Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pregnant and worried i have damaged my baby!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this is my first post and I'm not sure if I came to the right place but I'm desperate for someone to relate to or be able to answer my question. So I'm 24 years old and I just found out I'm pregnant like 20 hrs ago. I believe I'm 3-5 weeks pregnant. Before I found out, I have been drinking like crazy, I would say 4 or 5 days a week and it would be at least 10 beers and like 5,6,7 shots. To make matters worse, I've been smoking weed everyday and I smoked cigarettes too (like a pack every two days). I'm embarrassed to be saying all of this but I wanted some advice or something. I'm not going to be drinking or smoking now that I know but I'm so worried I did some horrible damage to my baby. Has anyone ever gone through this or something?

STOP WHAT YOUR DOING KNOW !! Chances are that you haven't hurt your fedus . ( They're pretty durable at that age.) The longer you keep up this behavior thier will be damage. Good luck......and we can help here. Lot's of exprience here. IAD
    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
    Dr. Seuss

Comment

Welcome Manda,
      I am so pleased you found us -- you are in the right place.
      I can only imagine how frightened and scared you must feel right now. Stay close, there is lots of support here.
      Honestly I don't have the answers to your questions, I would suggest you speak to your GP if possible.
      Strength to you!!
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hi Manda,
        I agree with IAD. Stop immediately, the chances are you haven't hurt the baby. Mother nature is wonderfully defensive - you will most probably find yourself feeling totally nauseated by the smell of alcohol within a week or so - that is what happened to me. Just smelling my husband's beer made me retch - and a week before my 6 week positive test I was still drinking with him..I have mentioned it before in a post - my children all turned out totally normal.
        Please use this break nature is giving you to break away totally from alcohol, forever.
        Love from Jessie
        make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Welcome Manda
          The baby is still quite young. Take care of yourself from now on. See your doctor right away and tell him/her the TRUTH. They can help you better with the effects than we can.
          This must be such a hard time for you right now. Frightened and yet happy all at once.
          We are here to offer you all the support and love you need right now.
          Congratulations on the new baby. Keep in touch.
          Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
          If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
          November 2, 2012

Comment

MANDA!

I just happen to see your post this morning.... Please let me explain my circumstances and how they would relate to yours.

I was abusing drugs and alcohol pretty heavily when I found out I was pregnant. I was much much farther along than you are, I was at almost 5 months (yes it actually does happen!)

I was so scared that I had hurt my baby as well! As soon as I found out, I stopped drinking and started taking care of myself.

To make a long story short, I delivered a BIG bouncing beautiful baby boy. Almost 9 pounds. Healthy, Healthy, Healthy!

Chances are your baby will be fine. Just start taking care of yourself NOW.

Oh and go see your doctor right away!

Best of luck to you and your Baby!
            I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Manda,
              I know how you feel. 8 years ago, when I found out I was pregnent, I was terrified, because I drank a bottle of wine every day. I told my doctor and he said: there is no damage at this stage.I was scared the whole pregnency ( I did not drink when I was pregnent ) Today, I have a 7 year old son who is super smart ( gifted and talented program in school). Just stop drinking and your child will be o.k.

Comment

I've known lots of people who drank without realizing they were pregnant, and their babies were just fine. But, as others have said, you have to stop all of the bad stuff right NOW. When you say 3-5 weeks pregnant, do you mean 3-5 weeks since your last period? Or 3-5 weeks since you conceived? (which would have been about two weeks after your last period, if you're regular that is). Have you been to see your doctor yet? He/she may be able to reassure you a little.

Any amount of drinking, any time, can affect a fetus ... but chances are you're OK if you stop the drinking/smoking and look after yourself, see the doctor, etc. Google for some "stories" of your type of situation. You might find some reassurances there, too.

Best of luck with everything! .... Oh, and congratulations on your pregnancy!
                AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

Thank u guys soo sooo much, all of this is really putting my worries a little at ease! I haven't seen a doctor yet. I just took a home pregnancy test yesterday. I'm 3-5 weeks concieved I believe/ a week late on my period. Me and the babys dad are going to the doctor this week and I am definitely going to tell her the truth to see what she says. Again, thank u all soooo much for all the support. This is a great website!

Comment

Hi

For what it is worth, neither of my babies were planned and i was drinking like a fish before i knew i was pregnant. to be honest, i did not give up totally while pregnant but did have a couple of glasses of wine a week, like you i was terrified about my drinking at the start and remember confiding in the midwife on the morning of the birth of my son and what she said was that everything would be fine and that a hell of alot of nurses she knew did not give up drink totally while pregnant...but you did say that you can and you will give up drinking during the pregnancy and i think that is DEFINATELY the best option. As IAD said and the midwife also said to me, they are pretty resiliant and your bodies priority now is your baby and will therefore have been protecting it from the first moment. best of luck to you and try not to worry.

Comment

Hi Manda - you don't say, but I'm wondering... is the father (husband/bf - no clue, sorry!) involved in your pregnancy?

I hope so!
                      Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Hi there,

I think you can take it from here forward and do the best you can. Good for you for becoming aware of the issues now and not later. For my 2 pesos, here are a few ideas:
                        - Get some prenatal vitamins asap. They are really good for you, and good for the baby. There are things the fetus needs and the prenatals help a lot. Some are by prescription, but I think there are some over the counter ones at the pharmacy.
                        - Take extra folic acid - like an extra 1mg/day for now. Extra folic acid helps diminish negative impacts of AL, and also lower the risk of certain birth defects.
                        - Drink 2 litres of water a day. Carry a huge bottle around with you all the time and keep sipping.

Good luck,
                        Tulipe
                        Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
                        AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Working...
                        X