Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first Job Interview

Hi,
    I am so scared..going on my first interview in a few hours and I am horrified...Havent been on one in years and I am sitting here crying out for help as I want a drink so bad to calm my nerves...my anxiety right is out of control..and that voice in my head is saying Just one...which there is no such thing of

My first Job Interview

Hi Bunky

There are a lot of things we blow out of proportion in our minds. Job interview is one of them.

How many times do we drive ourselves crazy only to find out they work out fine.
    Don't worry about something that hasn't happened yet, like messing it up.

Prepare yourself well and don't drink because you don't want to be hungover or feeling guilty. Prepare yourself and hopefully your skills will match what they want.

Have some faith in yourself and you will be fine either way.

Comment

My first Job Interview

Hi Bunky

You need to play fast forward the tape.

First imagine if you take that drink to calm yourself. You know that you will have more than one. Think how you will arrive at the interview stinking of booze, slurring, unsteady on your feet. Unable to complete a sentance without forgetting the point you are trying to make. It's not going to get you that job is it.

Now, much as you want a drink now think of how you are going to arrive at the interview sober, what a good impression you will make. You will be clear headed and answer the questions consisely.

Good luck with the interview. Make the right choice you are strong!
      If alcohol made you happy I should be the happiest person alive! I'm not.

Comment

My first Job Interview

You're right Bunky..no such thing as just one, for most of us anyway.

And, keep in mind whoever is interviewing you WILL smell the alcohol. I had interviewed many over the years and believe it or not, some came in and I could smell it on their breath. Not a good first impression.

Also, as many interviews as I'd done, I was always a wee bit nervous myself. That interviewer is just like you and anyone else. Has their own life struggles, own issues. Take a deep breath, relax and put a smile on your face. You wouldn't be interviewing for a job if you weren't qualified right? Be confident and you will be fine.

Good luck!!
        DLA
        Of all vices, drinking is the most incompatible with greatness
        Sir Walter Scott
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

My first Job Interview

Thank you Nancy,
          AS I am trying to prepare it is scaring me even more so I guess I am just going try not to think about it...wish someone was in chat =(

Comment

My first Job Interview

Breathe Bunky.
            You are going to be just fine.
            Good luck with the interview -- I hope it turns out the way you want it.
            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

My first Job Interview

Sorry as I only saw one response when I replied to this...thank you everyone...you all make sense...:thanks:

Comment

My first Job Interview

Can any one chat?

Comment

My first Job Interview

Bunky, I can. Meet you there?
                  ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

My first Job Interview

((Bunky)))

I would hon, but I can't access chat from work. I have thought of a few things. Look up on the puter some interview questions, print them out, then write out your answer and practice saying it aloud, maybe in front of a mirror, smile.

Call a friend and see if they can talk to calm you or even come over and help you prep.

Hon just be yourself, pause before answering any question posed to you. I think we make the most mistakes while rushing. Employers aren't impressed by a hasty but weak answer as much as a considered one.

Good luck and remember, it's a job interview, it doesn't cost money, it's not as painful as a dentist, you aren't stuck on a bad date with a jerk, it's not a tax audit, it's not a funeral. In otherwords, there are a lot of more terrible experiences than a job interview. Go in there thinking, do I want to work there, not will they like me. Good luck hon!!!!!!:l

Comment

My first Job Interview

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys are the best!

Comment

My first Job Interview

Not sure if ppl keep reading these posts but I went on my interview with absolutley NO Al..and I am so pround of myself..I know its just one time..but thanks to all of you who made so much sense..got me through a tough one! Thanks again all

Comment

My first Job Interview

Well done Bunky, hope you are successful.

Comment

My first Job Interview

Well done Bunky!

Comment

My first Job Interview

Great to hear it Bunky!
                              One thing I have learned about that worried voice in your head that panics and brings up worst case scenarios is that the voice is often really wrong. So there's no point getting upset about it or following what it wants you to do. It takes a little pracrice to start ignoring it but it can be done.

In this particular case of job interviews... you would have reason to be nervous if you hadn't prepared. But if you prepare and your resume reflects who you really are (no lies), you just need to go in and be yourself and hope it's a good fit for both. Remember you are interviewing them too. They picked you based on the skills in your resume.

Comment

Working...
                              X