Baclofen and running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen and running

For many years I did ultra distance running. I was not very fast, but I was passionate and would run long, long distances every week.

For a number of years I would enter and complete one of South Africa's toughest ultra marathons, the Comrades marathon. It is about 90kms long and it has to be completed in 12 hours. During my training it was not unusual to spend the weekend running a marathon, or 2 half marathons. If injured, I would get up almost every morning for a spinning class or an hour of swimming.

I eventually stopped running due to some serious back injuries and osteoporosis.

I realise now, that this was the start of my addiction getting out of control.

When I ran these long distances, I did not always enjoy the effects of alcohol. I would have a beer after a race, but it gave me the same fuzzy feeling that I get now if I drink on bac. After a race, I would drive home, relax in a hot bath and drink a beer. Within half an hour I would need to sleep and would later wake up with a beer headache. One beer would not lead to two, lead to three, lead to ...... it was more than enough.

I would also self medicate my anxiety with running. The minute I had a dead line, or an important exam, I would enter a marathon. This would tie me down to a crazy training schedule. I would run, minumun of 50 kilometres a week for many weeks. This, despite injuries.

I have run through pheumonia, freezing temperatures, run in the pitch dark, all alone.. day after day after day. I have run so injured that I have needed constant painkillers. I never understood my running, other than it changed my day.

There is no doubt that running lifted my mood, calmed my anxiety and enhanced my creativity. My work collegues would joke about asking me to go for a run if a problem needed some lateral input. I would invariably come back with a number of possibilities out of the box.

For me running was meditation. Sometimes I would run for many kilometres, arrive home and realise that I could not remember one iota of my route. My mind had been so inward focused that I was one with my body.

I also revelled in the runners high. I would sometimes feel as though I was flowing, mind, body, soul, emotion were one... I floated.

Baclofen is giving me the relaxed body experience that I got from running. I can feel my muscles relax in the same way as they would after a long run.... or a glass or ten of wine. I am also not feeling the strong pull to drink.

It is not to say that I did not get drunk. I have many a memory of a race with a red wine tummy, but it was not the norm. I also felt drunk a lot quicker. I know that runners have very addictive tendencies. It was often linked to personality. I now think not... it is linked to anxiety and a missing ingredient in the brain.

As far as personality goes, I am not a tense, obsessive, anal person. I am, in most things, easy going and very generous. I laugh easily and do not bear grudges. Yet when it comes to alcohol, the wheels just fall off.

Baclofen and running

The post fascinates me Veritas. And I'm keeping close track of your Baclofen progress. Do you still run? I wish I could get rid of my inherent laziness as well as AL. Lol.
    make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Baclofen and running

I'm impressed with your running willpower. I have never managed to do any sports seriously. In fact, I have never managed to do any sports at all... unless you call gardening a sport

But I do know people who run or cycle or do other continuous sports obsessively, and they have described to me the feeling of euphoria they get... which is definitely related to all these neurological, physical aspects we have been discussing.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Baclofen and running

Watching the Comrades on the side of the road (again) this year, I decided that in 3 years time I would run Comrades to honour my father who has run 23 and has been involved for a further 20 years. It has been his dream that one of his kids run it but ofcourse I've always turned my nose up at it because training would interfere with my heavy drinking.... not to mention the pack of cigs I smoked a day.

My most immediate goal is to do the Spar ladies 10km in a couple of weeks time and then I'll take it from there.
        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Baclofen and running

Good luck on your race DeeBee! Very interesting post Veritas. Years ago running is what rid me of bulimia. If only I had kept it up!

Comment

Baclofen and running

hey veritas, that fuzzY feeling your talking about I've been feeling it to but was thinking it was bc I've been drinking so much so didn't feel as I usually do drinking, basically more happy-euphoric. Guess the bac takes away from it but I'm at the point where I can't care, just gotta end this hell.I'm on 4o mg so far hasn't helped yet.

Comment

Baclofen and running

Me, keep it up, keep trying.

Deebee, good luck with your race. Its a wonderful start. I have done many Spar ladies races and I just love the atmosphere.

I am not running at the moment, mainly due to past injuries, but I feel the pull to run again. I think, what I realise more and more is how our compulsions are linked to a missing brain ingredient and not personality.

Comment

Baclofen and running

yup veritas, it has begun to work a bit!:h

Comment

Baclofen and running

I am reading Dr A's book. He talks of the physical restlessness he noted in alcoholics. I was on a TV panel recently. My daughter watched it and said afterwards, "you were doing that foot tapping thing you always do".

I have always felt anxiety in my body, not realising that this is not the norm for most people. Since the bac has kicked in, I have noted less restlessness, but not less energy. I love what it is doing for my mind. I would never have considered myself to have problems with obssesive thoughts, but I am noticing that negative self doubt has become as examinable as my alcoholic cravings. I can take my thoughts out of this negative cycle and hold them up to scrutiny.

Comment

Working...
                  X