Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When enough is ENOUGH

Hi All,
    I have been here on and off for a few years..I just cant seem to grasp this strength most of you have...
    I just lost my job..(not because of my drinking..I usually just drink on weekends) and now being home all the time...I am drinking more ...I dont know what to do. I read the book, took suppl. and I feel the voices in my head have just taken over...
    What I so dont get is, after a day of binging, the next morning I wake up so depressed and anxioused..cant stop crying all day...and I know its because of the poisen I am putting inside me...then why do I keep going back...it doesnt make sense...I want to crawl up into a ball at times...and just disappear... =(

When enough is ENOUGH

Hey Bunky, I know how it feels to be anxious and depressed. I am certainly not the most qualified person at this point to advise you on much, but I just wanted you to know there are so many people here who have been thought it all. Drinking is a catch 22,,you drink because your anxious and depressed (or in my case, for any reason at all..LOL)but the drinking makes you anxious and depressed so it's a hard cycle to stop. Just STOP it. You can do it. It's within your power. You have take the first step by acknowledging it, now its time for action. Take it minute by minute, hour by hour for the first week. Then it will start to be a bit easier, but there will always be challenges. And read up on the supplements and meds if you feel they will help you..and welcome..
    Every day is not 100%, however, it is 100% better than my best day of drinking..

Comment

When enough is ENOUGH

Thanks...I lasted 3 months one time at the beginning of the year...I felt great then ended up in the ER cuz I was so bad! I bought some of the suppl but feel no different

Comment

When enough is ENOUGH

Well 3 months is amazing. So you know you can do it and that you are strong. Everyone has slip ups, so I guess the trick is to get back on it and try again...and come back here when the urge strikes. There are usually people in chat if you want to talk one on one with someone. Or you can PM me,,,whatever works! How did you feel during those 3 months? Maybe focus on the positive things...how you felt, how your relationship with your loved ones improved, etc.
        Every day is not 100%, however, it is 100% better than my best day of drinking..

Comment

When enough is ENOUGH

I just tried sending u back a PM..not too good at that yet...
          I am 46
          I never really seemed comfortable in my own skin..even growing up..I have social anxiety pretty bad...but after a few drinks I want to be with ppl and be sociable to the point that it became a habit...
          I do know when I quit I will go back to those ways...I have a hard time with ppl..most ppl..it scares me...most of my friends drink every weekend too

Comment

When enough is ENOUGH

Hi Bunky ~
            You say you have a hard time socializing- have you thought of seeing a doctor for meds?
            I know that would probably be extra hard if you are already anxious about your situation but there are lots of medications specifically for that- I know cuz I took them for awhile. They really really helped with anxiety and just all sorts of things.....
            It's just a thought I had when I read your post.
            Also~ if most of your friends drink and you want to quit- that's not going to work.....

Comment

When enough is ENOUGH

I would swear, that is how all my drinking first started.I was put on an anti-depressant and NEVER had drinking issues before that...then I couldnt sleep...etc and so I started to have a few drinks...well a few led to this mess so I am trying not to go that route again..
              as for my friends...yup they all drink and party alot and my husband doesnt understand at all when I dont want to go out if I am not drinking..he doesnt have a problem so he doesnt get it...cuz if I drink that night...the next day I just want to keep going...

Comment

When enough is ENOUGH

Also~ if most of your friends drink and you want to quit- that's not going to work.....

My room mate drinks a min 26 oz of vodka per day. Thank goodness vodka is not my drink of choice. If it were beer she drank, I'd feel like I'd have to move out to become AF.
                She stays in one part of the house, myself on the other usually. Meals together with her kids and mine.
                Just watching her while we do see each other though throughout the evening is also enough to have me continue this journey.
                Of all vices, drinking is the most incompatible with greatness
                Sir Walter Scott
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

When enough is ENOUGH

If you have social anxiety, it will come back when you stop drinking. However, being sober will help you to deal with the underlying causes, which you cannot do while in that drinking cycle. You know you can do 3 months, and that is great! I understand about drinking more; you have much more time to drink and the anxiety of being out of work.

If you have trouble sleeping with anti-depressants, it is better to get some help with medication rather than use alcohol as a sleeping aid.

It took me 5 months after stopping to really start feeling okay; whereas with some people, they feel better right away. I have been dealing with anxieties I never knew I had before stopping, but at least I have ME to deal with, not me + wine. It does get better.

Please reconsider about the anti-depressants. Your doc might have some solutions for your sleep issues.

Take care and be well. Don't stop trying!
                  AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

When enough is ENOUGH

Yes as many have told me....keep trying. Never give up. Best to you.
                    "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Working...
                    X