I REALLY REALLY need your advice please-help for a friend in need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll try and make this as short as I can.

My room mate went to her doctor to get admitted into the hospital
    for detox. We had all our plans laid...me basically covering both
    Mom positions for a week. No problem, I want to help anyway I can.

Here's the thing...there is NO WHERE in this city, or even close by
    who will take you in to detox. You may not go into the hospital
    for help..get this...until you are 30!!!!! days AF.

I had no clue things were run this way.

So, her doctor gave her a prescription for Librium. Just got off google
    and apparently it is highly ADDICTIVE and withdrawl symptoms are
    the SAME AS ALCOHOL. AND it can cause liver damage.
    What is the point then??? She will be in the same
    position 30 days from now for crying out loud!

Now, I have to say I'd always thought it was 'better' to drink beer.
    Drinking beer makes you less of an alcoholic?? What a nitwit I was.
    She drinks vodka, and huge amounts-everyday and night. She shakes
    like a jackhammer when not drinking and I am scared to death. For some reason
    I just did not have any symptoms other than feeling like I wanted a drink.
    She though
    thinks the same way I did...beer is just not as bad. I'm trying to explain
    alcohol is alcohol, no matter how packaged.

I have the EPO, L-glut, and daily vitamins to give her.

She will not empty her bottle and stop til tomorrow, so although I don't agree
    it, will buy me some time for some of your excellent advice.

Here's my question...what should I look for in terms of dangerous symptoms.
    I've asked her to stay in bed for 3 days and I will handle anything that needs
    to be done, so I will be checking in quite a bit, but it's the after 10pm
    that I'm worried most for, as I'm usually in bed 10-11pm. I'll have to
    probably set my cell alarm to go off every few hours I suppose..no big deal.

So much for my short post...and truly thank you in advance for suggestions.
    I'll keep looking around the site for information for her in the meantime.

DLA
    Of all vices, drinking is the most incompatible with greatness
    Sir Walter Scott
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you looked over the information in this thread? If not you might fight it helpful:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f7...wal-13412.html

I know that many people are not fond of the idea of Alcoholics Anonymous. But some AA folks do know a lot about alcoholism, withdrawl, and how to utilize local resources. If you are up for it, you might want to call and see if someone might be able to help your friend first hand.

I hate alcohol. Strength and hope to you both!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

You might try and PM Determinator, he had some excellent advice on what helps withdraw symptoms.

:l and prayers to you
      :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

Hi DLA
        I don't know about where you are but here Librium is only taken for 7 to 10 days, to help with withdrawal. The amount taken is decreased over a couple of days. It takes the worst edge off withdrawal symptoms. Usually for the first day or two it is preffered if someone else takes control of the medication so as to prevent the person taking it from taking too much. I have unfortuneately taken it a few times, I'm a bit slo on the uptake. PM me if you want.

Comment

Dry, if your roommate is drinking that much, you might need to help her TAPER off alcohol over the first day or two. Gradually tapering (like titrating off a drug with smaller and smaller doses) can help avoid the most deleterious acute withdrawal effects.

here is some info. How To Taper Off Alcohol

Many MWO'ers have successfully tapered.

for example, 42Cat: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...ggy-34156.html

very best luck to you and your roommate
          Woman takes a drink, drink takes a drink, drink takes a woman.

Comment

Thank you Doggygirl

Yes, was so surprised to see her home, and now searching threads in earnest to help her.
            For sure I will check out that thread, great that you provided the link.

Also, for anyone who took this...how long did you use it for and any withdrawls for that? Google has scared me to death.

She won't go to AA...not yet anyway. Her doctor is not impressed with that or her asking if the pharmacist will know what the Rx is for. She is unfortunately a wicked mess. She WILL CALL AA, and I've offered to accompany her. I remember all to well being nervous when I went.

I just think if she can get a few days AF into her, she will feel so much better, and only even better as the days march forward. I'm leading by example.

She's not one to sit in front of a computer (bad back more than anything)..so I am printing out whatever I can for her to read.

DLA
            Sir Walter Scott

Comment

drylifeahead;740219 wrote: Thank you Doggygirl

Yes, was so surprised to see her home, and now searching threads in earnest to help her.
              For sure I will check out that thread, great that you provided the link.

Also, for anyone who took this...how long did you use it for and any withdrawls for that? Google has scared me to death.

She won't go to AA...not yet anyway. Her doctor is not impressed with that or her asking if the pharmacist will know what the Rx is for. She is unfortunately a wicked mess. She WILL CALL AA, and I've offered to accompany her. I remember all to well being nervous when I went.

I just think if she can get a few days AF into her, she will feel so much better, and only even better as the days march forward. I'm leading by example.

She's not one to sit in front of a computer (bad back more than anything)..so I am printing out whatever I can for her to read.

DLA
              If her script is only for a week to 10 days and tapering towards the end, she will have no withdrawal from the Lib.

Comment

Hiya,

Here is the link to my detox.
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...tox-35806.html

My doctor started me on 4 tablets 4 x daily tapering down over a week to 2 tablets just once on the 7th day.

I can get the full instructions and post them if you need them

This is a very very safe way to detox as the librium helps with the AL withdrawal and is then tapered off over 7 days so that your friend will not be addicted to the librium. I found this a very comforable way to detox.

Please dont hesitate to ask any more questions, and I wish your friend all the very best in her journey, and big hugs to you for being such a good friend to her.

Love & Hugs, BB xx :h:l:h
                sigpicXXX

Comment

Thank you thank you

ak girl, I'll do that, sent one already to another lady.

Opal, he made her an RX for 30 days. I almost had a heart attack.
                  I told her do not take for more than 3 days,
                  cut them in half for the next couple days, a quarter for a couple after that.
                  I'm no doctor, but if I had to take it, that's what I'd do. Thanks!!!

puddytat, I tried that already. Sometimes she buys 2 big bottles and asks me
                  to hold one for her. But, as she drinks more and more during the evening,
                  there is no way I would say no. I asked her to not ask me to 'hold' for her
                  anymore, as it doesn't work. Last week I mentioned in preparation for detox,
                  she should taper. All that did was have her drink even more...her thinking
                  she will never drink again...

Good Lord I am stressed. Just watching what she goes through goes a long
                  way into helping me stay dry!!
                  Sir Walter Scott

Comment

Reading all the above...looks like doctor got it wrong, and tapering the Librium is the way to go!!!
                    Thank you...have a lot of reading to do, but now not so freaked out about it!!!:thanks::thanks::thanks:
                    Sir Walter Scott

Comment

Ahhh, never mind the doctor was wrong post. After reading BB's detox thread, I realize it is 30 pills. For some reason I thought it was only one a day. She's getting it filled tonight to have them ready for the morning. When they come in no doubt it will state how many, with tapering included.

BB you did great...off to read more about detox.

:thanks:
                      Sir Walter Scott

Comment

I thought I should do a quick update on this thread as well.

Roomie is now on day 3. Last night she felt so good she almost wanted to go and buy some. On the morning of her first day I decided to hide her keys for when I had to run out for errands so she couldn't slip out and buy it on the sly. Tomorrow I am leaving town for the weekend, so at that point, her 4th day, I figure it is up to her willpower and out of my hands.

She really is doing so well. I am proud of her. She is shocked...shakes are gone, no hangovers, energy starting to arrive, sleeping ok, eating very well. All we strive for is slowly happening for her.

Thank you for all your support!!!!!!!!!!
                        DLA
                        Sir Walter Scott

Comment

Working...
                        X