Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antabuse ( disulfiram ) and Baclofen?

Hi all,

I am returning with another question. Some time ago I have asked if topamax can be taken along with baclofen in various quantites, and I have received some interesting answers.

My new question is: Disulfiram tablets + baclofen. I am thinking of this scenarion as the disulfiram is for adverse effect if drinking on it ( in this way the alcohool in avoided, force avoided ) and baclofen is relaxing and prolonge the abstinence period and reduce the craving for drinking.In this way you are forced not to drink but on the other hand baclofen is having it's effect to not to think of alcohol.

What do you think, has anyone tried this? From the post I havent seen this scenario.
    If someone tried please post in detail ( qty, period, side effects)

Thank you.

When I first started on baclofen, I took ante buse. I was really wanting "not to drink" until the drug settled. I did decide to "test" the baclofen with disasterous results once the ante buse was out of my system. That was because of titrating the baclofen too fast though.

I only took one dose of ante buse. I felt that the baclofen reduced my cravings to such an extent that I did not need ante buse anymore.

I do not think there should be a problem. I hope that, like me, you will need only a reasonably short time to feel the effects of baclofen.

I am still getting mild cravings, but they are realy minimal compared to a few weeks ago. I have been af for 13 days now. I was af for 8 days before I tested bac. Most days I have had brief cravings at about 4 pm. Some days I hardly register it anymore.

Comment

Veri, how long after taking the disulfiram was it to when you had your horrible experience?
      Click here for info about ordering baclofen online.

Comment

Nine days. I have tried drinking on ante buse before. I would light up like a christmas light... my legs would go fuzzy, my heart would beat through my chest, my head would explode. My bad reaction to bac was not like that at all. It really was a matter of drinking while the bac was still settling. I had another similar reaction to bac a couple of days later without drinking.

After my second reaction I titrated downand started over again. I am now back to 40mgs and very comfortable. The cravings are there, but so minimal that I am seriously considering staying at this level.

Comment

Just to echo what Veritas has stated.

Awhile back, I put myself on antabuse following an inpatient rehab. Walking on pink clouds while in inpatient, I decided the best way to keep me honest and put up a block, a barrier to me drinking again. I would take baclofen and I would stop by the outpatient clinic to also keep me honest and have them watch me take it. I couldnt trust myself and have them record it.
          Anyways, that lasted a few months before I moved

I am not a big fan of antabuse because I cant control cravings. Many can't and they drink on it. Which can have dire effects on the organs of the body.
          Antabuse is aversive therapy. Meaning it makes it so unpleasurable and sick, your body thinks it is a poison and will kill you.
          Obvliously this will have some impact on the reward center of the brain. But unfortunately it works by lengthening the processing time of a very toxic byproduct of metabolism of alcohol, if my memory serves me it is acetylaldehyde. Well I remember tis an aldehyde. Formaldehyde is what they preserve tissue in a lab. Not compatible with biological life. Thats why when you see a frog in a jar or a brain or whatever, its in formaldehyde to prevent mold growth etc...
          Not sure they still use it as it is cancer causing.

Well this very dangerous substance, instead of quickly metabolized into a less toxic computnd. That stage of processing is lengthened. And your body recognizes it as a poison and gets sick.

We know that it also kilss organ cells in the process. Heart tissue I know specifically does and causes irregular heart rhythims. It can happen from a binge of alcohol. Can cause atrial fibrillation (holdiay heart) but it can alos cause ventricular fibrillation. VERY RARE!
          But its nasty stuff.

And it really is just aversive therapy. Its like trying to get someone to quit smoking by locking them in a telephone booth and having them chain smoke 3 packs a scigarettes.
          Baclofen works on a completely different set of pathways in the body. They do not complement each other biologically, they may do so psychologically. But only for a short period of time and not necessary. Baclofen will work by itself. There are some people that dont quit out of habit. It may be useful psychologically for them. An extra layer of protection for them.

I would flash myself back to when I left inpatient to go to outpatient and how motivated I was and I would have probably thought of the antabuse to "protect" my clean time. I had so much anxiety about leaving rehab that Id just go start drinking again. Afterall, I ddi that before that inpatient visit.

So it COULD play a specific role and I think now that I recall the way I was leaving my last, we last formal inpatient. I was later in psych units for alcohol induced depression qualified as a danger to myself.
          If a person was able to funciton though. I dont think it necessary to take on a new medication. Its more of a jedi mind trick than anything. Cravings are what cause relapse, baclofen prevents that.

Comment

Disulfiram order, how to see to real medication?

Hi all and thank you for your answers.

I have order from a site the disulfiram generic named chronol.

Here is a link, like this is packed:

Buy CHRONOL - Generic Antabuse (4 TABLETS):: Yartook.com (Drugstore online)

Is this good ?

Comment

IV,

Have you ordered this already? It looks dodgy to me. The generic name of Antabuse is disulfiram, not chronol. Try googling chronol - nothing comes up apart from this site. This site has no phone number or address. I wouldn't order from this site, but it's up to you of course.
              sigpic
              AF since December 22nd 2008
              Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

IV, since it appears you've already ordered, this very well may be the real thing. Chronol does appear to be disulfiram. Here's a link to a site with a couple of hits for chronol.

Comment

Hi thanks for your reply,

So it's real thing then. It's just a particular for the generic name containing disulfiram.

Thanks.

Comment

IVl10855;677252 wrote: Hi thanks for your reply,

So it's real thing then. It's just a particular for the generic name containing disulfiram.

Thanks.
                    Whether it's the real thing or not, you'll have to wait and see... this was just to put you mind at ease after reading Marshy's reply. From the site I found, it seems that chronol is indeed disulfiram. Whether the pharmacy you ordered from supplies the real deal is always a question until you or someone else has confirmed it.

Comment

I wouldn't suggest drinking on it to find out if it's real, though. :confusedmonkey:

Comment

Working...
                      X