sick of being sick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sick of being sick

I have been an insulin dependent diabetic for 44 years, in and out of hospitals causing much family turmoil. When I was 15, I started smoking pot frequently. I still do. Then my husband and I experimented with crack cocaine. After 3 years, 3 mos. of rehab and alot of financial and legal problems, we stopped by the grace of God and got in Church. Then we moved to the country where I have no family or friends and we started drinking. We have been drinking over a fifth of vodka each for 5+ years every night until we pass out. This is my fifth day without alcohol. The 1st 2 days I was in bed sick from drinking so much. The 3rd day was hard, but I made it through, only I did not sleep at all. Alcohol was my sleep aid and my physical pain killer! The 4th day I was so tired and sleepy and in so much pain, I didn't think about it much, but still didn't sleep. Today i want a drink so bad I can hardly stand it! Please someone encourage me!
    :new:
    I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I could be. I'm definetly not who I want to be,
    but I'm sure not who I used to be!

There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still.

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME." Phil 4:13

sick of being sick

Please do not give up now. You will only be right back where you started and have to go through the first five days again. You have gotten through the most difficult days and you will soon start to feel better both mentally and physically. Glad you found this site. Many have gone through what you are experiencing and their lives are so much better because of it. Hang in there. Do something to take you mind off of it. A warm bath, a brisk walk or a cup of tea. Just no Vodka!!!!

Comment

sick of being sick

You have gone 5 days now without a drink. You still remember how sick you were from drinking. Do you want to feel like that again? Drink will not make you feel better you know. It will be a quick fix and all it will achieve is the undoing of all your hard work and you will hate yourself for giving in. Promise yourself a drink tomorrow if you must, but do not have one today. Just last today without drinking. Go for a walk to clear your mind.
      Alcohol is poison to my life - AF 04 January 2010

Comment

sick of being sick

Well, I made it through last night and after talking with you guys and reading so many stories, I slept really good and I feel great today! We have to go to Walmart today for some things and this will be a temptation for my husband as we have to ride by the liquor store, but I pray I can encourage him not to stop and help him get through his first week! Tomorrow will be one full week without alcohol and I feel so grateful that I don't even want any today! We live 30 minutes from a liquor store or anything else so we don't leave the house much. As long as it is not in the house, we can make it! I am so thankful and so excited I found you guys to talk to and encourage me last night. I talked to my husband about it but he doesn't want to talk to me or anything about it. I don't understand why he would rather keep it all inside. That doesn't sound healthy. A sweet person recommended tlrgs for him to talk to, but I don't know how to find anyone yet. If you are tlrgs, please email me. Love you all! Thank you!!!!
        I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I could be. I'm definetly not who I want to be,

Comment

sick of being sick

:welcome: Sobs.
          You are now on day 6 from what I understand. Good for you. Certainly not an easy thing to do. Sure would be a shame to have a drink and undo all the hard work.
          I don't know much about diabetics and alcohol but it seems to me that drinking can't be a good thing for a diabetic. If you just think about the benefits to your health by being AF, maybe it will give you extra incentive to not take that first drink again.
          As for your husband, it is not easy for everyone to talk about their problem with alcohol. First and foremost, we have to admit that a)we have a problem and b)we want to do something about it, in order to face the facts and to open up and talk to others, our spouses included.
          Try to be strong. It is so worth it in the long run. If you are having difficult moments, just go to chat to talk about it. There is usually someone there and if there isn't, someone who is logged on will notice you and drop in soon.
          Wishing you luck in staying AF,
          Stirly
          For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
          AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

sick of being sick

Thank you for the encouragement! My health is not reason enough for me to quit. In fact, it is my excuse to drink! I've been a diabetic for 44 years and I'm lucky to be alive after all the drugs and alcohol over the last 30 years! I have so much nerve damage that I am in constant pain, so alcohol is the only thing I have found to numb it. I am going to have to learn to live with the pain and survive without alcohol because I am so tired of the depression and constant hangovers! I am so thankful I found this place last night. There are so many caring, encouraging people here! It is truly my lifeline!!!

Comment

sick of being sick

Welcome Sick of Being Sick. Congratulations on making it through sober, one day at a time! I hope your husband makes positive choices for sobriety too. But even if he doesn't, I hope YOU will make the sober choice for yourself. We can't do this for anyone else.

Strength and hope to you,

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

sick of being sick

Hi Sick- I just thought that now that you are going to Church-that's an excellent place to get involved with church activities and get involved! Great on your AF days!
                luv, Fluff
                It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

sick of being sick

Hi Sick,

Just wanted to send you a congrats on staying AF and I hope your husband does the same. It's not easy, my boyfriend and I both stopped drinking because we were just "sick of being tired" and yeah the hangovers plus the panic attacks I used to get were just awful, oh gosh yuck no thanks. Now I am able to focus on what I love to do which is training for marathons. My passion is running and I am thankful that I still have my health do it that.

Anywho...best of luck and keep us posted : )

Hugs,
                  Janet
                  AF Since May 2nd 2012

Comment

sick of being sick

imagine how much better you will feel in a few more days!
                    alcohol is terrible for diabetics, as i'm sure you know. with that out of your system, you can only feel better!

congrats and hang around for support!

Comment

sick of being sick

Hi, sick - and Welcome!!

I don't know anything about the supplements people take, but maybe you should consider reading about them. I've read many times where they've helped people with the urges, etc. Might be good to have something, at least in the beginning.

Sounds like your husband is on board - which is GREAT.
                      Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

sick of being sick

Hello, You are over the worst it still might be hard but it will get better every day. RM

Comment

sick of being sick

Have you ever considered acupuncture for the diabetic neuropathy? I love acupuncture.

Your story has touched me. I can feel how hard this is for you guys, yet I can also FEEL how badly you want and need sobriety. Just try it -- One Day At A Time -- why not see if Life can be better? Alcohol will always be there if it is not...But my guess is once you guys jump through this hoop of fire you will be so much better physically, mentally, and spiritually.

May God give you the strength and power to do this.

Many blessings!

Comment

Working...
                          X