Cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking

Hi All, firstly im enjoying the forum and finding it very helpful but I have just realized something. I cannot cook dinner since I have given up. Is this common. It must be that I associate cooking with drinking. Last week I spent the minimum of time in the kitchen, just chucking a roast in the oven and tossing in the veg in between being on the couch, then asking my hubby the cut up the meat. Im usually in there trying to create some exotic sauce and just farting around, drinking my wine and having a good time. This week Im not interested at all. Any suggestions?

Cooking

I went through the exact same thing. Luckily my DH is quite handy in the kitchen so I got him to cook. The good news is that I have re-descovered my joy for cooking up a feast again.
    My suggestion is to just go with the flow... your AF-ness is too important.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Cooking

Hi QC. I was the same, its taken about 3 weeks, but I was baking oatmeal cookies at the weekend because I was craving them (?). I just bought a new Cook book yesterday and am going to get it out and start making again. I've found if I have a big wine glass full of ice, soda water and lemon that does the trick. I agree with Dee-bee hang on in there and it will come back.
      Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

Cooking

on the other hand....

all I have done is cook and eat, eat and cook. Big lunches on the weekends, huge dinners, appetizers after work.
        I have gained 8 pounds...:upset:

Comment

Cooking

I'm still doing lots of eating!! I LOOKED at my new cookbook and am now waiting for my Hubby to come in with a Take-Away Lol! I know I'm going to have to break out the fruit and veggies at some point though..........
          Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

Cooking

Thank you all. Will try to get some normallity back. Have gained 1.5kg since giving up my drink. thought I would lose weight. Have to get off the carb drinks. Thanks again and will keep reading.

Comment

Cooking

Dear Qld.,
              Yep, I also took slightly less interest in the kitchen...but Mr. Rags is a great cook. It will pass.
              What intrigues me is that you gained weight when you stopped filling your body with the useless calories from alcohol. It is most likely the soft drinks are non diet, so it seems you're effectively substituting alcoholic calories for soft drink calories. Try diet soft drinks, or while it is still mango time in Qld., make yourself some mango lassis... they taste great and are super healthy. I'm making them while I can get mangoes at $15 a box down here.

Comment

Cooking

Qld - I think it's a sort of sulk, like "what's the point in cooking something great if I can't enjoy a nice wine?" Foodies have a hard time thinking of one without the other.

After a lot experimenting, I've basically settled on Waterfords Diet Mineral Water instead of the Diet Coke. I also really like cold mint tea.

*Rags, you make me grumpy. Down here I paid $2.95 for a mango last week.

Comment

Cooking

Q-cookie.. yup, lack of motivation is so normal. Thats a big stressor cooking.. when i did my longest recovery, my counselor talked to hubby, if she isn't up to cooking, improvise, or cook yourself. I can now, cook without alcohol. Love to eat, and i cook better than i have in a lifetime.. Durning the week on focus on good meals and put my effort into making them real good. :yay:

Cookie.. i would buy fruit bowls, veggie platters and wraps, meatless subs, whatever i could stuff in myself until i was strong enough to face the stove with OUT a glass of wine. We must eat food to overcome the wine, i know its hard. Raw cauliflower is the best to munch on will cooking..

Take care.. Ripple. :l

Comment

Cooking

QUEENSLANDCOOKIE;535758 wrote: Hi All, firstly im enjoying the forum and finding it very helpful but I have just realized something. I cannot cook dinner since I have given up. Is this common. It must be that I associate cooking with drinking. Last week I spent the minimum of time in the kitchen, just chucking a roast in the oven and tossing in the veg in between being on the couch, then asking my hubby the cut up the meat. Im usually in there trying to create some exotic sauce and just farting around, drinking my wine and having a good time. This week Im not interested at all. Any suggestions?
                    I felt similiar to that...love to cook...bring on the wine..
                    I had to change my routine for awhile...in fact it was good for me to do different things at different times when i was in early recovery..
                    Now i stock my pantry with lots of non alcoholic things to drink...herb teas have become a favorite. I drink from SPECIAL GLASSES OR CUPS and really enjoy being in the kitchen again.
                    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Cooking

Yes, I have to admit .......loved getting buzzed on wine while I cooked .........oh well
                      Matt

Comment

Cooking

Ripple,
                        Raw cauli? Buit I guess you wouldn't be munching too much of it.
                        Tawny, I'm going to plant a couple of mango trees when I get back from Japan. They will grow here but not as well as Qld. I'll send you a couple... in about 4 years!!
                        Qld.
                        I used to HAVE to have several slurps of wine when I made lasagna. Often found there wasn't enough for the lasagna so another bottle was opened. We train ourselves to do amazing things that become an ingrained habit. That really is what alcoholism is....a habit. You can take away it's power. Not always easy. But achievable.

Comment

Cooking

Hi QLD Cookie - (I'm in QLD by the way). Suffered exactly the same as you - def want to drink while cooking dinner, totally my weak time. I just poured myself v large slinline tonic & lime drinks to get through... a few weeks down the line and it doesn't bother me at all now.

Another suggestion is to do your food prep at a non drinking time like earlier in the day and just leave the minimum to do later.

Hey, I've also gained weight, the exercise may be to blame as it builds a bit of muscle plus I've been snacking a bit too much on sweet stuff and my stomach used to be really upset by the alcohol and now it isnt so I guess food stays in my body longer! (too much information!!).

Good luck to you anyway.
                          AC x x x

Comment

Cooking

Remember when...?

A little wine in the pan...a little wine in me....a little more for me.....:H

Comment

Working...
                            X