trying to get it together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought I should post this here as well as the topa forum...

I'm worried about the "dopey" effect of topomax - is that only at high doses? Is it necessary to go all the way up to 300mg? It is interesting to read that some people's cravings come back.

I think I need to try something because yesterday I took all the supplements and listened to the Subliminal cd, although I didn't exercise, because I'm coming down with bronchitis. Over the course of the day I somehow managed to have 10 beers and a glass of wine. Bad. I'm so frustrated. Maybe I'm afraid of change, or something. It's like I'm fighting with myself. Can't seem to sit still long enough to read, or listen to the cds, or some other ones I have about mindfulness, etc. I always seem to fill up the time I have to myself, which is not much, with errands, chores, etc., and I think that's what leads to the frustration, rebellion, etc., that drives me to drink.
    :new:

work is that you or are you a new work in progress

Comment

I'm a new work in progress. I think there is another one called Work In Progress, and I'm just workinprogress (all one word)

Comment

OK, I just found a beer in the freezer, so it was "only" 9...

My daughter (only child) just started kindergarten and I am finally getting some time to myself to work on my sanity, which I desperately need. But it all seems to get sucked into trying to organize the house, which is a wreck. I used to have a part time job, but, like many others, was laid off and haven't found anything else.

Comment

Hiya Work,
          When I took Topa I only went up to 75mg's and had NO desire to drink at all - none, nada, nix!!
          Everyone is different and the way we respond to medication is different but I say go for it if you think it's for you.
          Have you considered Bac?
          I do suggest you arm yourself with as much research as possible before making any decision about meds.
          Good luck, which ever you decide.
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

how long did you take it?

Comment

ok thnx for clearing tht up but welcom anyting in life can be worked out you found a great site

Comment

will see how your doin in a month from now stik around some of us will wear on you hahahaha

Comment

workinprogress;740943 wrote: how long did you take it?
                  Only for a couple of months unfortunately.
                  I believe which ever one you do choose, commit to it for a good 6 months before packing it in. Unless the side effects are horrid.
                  "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Not to be nosy, but was the cost a factor? I'm trying to find an affordable source that doesn't charge a lot for shipping, to try it...but then again if I exercise consistently and listen to the cds consistently, maybe I won't need it...I don't really want to go through my doctor because I'm pretty sure he'll make me to to the outpatient rehab thing I tried before and hated...it felt like high school or something.

I did go for a walk and feel better about things. Just because I'm sick doesn't mean I can't go for a quick walk. Have to do everything else, anyway, might as well not use it as an excuse not to exercise.

Comment

I took topomax when I first joined. It did work (it made my beer taste like sucking on a peice of tin foil, yuck!) at lower doses for me but I couldn't get through the "fog" and I have to be high functioning at work. I'm in law and could cause someone a ton of anguish by citing the wrong case, or leaving everything to the dog instead of the children. I could not dose up do to this and eventually had to discontinue. I have some left if you are in the states, I could pop it in the mail to you. I believe it is 25mg. If you would like it, PM me.
                      AF since 2/4/10
                      Nicotine free since 3/31/10
                      FINALLY FREE

Comment

I went up to 200mg. before I was able to quit. I lowered my dose after several months, and I just stopped taking 50 mg. about a month ago. I definitely had the dopeys, but you can find ways to deal with that--lists, cell-phone notes, alarms, etc. In total, I was on the topa for about 2 years and 3 months after I stopped drinking. I was able to get mine through a prescription so the cost was small. Good luck with your journey.
                        AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

trying to get it together/still waffling about Topa

shirazgirl;741245 wrote: I took topomax when I first joined. It did work (it made my beer taste like sucking on a peice of tin foil, yuck!) at lower doses for me but I couldn't get through the "fog" and I have to be high functioning at work. I'm in law and could cause someone a ton of anguish by citing the wrong case, or leaving everything to the dog instead of the children. I could not dose up do to this and eventually had to discontinue. I have some left if you are in the states, I could pop it in the mail to you. I believe it is 25mg. If you would like it, PM me.
                          That is very kind of you! I'm still not sure if I can handle the side effects though. I'm pretty spacey and unorganized as it is! Let me think about it and I will try to remember how to do a PM...:thanks:

Comment

Working...
                          X