X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the brain looks like while craving versus on Baclofen

xx

That really is fascinating BillP. thank you for sharing.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Yeah that crazy. I wish they had said what dosage the patients were on. I'd also like to see the brain activity of a non-addict. Would it be non-existent? Maybe if the Bac subjects dose up for longer than 7 days, there would be no "lights" at all...

Comment

At least it sounds like there is some research going on. So thats a good thing.
        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

That's crazy and interesting billy. Thanks for all your info! So I posted a question concerning if I accidentally forgot and took say 70 mg if I had been taking 100mg daily, would I get reactions/side effects?

Comment

me1455;676517 wrote: That's crazy and interesting billy. Thanks for all your info! So I posted a question concerning if I accidentally forgot and took say 70 mg if I had been taking 100mg daily, would I get reactions/side effects?
            no, you would only risk a fairly rare reaction with abrupt cessation. You essentially would go through the dt's upon abrupt cesssation, thats the delirium tremens.

Going off medications is easy enough, cut your dose in half for 10-14 days, then cut it in half again for another 10-14 days and maybe one more time depending on the dose.
            Dropping from 100 to 70mg would not do anything. You could safely drop from 100 to 50mg to titrate off.
            What happens is that it prevents rebound issues. Like if someone was to be on a betablocker which blocks adrenaline. It has to be titrated b/c when you biologically damp down a system. The body will naturally try to outsmart it. In the cases of betablockers it will increase overall systemic adrenaline.
            Adrenaline is the key that turns on the fight or flight response. Its located in the heart, brain, uterus, intestines, lungs etc....
            Its like a key and the receptors are like little locks and the adrenaline turn the key. The receptors fit the adrenaline key and they are chemically attracted to come in contact. Then the process happens. A betablocker sits over the lock and prevnets the key from turning it.
            When you remove the betablocker. All of a sudden all the locks in the body are open and become over activated. This can cause rebound tachycardia and other things associated it with it.
            To prevent that, you slowly open up the amount of locks that the keys can turn. The natural feedback of the body of the body will sense that adjust down the amount of circulating adrenaline.
            This is true of all medications actually. All medications are actually poisons and poison a sysstem to make an effect.
            Baclofen does that as well, the body will try to regain what it think homeostasis should be and if you look like on that clip where the tree is bright red. Well immediate cessation of baclofen MAY cause it to become much redder and more intense as a rebound.

This can cause seizures, I mean the list is long of what can happen but psychosis can occur, hyperthermia can occur. I mean the whole system goes from being relaxed to rebound overstimulation.

If you find yourself going through baclofen withdrawal if you lost your baclofen and feel overly anxious. The treatment is benzos, if thaat is not around and you dont have baclofen. Alcohol will prevent baclofen withdrawal

I suspect I went baclofen withdrawal having gone from 120mg to none and felt mild symptoms in 24 hours, 36 hours was way worse. But it was slow progressing and you would know you are going through it if you were susceptible to it. You arent going to drop and have a seizure. Your anxiety will come back stronger and stronger as the hours go on. Its definitely noticeable with my little experiment on abrupt cessation

Comment

geez im surprised you stopped it abruptly just to see! ok, well im not planning on stoppng, just curious. i hope my order from inhouse pharmacy comes soon! wasnt aware baclofen helps with with withdrawels. if i do stop i would definitely titrate down. hope your still doing well with sober life

Comment

haha, you caught me before I edited that story out, too embarassing. Yeah, dont stop it abruptly

Comment

Wow. I guess you need to be REAL careful not to run out!

Comment

Well I guess the nugget of wisdom from my experience is it you know you are going through, it doesnt sneak up on you. It also can be treated wtih a benzo if you lose your baclofen and benzos can be used interchangeably with alcohol.
                    So if you run out or lose it. Having alcohol on hand can prevent some embarassment

5mg of valium and 1mg of ativan IV push completely stopped my baclofen withdrawal. So baclofen helps with alcohol withdrawal, valium helps with alcohol withdrawal. Likewise, in reverse. Benzos or alcohol can help with baclofen withdrawal.

It was interesting discussing that with a physician friend of mine after it happened how it all works on the same system like that and they all work to treat the other withdrawal syndrome.

So basically what we figured was, I was going through DTs from baclofen withdrawal

Comment

Bill P.,
                      Great video. Great to see research is being done.
                      Could this becoming more accepted and prescribed cause the price of Baclofen to increase?
                      Hope not.
                      Thanks for posting.

Comment

Saving Grace;676582 wrote: Bill P.,
                        Great video. Great to see research is being done.
                        Could this becoming more accepted and prescribed cause the price of Baclofen to increase?
                        Hope not.
                        Thanks for posting.
                        Naw, it wont increase as it is a generic. Its been out too long.
                        There is a wonderful drug for systolic heart failure called coreg. Its expensive but it is a wondeful drug that improves function dramatically.
                        It completely increases heart function, some going from an ejection fraction of 20% back to normal range with it of 55-70%. The average is 10% improvement. BUT going from 20% ejection fraction to a 30% EF is an increase in heart function of 33%. So its 1/3 mo betta!

Also, the generic form of it is out called carvedilol. You have to take it twice a day. It dramatically improves mortality and morbidity in heart patients.
                        YOU"D THINK they would opt for the 2 a day pills and get it cheap.

But if you work around patients long enough. You'll see that compliance. Even with a drug that you can show them with imaging the effect of improvement. If you have a 2 a day pill. The compliance in taking it goes down.

So Coreg, much more expensive still makes a ton of money. Because its worth it. Compliance with that medication directly correlates with less hospital stays and medical costs.

The same can be said of alcoholism, people just by nature wont be as compliant on the multidose baclofen generic that they will be when the one a day pill comes out.
                        And if you have health insurance that covers drugs. Then why not go for the one a day? Take it in the morning and thats it? Let the insurance companies pay for it. It will still save them money by limiting alcohol related disease, which is very unhealthy.

So in a sense, yes, it will go up if you want the one a day pill. But the fast elimination of the generic will never go up except for inflation. I get 720 ten milligram tabs for 40$ from walmart

If I had a billion dollars and a one a day tablet was available. I would pay extra for the convenience. The one a day is not approved yet by the FDA

Comment

What a fantastic video. I have sent it to myself and am going to forward it to a few doctors I know. Thank you.

Comment

Sorry Bill,

I am still in the vision of the possiblities through a prism for I am still under its spell.

I hope and then I hope again for its a reminder that once one can pull together enough of a force to recon with this pull from hell, there is a time of peace.

I listen always as best.

I learn always as what is best is a reminder to continue on.

You are and so someday it is possible that who I am when my completness unfolds will remind another that on the horizon relief is complete, pure and dependable.

Thanking you~
                            :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

Bill.P.;676595 wrote: I get 720 ten milligram tabs for 40$ from walmart
                              I guess that means you get it with a prescription? For those of us who have to get our dope on the black market, it is quite a bit more expensive. Still, if it works for me as well as it has for you, I will consider the price well worth it.
                              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X