temptation tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

temptation tonight

Hey guys, I'm on my 8th day AF, trying to go 30 days and then moderate since I'm just coming out of the binging lifestyle from college. Tonight my boyfriend is taking me to the Olive Garden for valentines day since we work all weekend...I would LOVE to have a glass of wine with dinner, ugh, but i feel like i will be very disappointed in myself for not going all 30 days without a drop of alcohol.

However i keep telling myself that just one glass won't ruin my 30 days and its valentines day why should i be so hard on myself. (I am very competitive with myself!)

Any advice? Tips? Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section...its not an emergency but would like some asap help :thanks:

temptation tonight

Hi there virgo
    The trouble with one, is that it never really is one is it? Not for people like us sadly.
    For me, I see very little point in having just the one. Would you?
    You are doing so well on day 8, Valentines day is only one day out of your whole life, one glass of wine wont make an evening.
    Also, you never hear anyone say "I am glad I drank last night" do you
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

temptation tonight

Think twice about it...

Hi Virgo - just wanted to add my two bits to what Starty said. I read this on a post here a while ago and it makes perfect sense to me and perhaps will help you decide what is best for you. It has to do with how you think about alcohol. I'm an alcoholic and I can't stop at one drink. I believe that applies to all people who have a problem with alcohol, whether or not they like the term "alcoholic". For us, alcohol is poison. If we allow it to, it will slowly kill us. So, after so many days AF, will you "treat" yourself to a glass of wine or a martini? Do you "deserve" that drink because you have been such a good girl these last 8 days by being AF. What I'm asking is this - will you "treat" yourself to a glass of poison? Do you "deserve" to start drinking something that will slowly kill you because once you start, you can't stop? Think about it. You have had 8 successful AF days. Do you really want to have that drink? Do you really want that poison. My guess is that you don't. If you're going to celebrate Valentine's Day with your boyfriend, then celebrate sobriety, too. You will be so glad tomorrow when you wake up and you know exactly what you did the night before and you were able to thoroughly enjoy his company and more importantly, your own. I hope you get this message in time to take a second look and decide to not let alcohol get in the way of enjoying a lovely evening together...
      Be strong...Stirly:l
      For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
      AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

temptation tonight

Hiya Virgo - I would suggest you don't do it- go out have a lovely dinner and order a fancy non al drink -

Do your 30 days and see how you feel then. Having one glass of wine will end all the good work you have done so far. How about ordering TWO desserts instead
        It's time I put my big girl pants on. :grannypants: I hope they fit.

Comment

temptation tonight

see. now this is why i wrote in for advice! There is no point to have that one drink tonight. If i'm going to do my 30 I'm going to do them 100%!! Then I can try the moderation. Thanks guys :-) plus it will save me a good 6-7 dollars just to pass on that one glass.

Comment

temptation tonight

good for you Virgo - have that in your head incase you get tempted.
            Have a lovely evening
            It's time I put my big girl pants on. :grannypants: I hope they fit.

Comment

temptation tonight

I would trust my instincts and refrain from drinking. It's very easy to make exceptions and keep putting off a 30-day alcohol fast. I'm not claiming this will happen to you, but in many cases postponing an alcohol fast prolongs either binge or excessive drinking, which runs the risk of making the problem worse.

On another note, take it from a former wine afficionado; it is perfectly possible to enjoy going out to dinner without a glass of wine.

Comment

temptation tonight

Virgo - I tend to agree with Stirly in the sense that you shouldn't conisder al as a "reward" or "treat". I did so as well - would have been fine if I could only stop at one but I can't. I guess you just have to take a hard look at yourself and decide what is right for you. My problem is drinking at home so I know I will never stop at 1. That's why I guess I also agree with JB in the sense that one glass out might be okay - AS LONG AS YOU STOP AT 1!

You've started something here so why not just go the 30 days? I'm only on day 13 but I am really curious to see how I feel at 30 - I'm feeling better already physically - why not give it a try?

Whatever your decision - we're all here to support you. Good luck and hope you have a lovely dinner!

Jolie
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Working...
                X