Want to start program, but scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just went on this site for the first time this morning. I feel ashamed and scared. I have been a heavy wine drinker for over 10 years and I want to do something about it. This program seem so interesting. It just feels good to be able to talk to people with the same problem. I am so ashamed and no one but my husband knows about my problem (he too drinks too much, but I don't think his problem is as bad as mine.

hi theres lots of help here and welcom,hope, your name says it all, there is hope if you give it a chance, maybe hubby will join the band wagon for you both,once you get a little sober time then you can decide which way is best, good luck gyco

Comment

[QUOTE=hope1;538740]I I feel ashamed and scared.
      Hey Hope
      You are very welcome here no need to feel ashamed or scared. We are all here for the same reason and everyone wants to help. The strength hope and unity of the group will get you through. Keep reading and post often and u will get the hang of things
      :welcome:

Comment

Hi Hope,

Hope was my aunt's name! We have a lot in common. Wine is my problem, too, and my husband drinks way too much beer. This forum has helped me tremendously. Your first post was great! It's nice to meet you :l

Becoming
        "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

me too

Hi hope
          I just ventured into this myself. I too am scared. For me its also too much wine...i am ashamed and no one knows.
          I really dont know too much about the program but this week I have been feeling desperate.
          a ship in the harbor is a safe ship...but ships were not built for harbors.....

Comment

wthin,

We're here for you, too. Please keep reading and posting and reaching out. It gets better, I promise you. I was drinking 2 bottles of wine a night and blacking out. No more. You can do it, too. It's hard at first but this forum helps so much. I followed, and continue to follow, the My Way Out program as much as possible. It makes a difference. :h

Becoming
            "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

:welcome: hope1

Glad you found us! There's loads of info and support here to help you. It IS scary making a big change but it's so worth it!
              sigpic
              AF since December 22nd 2008
              Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Hello hope and welcome!

As other have said... often change is scary - new things are difficult until they are no longer new... then they are easy

Good luck and congrats on taking control of your life!
                Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Hi Hope and :welcome:

You will find a lot of support here. Stick around and tell us more about yourself.

If I could give any advice to a newbie it is be prepared to make a plan and stick with it. Try to find what will work within your life. I had a hard time finding time for the CDs and then couldn't keep up with all the supps and I failed. So I had to modify my plan and schedule time for the CDs. Instead of ALL the supps I picked out what I felt I could keep up with. So find what works for you. Everyones journey is different but the one thing we have in common is each other. So reach out, we are here to help.

:l
                  Ak
                  :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

Hi Hope, welcome. Loads of us are new here and only been using the site for a month or so. We are all in the same boat - up till early January I had been drinking at least a bottle of wine a night for as long as I can remember too. I felt so guilty about it and knew for years I needed to get round to doing something about it.

Scary to do you first day alcohol free but once you have you then realise that you can and it gives you a great sense of getting control back into your life. Whether you want to give up completely or just get your drinking into sensible levels is your choice and you will find loads of help and support here. The book, the supplements, the CDs, the recommended exercise all help you make it an easier journey than trying to do it without.

Good luck to you and don't be scared - go for it!

Look forward to seeing you around.
                    AC x x x

Comment

:welcome: Hope. it is scary--every day is scary but this is a great spot to find support.

Comment

Hi, Hope, and welcome. Here's another way to look at it: even though it is "the familiar," nothing truly could be as scary as continuing to drink our way into a lifetime of misery and humiliation... Making changes is difficult, but do-able, definitely do-able. Stick around.

Comment

Welcome...so glad you found us...
                          We are all in this together and there is such power in numbers of people who share the same goals...you can beat this, I know you can !!
                          sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Hi Evie

Thanks for the encouragement.

Comment

Hey Hope, I feel the same - scared and ashamed. I'm hoping My Way Out will be the family and friends I have lost in my quest for "freedom". I hope I can be a friend to someone who wants to relate ... so open up and don't feel alone, you're not.

Comment

Working...
                              X