Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding the correct Baclofen maintenance level

Hi, All

I have been on 240mg of bac for 12 consecutive days now. I'm on day 13 af today.

Using Dr. A's experience and input I got from Zenstyle, I am going to start titrating down as of today in search of my longer term maintenance level.

Very little has been posted on MWO on this topic, so I'd appreciate input from others as well. Given the different reactions people have had titrating up, I suspect going down will be similar.

I have always believed that bac is not a silver bullet that will cure my alcoholism. It has been miraculous in that it has allowed me stop drinking, but many of the underlying psychological issues that caused me to start drinking as well as the "drinking thinking" thought patterns of later years need to be addressed and laid to rest.

I have used supplements (like L-Glut) from when I joined MWO a few months ago, and I intend carrying on using them. The same goes for the great advice available in the Toolbox Thread. Becoming AF is just the 1st step, not the final destination. My immediate goal is to do at least 6 weeks AF to give my poor liver a chance to start healing itself (although the constant pain & discomfort is already much better). Long-term is to go AF completely.

I am currently taking the 240mg in four equal doses of 60mg each, every 6 hours. Using the same logic that I applied when I titrated up (higher doses during the evening at 1st, then spreading them more equally later on), I'm going to keep my last 2 doses at 60, but cut the daytime doses by 10mg each.

Today is day 1 at 220mg, then.

I'll be listening very carefully to what my body is telling me, and keep a dose of 20 - 40mg p.r.n. with me at all times should cravings start to return. I will not risk my AF tally - after so many years of non-stop drinking, I love seeing the AF days increasing

I'll keep you up to date as I go along, and as I said before, would love to hear from others who are going through the same process.
    I'll do whatever it takes
    AF 21/08/2009

I will be following your progress closely Tiptronic.

I expect to try and find maintainence dose in the next week or so myself.
    Andy R:

Comment

Tip,

It is great to see you AF and loving it.

When I got up to 160 mgs/day, my side effects were too harsh to stay there. I went down to 140 for a week. I then cautiously went down to 120 and stayed there a while.

It wasn't until I was SURE I could go down a bit more without craving that I did. I don't know how to describe that sureness, except to say that I, too, know that Baclofen is not my silver bullet, it was an incredible help for a hopeless drunk but not the do all end all. At that time, I was doing some stressful work and traveling (a huge trigger) and able to be around others drinking, etc, without caving. So, I went down to 100 mgs day.

I stayed at 100 mgs/day a long time.

I then went down to 90 mgs/day and then last week to 80 mgs/day.

In retrospect, I titrated up way too fast because I was desperate. It worked even though the side effects were really rough. Not sure if they were any worse than drinking 24/7 but hey, the mind of an alcoholic. We can control our meds not our drinking.

I have titrated down much more carefully than I titrated up. I simply do not want to ever drink again. Ever. My drinking has wreaked so much havoc in my life and on my loved ones.

I now take two doses a day. 40/40. One at lunch and one at dinner time.

I smile each and every day and I look in the mirror and do not hate the face in the mirror at all.

Like you, Tip, I am working on learning how to live sober. It is an adventure. It is scary because it is still so new. I relish the journey.

hth,
      Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Look forward to hearing how you are doing too, Tip
        "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

This is a great and logical thread to start at this time when so many have reached their switch-off level, and so many others are approaching it.

I'm sure this will be very useful to so many of us. As I said, a logical next step in our experimental journey together.

Tip, as one of the true miracle success stories here (like Cindi and Dr.Bill), we will all be watching your progress closely.

Cindi, I also find I am liking my reflection in the mirror more these days-- not because I am sober yet, though. I think it is because I am hopeful. My frown lines seem to have become less pronounced=)
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Another thing--

I know getting sober is not going to solve any underlying personal problems or issues, and those still need to be addressed. I just feel they can only be addressed sober, not the opposite -- the conventional approach is that if you solve your underlying problems, you will solve your alcohol problems. I couldn't disagree more. I look forward to dealing with my other issues sober. That's the only way to do it, IMHO.
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

beatle;706971 wrote: Another thing--

I know getting sober is not going to solve any underlying personal problems or issues, and those still need to be addressed. I just feel they can only be addressed sober, not the opposite -- the conventional approach is that if you solve your underlying problems, you will solve your alcohol problems. I couldn't disagree more. I look forward to dealing with my other issues sober. That's the only way to do it, IMHO.
              I couldn't have said it better myself, Beatle! Things are coming into proper persepctive for me now that I'm sober. It is easier to see where I need to start tackling all the things that need to be attended to.

And thanks to everyone who have posted so far. This is going to be interesting, and fun too, now that I'm not living in constant fear.
              AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Day 1 went well. I made a slight change in my evening schedule, though. Instead of the last 60mg at around 23h00, I took 20mg at 20h00, and 40mg at 22h00.

Today, I going to see how I'll do at 200mg. The plan is 40, 40, 60, 20, 40.

I'm also carefully monitoring my sleeping patterns. Ever since reaching 240 and going AF, I've had insomnia. I would feel tired about half an hour after taking bac, but deep sleep just wouldn't come. Last night, I went to bed even later than usual, but did get 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep (a lot for me at the moment).

And today I'm 2 weeks AF! YAY!
                AF 21/08/2009

Comment

:yay:

You're doing great Tips.

:goodjob:

Love J xxx
                  It could be worse, I could be filing.
                  AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Yesterday went well. The only change from plan was that I switched the last two doses around. Instead of 20,40, I did 40,20.

Today, I only took 30mg as my first dose, and will keep the others unchanged. I think I'll titrate down more slowly from here on in, especially because weekends used to be the worst for me. I am not taking any risks. I took me too long to get to where I am today. I don't mind the idea of taking bac for the rest of my life, if that is what it will take to keep me from descending into hell again. But I'd also like to take as little of it as possible, it that makes sense? The greatest thing about it all: I now have time on my side to do it right. I agree with Cindi that in retrospect, I might have titrated up too quickly. But like her, I wanted out. I just couldn't face the prospect of being a drunk anymore.

I briefly mentioned taking other supps etc. in conjunction with bac. Just in case anyone is interested, here is a list:

1. Milk Thistle (mornings)
                    2. Vitamin B-complex with Ginseng (mornings)
                    3. St. John's Wort (evenings)
                    4. Melatonin (before bed)
                    5. L-glutamine (three times a day)
                    6. Vitamin C (mornings)
                    7. Potassium (a banana before bedtime)

I.t.o. sleep, I got 4 hours again, and yet feel great today.
                    AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Working...
                    X