Lostboy- Baclofen for a big man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the time of joining this forum i was in a very bad place as I have lost my job, and my marriage is hanging in the balance. Reading the posts on Baclofen gave me hope and my order arrived 4 weeks ago.
    I was initially concerned, as I am not doing this with medical supervision, that my size would mean I would have to go to very high levels as I am over 6ft (1.9m) and weigh 18 stone 7 ( 262lbs ,119kg ) I had also been on Prozac ,for a considerable time, for depression. I have previously tried topa but it made my depression worse so I stopped.

I initially did not feel any side effects from the baclofen, was continuing to drink and had no reduction in craving. I tirated up and at 60mg started to feel tired , my body ached and my nose was blocked. I will list these in the seperate thread on side effects. At this level I also had a very nasty experience while drinking, as I became very spaced out ,could not move properly or talk properly, it was like I had had a stroke.

At this point I decided to go AF and I uppped my level to 70mg. For the first two nights I woke up in a sweat ,and I was very hungry but I do not know if this was due to the higher level or my body was detoxing.While tirating up on the baclofen I also started to tirate down on my Prozac.

I have now been alcohol free for 2 weeks, and there have been several key events where I have been able to measure my progress . Both weekends I have attended social events where previously I could not have even considered not having a few drinks ! I have also recently started to play football again on a Wednesday night as I am trying to replace the 5 - 6pm drinking with more positive activities to try and break the habit. When I first started 4 weeks ago the game started at 7pm so I had already had some vodka before I played. For the past few weeks I not only did not have any vodka before but when we went for a drink after the match I had 2 pints of orange juice. This is unheard of from me and my friend was very mistified but more importantly my wife was impressed.

I am now on 100mg a day 30 ,30, 40 and felt very tired after taking the first 40mg. However I now have to consciously make myself go to bed, which is in contrast to passing out on the sofa when I was drinking. Apart from that I feel great on so many levels. I feel alive, motivated , positive ,happy ,exited, healthy, fresh and proud all at the same time !! I have also stopped taking Prozac and do not feel depressed.

Best of luck to all the bigger people who are currently sharing my initial concerns.Keep going with the Baclofen and I am sure you will reach your goal .

Lostboy,

I am still amazed at my progress on Baclofen, too. It is hard to believe, I know.

I am very happy for you and thank you for sharing your success. All who post their experiences, good or bad, are helping people make intelligent choices on their decisions of how to beat this addiction.

Keep us up-to-date, if you can. These threads are so helpful.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Lostboy, what a lovely story. Well done and long may it continue.

I can relate to many of your side effects. For me the big thing is not to loose hope, but continue titrating up much more slowly.

Comment

Excellent news - I'm very happy for you!

Are your cravings completely gone, or are you still struggling a bit? If there's a bit of a struggle, and your side effects eventually subside, you might consider titrating up a little more until you get to that magic point. It sounds like you are at a good place for the time being, though.

I'm also very glad to hear that you didn't have to titrate up as high as you originally thought. Although it would make sense that bigger people would need bigger doses, I have never heard of anyone having to go over 300mg because of their size, and even going over 200mg seems to be pretty uncommon.

Comment

Congrats! Another wonderful tale of inspiration of baclofen success. I am glad to share in reading your progress!

Comment

Many thanks for all your kind comments they mean so much to me as you were the guys I looked up to when I started on this adventure.

If things were not going well enough I have some more good news ! As stated, for me baclofen is only part of the programme as I believe it is important to change bad habits and replace them with good habits and start exercising as well .

I have been very busy the last week to 10 days so have not done as much exercise as I wanted so I have not lost as much weight as I had wanted only 3 kg. However I am so motivated at present this will not detract me from my goal and my healthy living has paid off in other areas. Before going on this programme I had high blood pressure 142 over 100 and my doc wanted to put me on medication . I declined and today my blood pressure has dropped to 121 over 87 which is fantastic.

I also had used to have very red gums which bled when I cleaned my teeth and sometimes just on their own. I know this can be a symtom of alcohol abuse but also for me is another indicator of my progress . My gums are now a healthy pale pink and do not bleed.

I am amazed at the change in my mental and physical well being however I am not geting too carried away though . Last week I played golf, which I find very frustrating at the best of times, as I get easily wound up. For the first two holes I felt relaxed and hit everthing really well and I thought this must be down to the Baclofen !! However shortly afterwards my game went back to the usual script of a series of disasters intersperced with the odd minor miracle. I have not given up hope though and will tirate up and will hopefully see you at the Open next year ! :happy:

LOSTBOY

Comment

Lostboy,

My BP went down to normal when I quit, too. I am glad I also declined meds because imagine what it would be like if you quit and were taking BP meds. :egad:

As for the open... :H:H

Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Zenstyle;671679 wrote: Lostboy... Bill.P. had high blood pressure too and was on meds for it. He stopped taking the meds and is right as rain now.

As for the golf, I feel your pain. Now I'm wondering if my game will improve on Baclofen. What a bloody fantastic side effect THAT would be! :H
                Just registered www.baclofenhelpsyouwinatgolf.com . I am a bit new to the whole shill internet strategy and felt the name was a bit long to be catchy .. however I have just got my first customer ... anyone heard of Tom Watson ??

Keep Pushing

Lostboy :happy:

Comment

Off on Holiday on Sunday for 2 weeks to the same place we went last year. I remember clearly having to make up excuses last year to take our youngest for a walk in the push chair so that I could pick up vodka from the local shop !! I will not be doing that this year. What a relief as I will not have to live a lie !

Next week my mate and his family are joining us. He is a big drinker and I am slightly apprehensive. I will be just short of my 30 day AF so may try moderation however in my heart I do not want to risk it. This could be a real test for me, I will keep you updated.

LOSTBOY

PS Prior to Baclofen trial I had high blood pressure 142 over 100 and very red gums which bled. Gums now pale pink and do not bleed and just had blood pressure taken and is 121 over 87 .. miracle !!

Comment

Lostboy;671889 wrote: Just registered www.baclofenhelpsyouwinatgolf.com . I am a bit new to the whole shill internet strategy and felt the name was a bit long to be catchy .. however I have just got my first customer ... anyone heard of Tom Watson ??

Keep Pushing

Lostboy :happy:
                    LMAO Lostboy!

Well done on your wonderful success so far.
                    I am not taking Bac myself but am very interested in reading all the updates here. Thanks for sharing your story.
                    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

I am currently on 120mg a day 40 , 40 , 40 and today am going to 140mg , 40, 50 , 50. Had the first 50 an hour ago , feel a bit disorientated and a bit spaced but not too bad. Aim to tirate up aggresively over the next 7 days and any sleepy side effects can be slept off by the pool on hols ...kids willing !

This should put be in a strong position when my mates family arrive next week and make me stronger to resist falling by the wayside with my old drinking buddy.

Only concern is that I will be taking 180 tablets om hols, is there any issue with taking this much drugs on a plane.. will I get stopped when my hand luggage is checked. Any thoughts or possible alibi's if I get questioned. I would be mightely hacked of if my progress got stopped on a technicality !!

Keep Pushing

LOSTBOY

Comment

LostBoy,

Be careful on titrating up too fast, it really hammered me when I did that in terms of messed up sleep, etc.

I know, desperate times call for desperate measures but care must be taken.

I have flown multiple times without any issue on the Baclofen but if they do confiscate it, explain that it can cause you to have seizures, etc.

It sure would be great if all of us could do this with a doctor's script, then things like this wouldn't be a worry.

Good luck on the holiday and have fun.

Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Zenstyle;674839 wrote: Lostboy... not just mightily pissed off if your progress got stopped... You would be in trouble coming off that amount of Baclofen cold turkey.

I agree with what Cindi said about titrating too fast but you may be able to handle it. Like Cindi, I had to take it slow. If you start getting side effects you can always back off a bit.

The other thing is... if you had a bad reaction to drinking on Bac at 60mg/daily I don't know that you should even think about it at 140+mg/daily whilst you're still titrating...

Gosh, I sound like doom and gloom! Sorry! lol...
                          Zen You know I admire you greatly, and consider your comments to be nuggets of gold, and usally motivational to our forum members.

However I am left feeling empty and more worried by your comments above. I am an educated person, do you not realise I am worried that if my tablets are taken there is a very strong poossiblity I may suffer life threatening side effects such as seizures. !

I know there are only a handful of people that have got to my level in this experiment , and i was just looking for some advise not some lecture on the bleeding obvious !!

Sorry for being a little pissed off, but each one of us will come across issues that no one else has experiences and we should learn and grow from the experience so that those that follow do not have to worry about the life decisions we have to take without medical support.

I feel privaledged to be a guinee pig if it can help numerors people that folow in or path. However we should no loose focus on the swimming pool analagy, " always remember when you have reached the deep end what it was like to be just entering the shallow end .

Keep pushing

LOSTBOY

Comment

Zen You do not have to appoligise to me and never worry about being mother henish, if it was not for your caring an commitment many of of us would not have the motivation to push on .

I have progressed so much from when we first had our PMs and the thought of that being undone by some jobsworth at the airport who does not know the enorimity of what we are doing and the positive implication for society just annoyed me.

That coupled with the fact that my children had been asking me every 5 minutes throughout the day how ,long till we were on holiday it was enough to break the strongest will. I am sure it is the same technique they use in Guantanimo Bay !!

Anyway I followed your advise and stashed my drugs in both my hand lugage and suitcase however the airport sucurity did not even question it .

However that aside the good news continues as I went out tonight and had a beer and a couple of glasses of wine with the meal but felt no compulsion to carry on drinking later on . It is early days but I may be having success with moderation. I will keep you posted..l

Sorrry about snapping at you but you know the old saying " you always hurt the ones you love "

Keep pushing

LOSTBOY :l

Comment

Zen You do not have to appoligise to me and never worry about being mother henish, if it was not for your caring an commitment many of of us would not have the motivation to push on .

I have progressed so much from when we first had our PMs and the thought of that being undone by some jobsworth at the airport who does not know the enorimity of what we are doing and the positive implication for society just annoyed me.

That coupled with the fact that my children had been asking me every 5 minutes throughout the day, how long till we were on holiday it was enough to break the strongest will. I am sure it is the same technique they use in Guantanimo Bay !!

Anyway I followed your advise and stashed my drugs in both my hand lugage and suitcase however the airport sucurity did not even question it .

However that aside the good news continues as I went out tonight and had a beer and a couple of glasses of wine with the meal but felt no compulsion to carry on drinking later on . It is early days but I may be having success with moderation. I will keep you posted

Sorrry about snapping at you but you know the old saying " you always hurt the ones you love "

Keep pushing

LOSTBOY :l

Comment

Working...
                              X