Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Justin's Campral Notes

Hello everyone,

I've been on Campral since May 15, 2009. I'm starting this thread as a way to track my progress.

I'm currently taking the 333mg dosage twice, three times daily. I do believe it helps with cravings. My thoughts of drinking and the urge to do so have been drastically reduced. As I have brought up in other threads, I'm still trying to cope with the psychological aspects of quitting. There are times I find myself wanting to drink just because that is what I "used to do" in certain circumstances. My biggest hurdle thus far has been staying sober while my wife is out of town. That very predicament landed me in trouble and I relapsed on June 20th.

So far, my greatest achievement has been a 35 day alcohol free binge. That is the longest I have been clean in years. Unfortunately, I had to restart the count on June 21st, so here I am, trying again.

I have been clean for 8 days. If I go to bed sober tonight that will make 9. Here's hoping for day 9...

Justin's Campral Notes

Justin, that is really great news Way to go!!! Im also taking campral along with baclofen. The campral i think also has benefits on the psychological front. Something about the chemical component. Anyway keep up the great work.

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

withdrawn

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

Campral

Hi Justin!

I have also just started taking campral, same dose as you. It's admazing that the desperate craving just vanishes with taking this medication. I think I will still have to deal with the habit though.

Wishing you lots of luck.:goodjob:
        Becky

One crack at life

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

Hi Justin,
          Thanks for starting this thread. I think you are doing great to have had only one bender in all this time. I've found that my problem is when I don't take the campral I get into trouble. Like yesterday. Ugh. I'll follow your example because I'm not doing as well as I started.
          - Tulipe
          Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
          AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

How is everyone?

Hi Justin,

Campral worked well yesterday. Took one about 2pm when I started thinking it would be nice to have a drink tonight. Not planning one now.

How is everyone?
            Becky

One crack at life

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

How is everyone? Still hanging in there I hope. Another sober night for me, so it's been 9 days.

I had some thoughts about drinking yesterday. Every now and again it's a reoccurring fleeting thought of "it'll be okay, you can have a couple drinks and not tell anyone!" I can usually ignore/dismiss these thoughts. My wife has been home a lot this week thankfully. She knows I'm trying to quit and I know I can't drink around her so I think that helps too.

I try my best to space out the dosages of the medication so I'm always covered. My schedule is like this:

7:00am (before work) - 2 pills @ 333 mgs each
              2:00pm (lunch break) - 2 pills
              10:00pm (before bed) - 2 pills

It's not evenly spaced out, but it's close enough, and the best I could do with my sleep schedule. The weekends are more haphazard since we don't have work and tend to sleep in.

I have found that if I miss a dose, the cravings do seem to return, unfortunately. I have a feeling I will be on the medication for awhile. The doctor said a minimum of 6 months to a year, but longer if need be. I really don't mind though. I'm willing to do whatever I need to do to stay sober.

Tulipe, don't beat yourself up. I still find myself wanting the occasional drink while on Campral. It's tough because there is a psychological element to my addiction that I struggle with at times. It won the battle on my last relapse. It won't win the war though. I won't let it.

Has anyone experienced any side effects from Campral yet? Just curious.

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

Justin,

I could not take it due to severe diarrhea. However, I am a gastric-bypass patient so I am sure that made the intestinal side effects worse.

I am very happy to hear of the successes from Campral here.

One thing it will do for you if you stay abstinent is greatly reduce the PAWS period. (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) that can last up to 18 months. Your brain chemistry will get back to normal much faster than without Campral.

Keep on trucking.

Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

How is everyone this morning?

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

Justin,

I am here and sober.

Happy to watch your progress. Anytime anyone of us can get some serious AF time under our belts, it helps all of us.

Keep taking the Campral and add some serious work on the mental aspect and you will do great and feel wonderful in the process.

Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

Hi there,
                      How are you doing, Justin and Cindi? I was ok yesterday - AF even though had a night on my own in London. Ordered a lemonade with my green thai curry and the lemonade had some ginger in it and it was excellent. Still less calories having 1 lemonade than 5 glasses of wine.
                      I haven't had any side effects of the campies, have you?
                      Just feeling a little crabby, not sure why,
                      Tulipe
                      Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
                      AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

Tulipe,

Your emotions will be all over the place for a while. Just accept it. Hard to do, I know but knowing that will happen makes it a lot easier to manage.

Great on staying AF!!

Cindi

ps I am doing great.
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

Hey Cindi,
                          thanks for the support but I cheated on Monday in a big way. Glad you are going well, by the way.
                          I think I should change my mood to BLAH!!!
                          AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

Tulipe - Way to go on the lemonade! :goodjob: I don't know if you used to drink alone or in the company of others. I typically drank by myself so I would have had a tough time had I been in your shoes last night.

I have been trying to find new non-alcoholic drinks to replace my old ones. I had read a thread on the forum about someone drinking lemon juice and the possibility that it may have some anti-craving effects(?) I tried it. I was a little put off by the taste at first, but I think I could get used to it. I've also been drinking sweet tea (yeah, total opposite end of the spectrum taste-wise). My doctor said I need to cut down on my soda intake because I have bad acid reflux. It's been tough trying to limit two huge vices at once and I've still been drinking soda like crazy. Mostly just trying to moderate there.

The only side effect I have experienced since going on Campral is occasional diarrhea. The doctor said that it could be my body cleansing itself of toxins. He didn't seem to think it was directly related to the Campral, but I'm not so sure. I know that can be one of the side effects. Cindi mentioned that as well. I don't think it's bad enough in my case that it warrants going off of the meds.

I do have the occasional bout of depression. However, I think it is unrelated to the Campral and possibly a manifestation of post acute withdrawal syndrome. I did some reading up on it yesterday and I have a lot of the symptoms. I have a followup with my doc tomorrow and may mention it to him. I'm afraid he may just recommend an anti-depressant. Truthfully, I think I would rather stick it out. I have been on anti-depressants before and they really screwed with me.

Becky, you still with us?

OT - I'm pissed at DrinkTracker. The month changed before I could put in a zero for yesterday's drink count. Bummer. If anyone knows a way to change it retroactively, that would be great.

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

Hi there,
                              DrinkTracker made me mad too - same issue - switched months before I got to put in the proud 0.
                              It didn't take long for me to get used to the lemon juice - now my kids are drinking it too. My 9 year old says it calms her down. If she only knew.
                              Being 'out' funnily enough is not like being alone, so I am fine with not drinking when out, even alone. It's when I'm alone that I drink. Today was hard because DH is away, but Bill's dissertation on liver tests held me back.
                              Jus - how serious are your depressions? If short term and not so bad, maybe is it just PAWS. Do you think you can wait it out? I know I feel fat, irritable and rather bitchy today.
                              - T
                              AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X