Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Administrating Baclofen without the person's knowledge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

I was thinking about other cases where someone doesnt rcognize that he or se is an alcohoolic, and the family would like to help him / her even they do not agree. I was thinking if baclofen can be used in this scenario for the alcohoolic person without the persons knowledge. I don't know, maybe crushed and mixing it with food or coffe or and other liquids.

The same for the others ( nal, topa, antabuse - this shoud be done with high attention).

Please tell me if someone haqs succeded with one of these.

IVL.

Hi IVL. It is wonderful that you care enough to want to help. I have to agree with More2life on this one though. Ideally the decision about medications needs to be made between the patient and the doctor. There is even risk with a person chosing on their own to obtain medications through on-line sources without a doctors involvement. I think the risk soars when considering medicating someone without their knowledge.

I wouldn't do it.

Leave all the information laying around that you can though! That's a good suggestion.

Ultimately, all the drugs in the world won't help someone who doesn't want to stop drinking anyway, unfortunately. I wish there were a soft and gentle way to conquer this beast. If there is, I haven't found it.

Strength and hope - it CAN be done.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

IV,
      In most of the civilized world, this would be unethical, illegal, dangerous, and a really bad idea indeed. The fact is that in a free society, a person has the right to drink himself into an early grave as long as he doesn't endanger others in so doing. It's heartbreaking to see a person do this to themselves, but you may not take their lives into your own hands.

Comment

IV, an alcoholic can never get well until he/she admits they have a problem and actively seek help. To give medication to someone without their knowledge would be criminal. Give antabuse to someone without their knowledge, and they take a drink would be life threatening. Have you actually got any knowledge of these drugs.?

Comment

HI,

Yes I know whare the side effects of these drugs. I think the best approach would be with bac, as this drug has the minimum side effects. I know what I am thinking is wrong but I can not step away as there are all these alternatives. At least I am trying. What should I do? Should I remain blind to this.

IVL.

Comment

IVL,

What if this person had a serious reaction to whatever drug you decided to sneak into their food? What would you do? What if you didn't know about it and they got really sick? The doctors would have no idea how to treat this person.

Yes. You have to step back.

I would go to Al Anon if I were you. You would learn an awful lot about how to deal with an alcoholic in the appropriate way.

btw, I do think your heart is in the right place. I understand the pain of watching someone you care for doing this horrible thing to themselves. But you must do the right thing and definitely should not do the wrong thing.

Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hi, I do understand your helplessness regarding your partner's abuse. But please don't do this, as some have earlier posted, it is illegal and criminal.
              Enlightened by MWO

Comment

The basic procedure is to read up on whatever alcoholic-helper material you can, and just keep trying every which way. While in the unsuccessful phase, use this time to read and learn everything you can about the disease with special emphasis on this person's particulars. Untreated alcoholism leads to dysfunction, disability, and fatality. Never, never give up. Eventually, the person will relent and agree to treatment. When he does, you'll be ready with what to do. A new part of the procedure, in the giving-hope department, is to emphasize how good baclofen is for many if not the great majority of alcoholics.

Comment

A couple of people here have had serious side effects on baclofen. There could be serious legal repercusions for you, not to mention that the person you are trying to help will never trust you again. Also, if the person is not ready to admit they have a problem, they might just drink more. It is great you want to help - but you may need to step away to gain some perspective before you can do so. Please try al anon.

Comment

Have a talk with this person. Even though they may not admit to their problem, I'm sure they are unhappy and depressed due to the alcohol. Better to start with some literature from MWO or other books. Get the idea in their head. They may come around to wanted to try something for their problem.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Turn the tables. You have a bad habit and someone decides they are going to fix you without your knowledge, now imagine your reaction.

It is truly up to the person to decide when they will change. Maybe talking to them about your concerns, in a sincere way, will speed up that process.

Please do not give anyone medication without their knowledge. I will not repeat everything that has already been said before. I think you get the picture.

Best of luck and I hope the one you care for so much does get some help.
                      "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

IVF who ever the person is who you are trying to help they are so lucky to have you. I admitted I had a problem with al and my partner left me and would not offer me any help or support, although he was more than happy to use it as a stick to beat me with. I would love to have had the support you are obviously willing to give. Think all the advice given is the best , will the person you are trying to help not talk about it or acknowledge there is a problem ?

Comment

IV,

Aside from the ethical and legal issues, as well as the medical risks which others have pointed out, you also have to consider the practical difficulties of your proposed course of action. It would be very difficult to secretly dose this person with Bac, 3 or 4 times a day, on a slow, deliberate titration schedule. Its not as simple as just putting some Bac in his morning coffee and expecting this to make any difference to his or her drinking.

Again, as others have pointed out, the first step is making this person realize and acknowledge that they have a problem, and the effect such problem is having on those around them. A lot of times, alcoholics (myself included) are oblivious to the effect the disease has on those around them. Its always eye opening (and very upsetting) to have those loved ones tell you in no uncertain terms how your disease is affecting them.

I, personally, wouldnt advise a classic intervention. I found it more effective when people came up to me one by one, and in private talked to me about it.

Good luck.

Comment

Hi All,

Thank you so much for your replies. I had a break trough. I had a talk with the person dear to me and has admitted that there is an issue with alcohol.
                            Has agreed to start taking some meds for this. I was thinking in the first steps to start taking Antabuse for a while ( 1 Month ) for not having a relapse and the start to administrate baclofen.

I have read about the kudzu rescue pills that would have an effect there. What do you think?
                            Please help to start the right way and to have a success as this is an important step for this.

Please advise thank you.

Comment

IVL

I have tried almost everything. Unless they are truly committed to not drinking, Antabuse can be dangerous if they drink while on it. Also, it does not abate the cravings, they will have to white knuckle through, but the Kudzu will help with that. I am currently taking the Baclofen, I've just gone up to 40mg and OMG I believe it is working. I will post all my results on the Baclofen thread. I believe you need to take the Kudzu 3X a day, but check under the Holistic threads or order RJ's book. Good Luck and keep us posted. That is wonderful that you care so much.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Working...
                              X