deprivation vs. Gratitude' (i think that's the title), and associated post's, you might find interesting. Safe travel's....................G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

I don't know if it gets easier. I don't have cravings every night but I think that's because of the Campral. I did get one bad craving the other night and just kept my mind busy through it. I haven't been watching my diet, but still have lost 5 lbs in the last 1 1/2 weeks. I do have sweet cravings though. I just let myself have them. To me, it's better than drinking. It's weird but I find that sipping on Coke instead of beer, seems to keep my thoughts off of drinking. I wish I had the answer for you, but I just don't know. For me, I think it's the Campral that's keeping the every day/every night cravings at bay.

SK
                    AF since 1/2009

Comment

New & ramblings

:new: HI!
                      I just stopped drinking January 13th. I've been trying since April 2007. I just couldn't figure out whyI couldn't just stop?
                      It's been going on since summer of 2007.
                      Disaster hit me & blew my life apart in Oct.'07.
                      I wound up without a home and my pets died.
                      I then escalted to passing out alone everynight on at least a pint of vodka.
                      I didn't want to..but I literally couldn't stop myself.
                      After a year of it I was afraid to quit for fear of withdrawals...so I'd buy a bottle to "taper off"...only to wind up drinking it all alone again to pass out again.
                      I went to AA & and became ashamed to to tell them that it wasn't working for me like it was for them.
                      It's a rural area with lots of gossip..even in AA.
                      I did tell one lady that I hadn't stayed sober from my first meeting, and she looked at me in shock and said "Oh my God!"
                      I am a believer and I couldn't understand why God wasn't helping me.

On Jan.12th I saw I'd had another blackout that night and written an email to a freind I couldn't remember writing...it was full of rage & anger & misspellings.
                      It wasn't the first time I'd done this in blackouts. I lost friends and broke my foot also.
                      Something in me just said...NO MORE.
                      My desire to drink left me so far.
                      I'd been taking L-Glutamine & Kudzo but still kept craving & giving in.

This week I bought a bottle of wine in case I got in trouble with dts.
                      I felt shaky and drank a glass, then didn't want more.
                      Then 2 nights ago I had a glass real LATE at night...and found myself guzzling it even though I didn't want to. Starting to drink LATE at night seems to really trigger me.
                      Last night I had no desire for any wine.
                      I ordered this stuff called: Chai Hu Long Gu Mu Li San
                      A chinese herb byPlum Flower Brand FORMULA
                      I swear it's really helping me like a miracle!

I'm still in a very lonely & painful time in my life.
                      I wake up with a lot of sadness.
                      I'm an artist who hasn't done a painting in a long time.
                      I'm stuck in neutral.

As I write this I feel a craving. It's cold & foggy & the sun's setting.
                      I'm alone and feel empty inside. I don't mind being alone..I usually like it.
                      But lately sometimes I ache inside & feel fear.

It's hard to get to AA meetings here...the nearest is 40 miles 1 way.
                      No one wants to share rides usually, and I work at night til 12am.
                      After the meetings ppl go there own way w/ their click of friends.
                      Most are older and married w/grandkids. I feel so out of it.
                      There's no coffee or fellowship...I drive home alone in the dark cold night.
                      That scares me too as I have anxiety/PTSD disorder.

Maybe I should get one of these meds to curb cravings.
                      I think once I break the habit & get used to not overdrinking, it'll stick if I have some other tools.
                      Phew! Sorry this got so long, lol!
                      I just hope to get my life back.
                      I used to be able to drink moderately just for fun without obsessing about it.
                      I want me back.
                      I want to breathe in the blue spaces again.

:thanks:Thanks,
                      Blue xo

Comment

Hi Bluespaces, you have shared so much and have been through even more...... I think you should post what you wrote to me, under "my story" on this site. You are doing great and it must have took a lot of courage to share what you have.
                        Please keep me posted with your progress/problems........you have friends here and you are not alone, keep your chin up

bluespaces;527806 wrote: :new: HI!
                        I just stopped drinking January 13th. I've been trying since April 2007. I just couldn't figure out whyI couldn't just stop?
                        It's been going on since summer of 2007.
                        Disaster hit me & blew my life apart in Oct.'07.
                        I wound up without a home and my pets died.
                        I then escalted to passing out alone everynight on at least a pint of vodka.
                        I didn't want to..but I literally couldn't stop myself.
                        After a year of it I was afraid to quit for fear of withdrawals...so I'd buy a bottle to "taper off"...only to wind up drinking it all alone again to pass out again.
                        I went to AA & and became ashamed to to tell them that it wasn't working for me like it was for them.
                        It's a rural area with lots of gossip..even in AA.
                        I did tell one lady that I hadn't stayed sober from my first meeting, and she looked at me in shock and said "Oh my God!"
                        I am a believer and I couldn't understand why God wasn't helping me.

On Jan.12th I saw I'd had another blackout that night and written an email to a freind I couldn't remember writing...it was full of rage & anger & misspellings.
                        It wasn't the first time I'd done this in blackouts. I lost friends and broke my foot also.
                        Something in me just said...NO MORE.
                        My desire to drink left me so far.
                        I'd been taking L-Glutamine & Kudzo but still kept craving & giving in.

This week I bought a bottle of wine in case I got in trouble with dts.
                        I felt shaky and drank a glass, then didn't want more.
                        Then 2 nights ago I had a glass real LATE at night...and found myself guzzling it even though I didn't want to. Starting to drink LATE at night seems to really trigger me.
                        Last night I had no desire for any wine.
                        I ordered this stuff called: Chai Hu Long Gu Mu Li San
                        A chinese herb byPlum Flower Brand FORMULA
                        I swear it's really helping me like a miracle!

I'm still in a very lonely & painful time in my life.
                        I wake up with a lot of sadness.
                        I'm an artist who hasn't done a painting in a long time.
                        I'm stuck in neutral.

As I write this I feel a craving. It's cold & foggy & the sun's setting.
                        I'm alone and feel empty inside. I don't mind being alone..I usually like it.
                        But lately sometimes I ache inside & feel fear.

It's hard to get to AA meetings here...the nearest is 40 miles 1 way.
                        No one wants to share rides usually, and I work at night til 12am.
                        After the meetings ppl go there own way w/ their click of friends.
                        Most are older and married w/grandkids. I feel so out of it.
                        There's no coffee or fellowship...I drive home alone in the dark cold night.
                        That scares me too as I have anxiety/PTSD disorder.

Maybe I should get one of these meds to curb cravings.
                        I think once I break the habit & get used to not overdrinking, it'll stick if I have some other tools.
                        Phew! Sorry this got so long, lol!
                        I just hope to get my life back.
                        I used to be able to drink moderately just for fun without obsessing about it.
                        I want me back.
                        I want to breathe in the blue spaces again.

:thanks:Thanks,
                        Blue xo

Comment

[Thanks swans,
                          Yea, maybe i should put it in My Story.
                          I'm so new to this & sooooooooooooo glad i found it!
                          Happy FridayB][/B]

Comment

omg. sorry. i posted in the wrong place.
                            i'm so sorry & so gone.
                            i can't figure this all out.

Comment

LOL Blue... doesn't really matter WHERE you post it... as long as you can get it off your chest Welcome and kudos for being so honest and courageous. Hope to hear a lot more from you!
                              Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Working...
                              X