A question about withdrawal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know what makes your hands tremble? Is it low blood sugar or something that causes the shakes? Last time I detoxed was on a vacation and my hands were still trembling when we got home two weeks later. I had to have my wife write for me etc. Now we are going on vacation again and I want to (have to) do it sober and hopefully stay sober after the detox period, but I would really like to curb the trembling hands.

I have some Baclofen on the way, does anyone know if that will help?

I dont have any advise, but wanted to wish you the best of luck!
    Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Pete, I dont know anything about the shaking..i am one of those alcoholics that dont go through withdrawl. I can tell you there are alot of people on Balcofen including me. Im using it today to try to curb cravings but some are using for withdrawls i believe.

I didnt take any today because it made me tierd. I do believe that you need to get used to it. You have titerate up.

I also noticed you didnt get any other replies to your message. I had to look up a specific thread to find you. I think it probably got very busy at the time you posted.

Post another thread or maybe my response will help bring it to light. I know the "im new here help" threads get alot of attention.

Good luck

Comment

Pete,

I am sorry I missed this thread earlier.

The shakes is a big part of withdrawal and has to do with the damage we have done to receptors in our brain. They are getting way too excited without the alcohol.

If there is anyway you can get to a doctor, I would.

It sounds like you are a candidate that can have seizures from withdrawal.

Meds like Librium or Ativan keep that from happening. But a doctor must prescribe.

Every time we detox, the effects get progressively worse.

Please take care and I hope this is your last detox!!

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Im so glad that you are getting solid advice

Comment

Pete, you may want to repost this in general where there is more activity. I know there are a number of people that have detoxed who can hopefully help. I think Cindy has very good advise - medical support would be the best.

Comment

Hi Pete,
              My brothers hands trembled so badly every morning that he could barely light a cigaret. He's been AF for 18 months now.I myself feel shaky and trembling today after a 4 day binge. I use Purata which is a tranquilizer. I want to order Bacclofen. I have Antabuse but cheat on it - have one say Monday morning and then frink by Friday. This obsession and compulsion have me chained . Can I get Baclofen from River without a prescription?
              I really hope this will be your last detox ever.
              make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Pete, how's it going today? Have you tried cutting down before going completely AF? I don't have any experience with Baclofen, but have heard some good things about it. In any event, watch and listen to your body carefully, keep well hydrated, etc.

I'm not sure about the other meds out there, but I have heard that Ativan takes the edge off too, and you can get a presc. for that at a walk-in clinic easily (at least here in Canada) .. just tell them you want it for fear of flying .. lots of people take it for flying.

Good luck!
                AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

Thanks for all the help everyone. I have detoxed lots of times and yeah, sometimes it is pretty bad- no seizures though. I think I can moderate down a little first (I am taking Naltrexone which helps with that). I'll slowly titrate up on the Baclofen at the same time and then finally stop. Like I said, it was two weeks of shaking last time and it didn't stop by the time I went back to drinking. I think I will hit the vitamin supplements this time- I didn't do that last time.

So unless the Baclofen and vitamins work, it sounds like I'm stuck with the shakes huh? I tried Campral a while back and I'm not taking it now. I still have it though. Does anyone think that might help? I don't want to take everything at once- there could be nasty interactions. I'm just trying to make a game plan before I proceed.

On a lighter note, I didn't drink to terribly much last night. I'll try to stay at that level today and reduce it tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Pete,

My daughter's shakes lasted for weeks.

They are gone now, though.

Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Sounds like you have a plan in place. Good job on the vitamins - they can only help. I checked Campral + Naltrexone + Baclofen in an online drug interaction checker (if you google, there are several), and it came up as "no interactions found".... You could always call a pharmacy and ask a pharmicist too.

Comment

That's great info guys. I'm doing the Sinclaire method now (just started week four) so it sounds like I can safely start on the Bac while still taking Nal and drinking a bit. Then when I stop drinking, I will stop taking Nal and after a few sober days, start on the Bac/ Campral for this ten day period. That time will be enforced AF so hopefully the meds/ vitamins take the edge off. If they take it off enough and I can stay AF, I will. If I can't I will always take Naltrexone before I drink.

Thanks again. I guess I have a plan.

Comment

You definitely have a plan there - Yey! .... Looking forward to hearing about your progress!

Comment

Pete, doctors care is the very best route especially where bad withdrawals are expected, and they may let you detox at home with some librium or valium.

from what I understand the trembling is from an overabundance of the neurotransmitter glutamate (not the same thing as glutamine) which normally is produced by our bodies to counteract the effect of alcohol. when the alcohol is gone the high levels of glutamate remain for quite some time giving us a ton of problems, (shakes anxiety etc).

one this is for sure: your body is critically low on the following nutrients:

Vit C (used heavily as your body detoxes)
                            Vit B1-thiamin (low levels caused by heavy drinking leads to brain damage)
                            Magnesium (for nerve health)

in addition to your multi vitamin I'd be taking large doses of the above. the worse side effects will be to give you the runs.

keep us up to speed on how you're doing, and congrats on fighting for a better 'you'.
                            nosce te ipsum
                            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Pete
                              I have just come through a recent detox, but it sounds like you've been there, done that, and are getting through it with some meds. Such good info above - personally, I think the supplements are essential, and I've got on board with them this time around (withdrawal this time, I had all the tremors, increased heart rate etc).

Also, pulled this bit from one of the alc withdrawal docs that RJ posted in this area of the forum.

"If the alcohol is withdrawn suddenly, the brain is like an accelerated vehicle that has lost its brakes. Not surprisingly, most symptoms of withdrawal are symptoms that occur when the brain is overstimulated."

This really spoke to me at the time because that revved up feeling was so predominant.
                              And I think Cindi's right, the detox's get worse over time - I've done 6 now- and really determined & incredibly hopeful this time. There really is only so long we can keep on doing this.

Hope you're traveling well, and good luck. Hope you check in here as often as you can to let us know how you're doing x
                              KAYLA

Current attitude towards addiction: Why ask why? Just accept that it is, and go from there ...

Comment

Working...
                              X