AA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AA

I read somewhere in another thread that said most people [from MWO] don't want to do AA. And when I think about it, I hear very little about AA here. Maybe someone can explain the general perception of AA?

AA

I love AA and it's way out.

I am here because of AA and because of MWO.

We are here for you, no matter what.

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

AA

Hi libits,

Personally I have no problem with AA and respect anyone who uses any tool to achieve their goals in regards to alcohol.
      I ended up at a group I wasn't very comfortable with, perhaps my loss.
      I find comfort in this forum, so will stay here.

DLA
      Of all vices, drinking is the most incompatible with greatness
      Sir Walter Scott
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

AA

Bottom line is that you have to find what works for you. I started out with MWO but for me it wasn't quite enough so I tried AA (again) and it finally stuck. Is it for everyone? Absolutely not, but until you try something yourself you won't really know for sure.

I now use both and couldn't be happier with my life.
        Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

AA

I also think that AA seems to frown on drugs such as topamax, campral, baclofen, etc and prefer to white knuckle it. And this program has a strong component of drugs to help with craving and nutrition, exercise, etc. And you go to an AA mtg and they smoke, eat doughnuts, drink tons of coffee, and don't seem healthy. I know each group is different and you can find a group with healthier folks but this is my honest impression. However, if it works, go for it. Another point is that AA is very black and white in their thinking. I think many of us here think that if you have 3 AF days or 3 yrs of AF days, be proud of your success for each one of those days. And if you do drink, and your goal is AF, it does not diminish all your AF success days where you are back to square 1. And many substitute the alcohol addiction to 12 step addiction. Mtgs won't kill you like alcohol can though. I am all in favor of a spiritual approach so don't get me wrong. I have very mixed feelings about the program. I have read a lot on AA from googling the Orange Papers and AA. Fascinating read for days and days. I guess I have a love/hate attitude about it.

EDIT: We also had a very loved member of MWO who had AA crammed down her throat for legal reasons and she was encouraged/made to not associate with us @ all any more because we were not in the program. She had met several of us personally and we were all very hurt by her dropping us like hot potatoes- even those who had the most solid, personal, real-life, meet and have coffee relationships and were totally in support of her recovery. Just a side note.

Comment

AA

BTW- you can find GREAT speaker meetings for free in itunes. I have definitely enjoyed them, esp. the more defiant members. Clancy was a great listen and several women were also. AA definately encourages ethical behavior and that I admire. One speaker addressed how AA used to reach out to the person still drinking and now that person still drinking is admonished. That was interesting to hear the shift.

Good luck!

Comment

AA

I thought for sure that AA was not the way for me, but i went to my first meeting recently and though i dont agree with the "powerless' part of it , i felt so much better after attending a meeting. Like a weight was lifted.

I think you just take what works, and leave the rest.
              AF/SF - November 23, 2014

Comment

AA

i also do AA meetings, different meetings , different places, different people, for most times it is great but a few have been a bit to much.I advoid them ones. I would go to a zz meeting to help me stay of this drink

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Working...
                X