Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can excess alcohol cause insulin resistance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just had a recent physical, and although my liver function, cholesterol and blood pressure are excellent, my doctor informed me (much to my surprise) that my fasting glucose level was above normal, although not in the range warranting a diagnosis of diabetes. It was right on the border of normal/pre-diabetes. I didn't consume any alcohol the day before my blood tests, but I did go on a 2 day binge last weekend, taking Monday off drinking, before having my blood drawn on Tuesday morning. I've definitely consumed a ton of alcohol in my life (13 years of heavy drinking, the last 4 of which have been years of classic alcoholic drinking), but I exercise regularly, am not overweight, and aside from some bad food choices when on a drinking binge, I don't have a sweet tooth and avoid refined carbohydrates. Diabetes does run in my family, but only among people who fit the typical profile, namely, being middle-aged and overweight. I don't mean to sound like a hypochondriac, but since I can't find consistent info about this on the net, any info would be appreciated. Basically, I wonder if my substantial years of abuse have damaged my liver and pancreas enough to account for this slight increase in blood sugar. My blood sugar has always been normal before.

We sound similar in many regards. I haven't drank in 20 days but I have suffered various symptoms that have me wondering what is really going on. My anxiety/panic attacks were through the roof but have calmed down to manageable degrees. Yet, I just feel "off". Some days I feel so foggy headed and slightly dizzy I just don't know what to do. I've begun to focus more on my thyroid or blood sugar as being potential issues. How this all ties into my alcohol abuse over the years I have no idea.

I just am tired of feeling off. Not quite sick, but not quite well either. I was taking Paxil for 2 weeks from my anxiety, but I stopped after too many side effects I didn't care for. I was thinking about going in to get checked for possible hyperthyroid (the symptoms seem familar) and blood sugar issues.

I too exercise regularly, am not overweight, always have low blood pressure (120/70 range) but my food choices could always be better.

I thought cutting out the AL after a couple weeks would have me feeling great, and while I am MUCH improved over the initial WD's from my last binge, I just don't feel right, you know?

Good luck to you!

Comment

5th, did you speak with your doc about AL? I am type 2 and have spikes in blood sugar, but not AC1. AC1 is good and I am not over weight, in fact under weight. What was your fasting glucose level? Do you know your AC1 level?
      :l
      LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Not sure what AC1 even is. My fasting glucose level was 6.1 (whatever that means). In the past, it's never been higher than 5.3. To meet the criteria for diabetes, my doctor said it would have to be at least 7.0. I feel fine, so the result really surprised me, but my doctor did say that some evidence suggests that long-term heavy drinking reduces insulin sensitivity, but this is usually reversible with abstinence. I've read conflicting things about this, so am really just curious if anyone has any first-hand knowledge. I'm not diabetic, but since it does run in my family I plan on taking any and all measures to prevent this from getting worse immediately.

Comment

5th, glucose and AC1 levels are 2 levels to measure diabetis. Glucose is dif than AC1. Anything under 7 for AC1 is good. Your glucose would be more like 60 to 240. 110 before eating is and 140 or less is good within 2 hours of eating.
          :l
          LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

5th, I just had the same result, pre-diabetic. My Dad has just been diagnosed as type 2 (not a drinker), as are his siblings and My Grandfather was. I was completely AF for a week before the bloods. I did think I was eating fairly well, but keeping a food diary and making better choices has me feeling great, (which may also be down to the fact that I'm having an AF September).

The doc recommended a low G.I diet, and that's what I'm following (loosely), and I really don't feel deprived.

I wish you well

Bets.
            Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

5th - I'm wondering what you want as a reply. Do you want to be told that drinking will NOT cause or add to development of diabetes?

If so, and you are told it doesn't, does that mean you will continue to drink, feeling better about it? I'm just wondering... Or do you just want to feel that there was no damage? Maybe not. But if so, what's the cure? Probably not drinking...?! (Believe me, I am NOT being critical! I'm on this forum, after all.)

We ALL know that drinking causes all sorts of physical (and mental) problems. No new study is going to tell us that drinking to excess will make us healthier!! (If so, please PM me Immediately!!)

I have a friend who has Type 1 diabetes... who doesn't drink a drop. Not sure if she was told not to drink or not. But I have a feeling she was told that. Don't want to ask!

OH - and while we're at it, I would love to hear that smoking makes your teeth whiter!! lol.
              Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

yes, drinking can raise blood sugar levels which can lead to insulin resistance.

Comment

Working...
                X