I cant believe I am doing this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone out there? I really have never done the internet chat thing but I quit drinking only 3 short days ago and (of the few people I told) only my sister really gets it. So, I am feeling very alone and scared right now. How can I ditch my worst enemy when they are also my best friend? Seriously though, I am determined to quit but not an AA type of girl. Unfortunately, I live in the drinking capitol of the country (Wisconsin) and need someone..something..besides a drink!:new:
    Liath

:welcome:Hi Liath from a fellow Wisconsinite! Yes, we do love our beverages here, no question . I had never been part of a forum like this either, but it is a wonderful community and there is tons of support here. Look around at the different parts of the site, read a lot ... this is a great place.
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

I just found this website last week. So I'm new here too. Read and post and you will start toward the journey of being AF. I wish you the best!!!!
      RUM IS POISON AF since 09/28/09

"The hangover last a lot longer than the buzz!!!" quote from FloridaBoy

Comment

Welcome Liath!

Yep, have a look around, read lots and post when you feel comfy!
        Congrats on taking the first steps! You will find your way out... no doubt!

Hey, I rhymed! God, it must be getting late... I better go lay down. :H
        Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Wisco

I always knew that someday I'd have to quit. I have been flirting with disaster..risking everything I have going in life for far too long. I have kept telling myself.. someday but not yet..today I'm going to pick up a six pack of some microbrew and chill. Ahh.. and I worry about losing all my friends. Of course, almost all of them drink heavily but I seem to lose control more than anyone else. I weigh a hundred pounds and match my guy friends drink for drink at the bar.. It was fun and it was hell and I envy those who can handle it. I am 32 and cant imagine another year like the last. :new:

:thanks:
          Liath

Comment

Liath, you're lucky in one respect that you are quite a bit younger than many of us, who wait way too long to realize our problem .. anyway, please stick around, post away
            :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

I am not sure that this is going to get easier anytime soon. I havent even made it through a weekend yet. I am afraid of failure. And yet.. I am sick of the guilt and the lies and the apologies..everything that goes along with a serious drinking problem.

Also, I have never tried to quit before. I have tried to cut back but that was just not happening. I havent irreversibly screwed up my life, yet. I'm only on the edge. Time to save myself. Unfortunately, it hurts! :upset:

I appreciate the welcome from you guys more than you can know!

Liath

Comment

Liath;539342 wrote: I always knew that someday I'd have to quit. I have been flirting with disaster..risking everything I have going in life for far too long. I have kept telling myself.. someday but not yet..today I'm going to pick up a six pack of some microbrew and chill. Ahh.. and I worry about losing all my friends. Of course, almost all of them drink heavily but I seem to lose control more than anyone else. I weigh a hundred pounds and match my guy friends drink for drink at the bar.. It was fun and it was hell and I envy those who can handle it. I am 32 and cant imagine another year like the last. :new:

:welcome: :goodjob: on three days. Control....I have no AL off switch. Some of us are just wired differently. I cannot remember ever having *control* with AL. Once I accepted it staying AF was not too hard. Plus, the nasty hangovers last a lot longer than the buzz. Read some posts here and you too may see yourself in many of them. I sure did and the bold text above sums up my old behavior quite nicely. :nutso:

You can stay AF. I feels really good.No more :headbanger:

Comment

Hi Liath, welcome to MWO, have you read the book yet? It's very much recommended to help you make a solid plan on how you want to approach your sobriety. As you know, getting sober isn't for sissies, luckily there is a lot of really great non-judgmental support right here at this website for people who make a plan and work it.

There is a thread under the Goals section in the Monthly Abstinence Thread called Toolbox. I'd recommend you read that, there are some really good suggestions there to get you started. Best of luck to you.
                  vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Hello and Welcome Liath
                    Wow you sound alot like me. 100lb woman keeping up with the Big Boys; used to me an honor, until I took a good look at it and realized that it was just Scary. You have already been given some great suggestions. Don't want to overwhelm you, just welcome you.
                    "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

hello liath!
                      i would suggest reading the book and getting supplements to curb your cravings i take l-glutamine(found it at a health food store) and kudzu that i ordered from this site. i believe they have helped tremendously with nipping cravings in the bud. i take them at noon and later if i'm feeling cravings coming on. it's not easy but it is possible! stay here and chat away, it does help get you over the humps!

hang in there!

Comment

Yes, I am surely lacking the off switch. Once I am out at the bars I will not come home until bar time and have taken many risks.. walking home alone drunk in a college town, random after-bars..etc.. I want to be free of this. It makes me very sad to think that my 'partying days' may be through but as you say, the hangovers are just not worth it.

Yes, I have the book and have read most of it. I have the suppliments. I dont yet have a plan except what I'm going to do to get through the weekend without a drink. (There's a first time for everything, right?) I will check out the toolbox thing.

My anxiety levels are high but this is helping me get through day 3.

Liath

Comment

Wow, its so good to know I'm not the only one. I have all these guy friends that I like to booze it up with..it irritates my man. But he drinks too (not like me of course) and I dont know if we will survive this. He has agreed to not bring beer home for now. For now, I dont have energy for anything but work and resisting the temptation to stop by the liquor store. Please tell me it gets better!
                          Liath

Comment

Hi Liath

I am also new........I had a really really bad weekend last week and decided that enough was enough. I am a similar age to you and have found myself walking home along as well etc etc etc. I have found the support here amazing which has certainly helped me get through this week. I am even going out the with friends tonight for dinner and for the first time I am going to be driving. I actually feel confident that I will be able to enjoy my evening without alcohol and I am also enjoying the thought of waking up feeling good and having my purse with money left it in.

Rember we can't change anything about the past but we can do a great deal about tomorrow. Keep focused and know that you have lots of friends here to support you!

Good on you
                            "You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down." Mary Pickford:h

Comment

I also had a bad weekend. Superbowl and all that. Everyone is big into American football and drinking around here. I was still binging the next day and talking about throwing myself in the lake. The lake is frozen by the way. LOL.

I am having a hard time getting over my past mistakes because there are so many and drinking is a huge part of every one. I will try not to beat myself up though. I feel like this site is really going to help!

Liath

Comment

Working...
                              X