Talking to teenage and adult children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About abstaining or greatly moderating drinking. Any good ways or ways to stay from this talk? :thanks:

I don't think you should use your energy trying to decide one way or the other, as long as you manage to get, and stay, sober. That's the goal.

If you feel like you need to talk about it for your own sake, or for their sake, go ahead. If you don't want to, don't.

If you feel they have a problem with alcohol, or are going in that direction, tell them about the rest of the alcoholics in the world and how awful it is to have this disease.

And tell them about baclofen.

That is my advice.

I wish someone had given me that advice 20 years ago.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

My daughter is 14 and I too have wondered just how much to tell her, if anything.

I highly recommend reading this book to get advice on how to approach this difficult decision.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f4...ack-33749.html
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Thank you. I will get this book. This is definitely a generational issue from my mother's side in my family and likely the same from my father's side. how long have you been working mwo or been on a program?

Comment

Working...
        X