Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antabuse + Campral vs. Antabuse + baclofen

Hi all,

I have done a lot of reading on this forum and I have some question, more curiosity:

What do you think about the following, what would be the best approach:

1. Antabuse ( to remain sober) + baclofen ( for reducing anxiety, cravings for alchool)

2. Antabuse ( to remain sober) + Campral ( this seems to a some kind of standard treatment )

3. Antabuse + baclofen + campral.

Is there anyone that have used one of the following combinations. What do you think would be more effective in results 1 or two?

What about 3, do you think using all three at once would create any side effects?

I am eager to see your comments.

IVL.

IVL- I tried antabuse and while it does keep you sober I feel it limited my progress, I was not drinking because I couldn't- I was not facing my addiction in anyway.

I only have a few minutes now, and will try to reply in more detail later if you would like but based solely on my own experiences and what I have read, I would go for either:

a) Naltrexone (as per The Sinclair method) if you can accept it might take months before you really notice changes.

b) Baclofen (Hopefully you are in a situation where you titrate up without too much delay)

c) A combination of a low dose of Baclofen and Naltrexone (Only add the Naltrexone on the days you are going to drink, taking it 1 hr before).

I think any of these methods will lead to an eventual cure, whereas although the antabuse will stop you drinking, but you will not be any nearer a long term cure.

Only my opinion, but I was a hopeless case and these days I feel I am just a step away from being AF.

Edit: I would like to add I know people both offline and here on the board who have achieved long term sobriety with AB- but I think there are much 'easier' methods.

Comment

Hi thanks for your reply,

But I was thinking stricltly to one of the above scenarios. Did anyone used one these combination, and what would be the result?

IVL.

Comment

I have been on the board for a while now and I have never heard of anybody using a combination of these meds- I would imagine (given that there is no medical reason to mix the two) that AB and baclofen would be a working combination.

I can't comment on the campral because I have never tried it.

Are you going alone? Maybe a doctor could advise?

The reason I don't like AB is (apart from it gave me headaches!) is that you although you don't drink because you can't- it wasn't doing anything for the mental part of my addiction.

With Naltrexone and/or Baclofen, I have found because my physical craving is so much less to the point of not really being an issue, I am able to identify my 'triggers' quite easily, and therefore work on them- with AB that wasn't possible.

Comment

Hi,

I agree with you but using antabuse ( for an extra layer protection ) for staying sober, and the craving is resolved by baclofen and the urge to drink, and they do not interact on the same area. So from my side you are working on two sides ( antabuse + baclofen ) vs just one Baclofen single.

What do you think about it?

IVL

Comment

I think to go with what you feel will be best for you!

There are so many people now having success with different meds, or a combination of meds, and sometimes folk seem to get a bit uptight when someone else doesn't want to do it the same way that they are having success with.
            But I think that in itself is good- it only comes out of a desire to help others.

I say Go for It! As long as there are not any likely reasons they would react badly together?

It might be a good idea to start on Antabuse by itself at first, and when you are sure it is not giving you any bad reactions, then add the bac, or vice virsa? If you do both together and get side effects, you wont be able to tell which is causing them.

Look forward to hearing how it goes!

Comment

My daughter has been on antabuse and campral for over four months. She has remained alcohol and prescription drug free. The antabuse has helped her not drink while the campral has helped take the cravings away She is in therapy but remains at home and doing well

Comment

Working...
              X