Dr. Ameisen on Good Morning America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think someone else must have posted this link before, but for those who have not seen this, take a look:

A Cure for Alcoholism? Video
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Thanks, Beatle!
    Great idea to re-post this.

Comment

Garbutt projects an image suitably evil, sneeringly denying the discovery he could have made but stupidly overlooked because he is more interested in groveling for grant money than making any real contributions to society.

Comment

but i wonder about the long term affects of daily baclofen - I mean 5 yrs is a long time,but what about others who have been on it long term ie years & years.What about 10 yrs,or 20? What about being on it & trying to get pregnant? or if you're asthmatic,or needing to undergo surgery in the future that may somehow need one to stay off the meds? Effects of going off baclofen can be quite ordinary,even dangerous.
        Interesting though to see where this discovery goes now.

Comment

I wonder about this long term usage.

A friend of mine went to rehab after falling out of her car when the police stopped her after she drove down a one way street the wrong way.

It was either that or a likely prison sentence. The treatment was a 12 day detox, plus follow up group sessions and three months on Antabuse- she has never drunk since. (12 years).

I know of other people who have stopped after taking antabuse for a period of time (another friend took it for around 18 months, and has been dry for 5 years) and therefore I wonder about this thing if you really need to take Baclofen for the rest of your life- I think a hell of a lot of my drinking has been deep ingrained habit- and once you change those habits during a number of months or even years, and new habits have formed, is it still necessary to take it everyday?

Comment

Maybe it is necessary for some people psychologically, just like some people go to AA meetings for there entire lives. Others go for a few years and stop, using AA as a stepping stone. If we think we need something, we probably do.
            Redhibiscus

Comment

Oh, and worrying about the long term effects of medication brought to mind, what wouldthe long term effect of 10 more years of drinking alcohol be. Either way you are putting substances in your body. So the lesser evil would be medication to stop drinking.
              Redhibiscus

Comment

Red,

I was just about to post the same thing re long term usage.

It is so funny how us drinkers think. For the most part, we are afraid of meds when the real thing to fear is the liquid drug we consume. My doctor in rehab told me it is because we can control the meds, we can't control the alcohol.

I looked up Garbutt, it sounds like he is at least doing research where many others are just saying go to AA.

Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

double post, sorry
                  Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

There are in fact many people who have taken baclofen long-term, for decades (for other reasons, such as spasticity, etc.). Dr. A researched this before he started increasing his doses to high levels. He talks about it in the book. If I remember correctly, there were no reported adverse effects on the patients who had taken large doses long-term.

Also, Dr. A is at a low maintenance level of 30mg/day now. I suspect he will be able to cut it out with time and he is at that level mostly for psychological reasons. He also takes it on a prn basis, which is probably what most people will need -- to have it handy in case. And at just 30mg/day, it wouldn't take so long to titrate off of it. If you needed to get off for surgery or some other reason, I assume you would know ahead of time and could plan accordingly.

Still, we should all carry something on our body (like a diabetic does) saying we are on Bac and at what dosage so that if something does happen to us, the supply won't be suddenly cut off. (We should do this for all medications, I think).

And, as Cindi says, look at the alternative to long-term Bac...hmmm... doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out which of the drugs has greater potential for damage taken on a long-term basis=-)...Yeah, but it takes an alcoholic to ask these kinds of questions;-)

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mESBqsmx0NU[/video]]YouTube - Have you ever been this drunk?

Comment

if you check in

I just bumped this up in case you check in, still sitting here in my car waiting!!?

MA
                        :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

I'm not sure what this message means, cowgal. If you are waiting for me to return a PM, I am unfortunately not able to at the moment, as my PM box is full. I'll try to clear it out later.

Comment

excellent post Beatle. thank you.

beatle;713903 wrote: There are in fact many people who have taken baclofen long-term, for decades (for other reasons, such as spasticity, etc.). Dr. A researched this before he started increasing his doses to high levels. He talks about it in the book. If I remember correctly, there were no reported adverse effects on the patients who had taken large doses long-term.

Also, Dr. A is at a low maintenance level of 30mg/day now. I suspect he will be able to cut it out with time and he is at that level mostly for psychological reasons. He also takes it on a prn basis, which is probably what most people will need -- to have it handy in case. And at just 30mg/day, it wouldn't take so long to titrate off of it. If you needed to get off for surgery or some other reason, I assume you would know ahead of time and could plan accordingly.

Still, we should all carry something on our body (like a diabetic does) saying we are on Bac and at what dosage so that if something does happen to us, the supply won't be suddenly cut off. (We should do this for all medications, I think).

And, as Cindi says, look at the alternative to long-term Bac...hmmm... doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out which of the drugs has greater potential for damage taken on a long-term basis=-)...Yeah, but it takes an alcoholic to ask these kinds of questions;-)
                            nosce te ipsum
                            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Sorry to confuse!!

I tried to email the GMA clip to a friend (but can't attach from my iphone) so told her about site........told her about bac and the book ....... That is why I bumped this thread up....didn't want to post her name and don't know if she joined........

Sorry!!! I was in an appt. for the past hour........

MA
                              :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Working...
                              X