PDA

View Full Version : HOW MUCH WEIGHT HAVE YOU LOST SINCE YOU QUIT/CUT DOWN?

Tipplerette
February 4th, 2011, 12:55 PM
This thread was started in order for people like me to get encouragement from people like YOU who have control over your drinking. One of the things that motivate me to cut down on the wine guzzling is the prospect of losing some weight.

If you have found that you have had successful weight loss of even a few pounds when you made the changes with regard to your consumption can you let us know.

Can you tell us what you drank, how much and whether you've quit or been successfully moderating and how much weight you've lost.

By the weigh (thought I would keep that little typo in there) one kilo is one pound x 2.2. Correct me if I am wrong.

Should I have posted this thread in the long term abstainers section?

Tips;)

Rags
February 5th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Hi Tipplerette,
Well, I've dropped a total of 10 kilograms so far, but plateaud out a bit.
Hope to drop another 2 kilos in the next couple of weeks as I'm going overseas to CANADA skiing for a week. Whoopeeeeeee.
There are many excellent posts about the useless calories in alcohol. Alcohol can also slow down fat metabolism, making it harder to lose weight. Considering there are 100 odd calories in a small glass of wine, it is too easy to pile on the weight if you're a heavy drinker like I used to be.

mollyka
February 5th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Tipples , I was a bottle of vodka a day sort of girl;-) one year on I've lost 60 lbs without trying Molly

mollyka
February 5th, 2011, 03:06 AM
Oops that was sposed to b a sad face (posting on poxy phone!) molly

mario
February 5th, 2011, 03:21 AM
I was 133 kg now down to 95kg, thats 21st down to 15st, At one time i was down to 14st, but panning out and toning up now, i hope,i ts another ongoing battle that i have.

RedJib
February 5th, 2011, 11:13 AM
To my disappointment, I haven't lost any weight in 23 days AF. I thought it would start to fall off effortlessly since I wasn't taking in the empty calories, and I've tried to be conscious not to replace junk Al calories with junk-food calories. Bumped up my exercise, too (eg I walked seven miles yesterday), but still, no weight loss.
I'm not letting it bother me too much, though. The important thing is to remain AF, and to shut out all those sneaky little thoughts like 'I might as well have one glass of wine, since I'm not losing any weight anyway and no one would notice.'

techie
February 5th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Before..

http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Random/super-fat-man-on-a-scooter.jpg

After...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JxqHUTypQvc/TPoPe7p4PtI/AAAAAAAAEEo/aDJOUkaJ8S4/s1600/6-fat-man.jpg

Rusty
February 5th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Techie,
:H:H:H:H You sick twist. ;) More, more, more, please.

paguy
February 5th, 2011, 12:14 PM
:H:H

Lovely, Techie... just lovely!

Rusty
February 5th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Yeah, Techie....send him over to my house!

Hi John! I've missed you, honey.

Rusty
February 5th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Tippler,

I had lost 20 pounds and gained 5 back. 50 more pounds to go.

Tipplerette
February 5th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Still giggling about Techie's photos of me. Thanks for replying... Keep it up.

Rags
February 6th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Good snapshots Techie. You orta put 'em on boot camp to remind us whay we're in boot camp!

Rags
February 6th, 2011, 12:50 AM
RedJib;1054610 wrote: To my disappointment, I haven't lost any weight in 23 days AF. I thought it would start to fall off effortlessly since I wasn't taking in the empty calories, and I've tried to be conscious not to replace junk Al calories with junk-food calories. Bumped up my exercise, too (eg I walked seven miles yesterday), but still, no weight loss.
I'm not letting it bother me too much, though. The important thing is to remain AF, and to shut out all those sneaky little thoughts like 'I might as well have one glass of wine, since I'm not losing any weight anyway and no one would notice.'
It will probably start coming off soon. If you are exercising you'll be building muscle and reshaping your body, so take some measurements rather than rely on what the scales are telling you. You've got the right attitude ther! Good work.

Rags
February 6th, 2011, 12:54 AM
mario;1054491 wrote: I was 133 kg now down to 95kg, thats 21st down to 15st, At one time i was down to 14st, but panning out and toning up now, i hope,i ts another ongoing battle that i have.
Mario, you must look like a pin up guy!

I want to drop a further 10 kgs but my body seems to be resisiting...... but I've set myself the beginning of June to get there. I want to be able to get my wedding ring back on. Haven't worn it for years. I reckon that's a pretty good goal. Then I'll start thinking about losing more weight and getting into my wedding dress, well it was a lovely skirt and top.

Sunbeam
February 6th, 2011, 07:41 PM
I'm the same weight as I was 3 years ago, when I joined here. I wasn't a daily heavy drinker, but over-did it too many weekends. It had become a habit every Sunday afternoon. Now I have a couple glasses of wine 1-2 times per week.

choice
February 6th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I've lost 25 pounds in 5 months and 15 days AF. But I exercise around 4 to 5 days a week. My whole journey started because I was upset about my weight and decided to get a trainer. I had to cancel an appointment with her because of a hangover. That was my last hangover. I found MWO that day. At the time I didn't really know I had a drinking problem :confused: I had gained 30 pounds in a very short time 18 months. Now I'm kinda glad I gained the weight, I might not have addressed my drinking problem until later... and I had to quit smoking to keep up with the trainer.

RedJib
February 8th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Still no weight loss (26th day AF), so I decided to try an Atkins-like diet, beginning today. I don't do it by the book, since less than 20 gram of carbs a day makes me cranky and I shrivel up from the diuretic effect --even if I drink water all day. The Atkins approach does burn off the fat, though, no doubt about that.

Gotta avoid developing a kidney stone. A low carb diet is maybe what caused this when I ate that way several years ago, and it was nasty-painful. I heard lemon juice can help prevent those. Anyone have any experience with that?

Jib

Sunnyvalenting
February 10th, 2011, 01:05 AM
I have been abstinent for about 13 months now. I initially gained a few pounds (I was already quite overweight). But for the past 8 month I have been on a conscientious diet and exercise program. I have lost over 56 pounds. I eat about 1400 calories/day and go to the gym daily.
I understand that alcohol lowers our metabolic rate and adds empty calories (many days those were my only calories). I was drinking about 1 liter of vodka a day or more at the end and I am an older (58year) smallish (now) woman.
5 pound to go to get to my goal of 135 pounds.
I never was able to stay on a diet before. Now I can. I think I am building on the success of the abstinence. I still take just a bit of baclofen at night. I think it saved my life
Sunny

aust_boy
February 10th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Ok.

This is probably a good one for me to chime in on.

At my heaviest I was 130kg. Times that by 2.24 for pounds if you are so inclined.

Now I was a big fat hefty beast. I am somewhere between 6'4 and 6'5 though so I mean the fat was spread but I had rolls a plenty.

I quit drinking, started eating REASONABLE portions and stopped the drinking pig out sessions I used to have, quitting drinking alone tore the weight off. That saw me hit 110kg pretty quick. Then I decided to jump on the DUKAN diet and it worked wonders - I totally recommend that diet to anyone if you follow it to the letter, it rocks and it rewires your body I swear. With that diet comes 30mins a day of exercise and I walked. Now I do pushups, chinups, what have you and walk lots. I am into exersize.

I now weigh 91 kg. So that means I lost 39 kg. 87.36 pounds for all you pound people.

I don't really wan't to get any skinnier but being a 31 year old guy more muscle is always good.

So yes, if you quit drinking watch the weight fall off. Especially the face! I used to look like a blowfish!!

rubywillow
February 11th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I've been here since Aug '08. Over this time, I've tried out a lot of things, to find My Way Out. I'm very happy right now with who and where I am, and have been the last nearly 2 years. When I came, I'd recently had a serious (drinking) accident, and was immobilized 6+ months. Before that, I was losing weight, but gained a lot back while I couldn't walk.
I'm happy to say, even tho I can't be as active as I'd like, I'm back down to my lowest weight in a decade. Experiencing the results of not drinking, mentally and emotionally, is the main thing. But as a woman, losing the weight is a gigantic plus. It's a big lift, even if I don't want to admit it, when people are surprised, don't believe my age. It's not just a vanity thing; who we are should shine out, through our smiles and our bodies. I LIKE being able to play chase, climb trees, ride horses, with my grandchildren. Taking care of our weight is the same as taking care of all our health needs.

PS: I've lost 45 pounds. I'd like to lose another 20, even though my docs argue my numbers with me!! :H

Sunnyvalenting
March 26th, 2011, 12:28 AM
I have lost 63 pounds since mid June. Diet plus exercise and no alcohol. It works.
S

Bluejay
April 1st, 2011, 06:12 PM
I'm desparate to take 10 pounds off. Wine is full of sugar and yeast. It's a horrible, nasty carb - ugh.

Good to hear some positive results. Good work everyone!!

Sunnyvalenting
April 2nd, 2011, 12:48 AM
alcohol also decreases the metabolic rate. Many people naturally lose weight if they stop drinking and eat more whole food. they also have enough energy to exercise.
S

Sunnyvalenting
April 2nd, 2011, 12:48 AM
why are you "desperate"?

Tipplerette
April 5th, 2011, 07:19 PM
What seems to be working for me is keeping a "Moderation Journal" not as a way to self-criticize but to just document my eating, drinking and exercise routine. Writing down what I eat, approximately how much, how much I drink per day (with a goal of two 4 oz glasses of red wine max) and what I do for exercise and of course, how I am feeling about it really keeps me focused. The big surprise for me is the way it's cut my alcohol intake; first time anything has worked.

mylife
April 5th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Okay, poor Tip is looking for inspiration!! :H:H

Tipp, I've only made it 27 days AF so far, but what I've noticed is that even though I ate anything I lost about 5 lbs and know if I just tried a LITTLE I could probably lose 10. Right now, I'm just trying to stay AF and making that my main focus. :)

mylife
April 5th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Sorry -- I posted this after the pictures a few pages back -- not realizing there were later posts!

jennyneric
April 5th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Tip there is a free online food journal at myplate.com I love it and have lost 8 lbs with it. it tracks weight food and exercise!

IAD
April 5th, 2011, 07:40 PM
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0PDoX7MtZtNjV8ApvCjzbkF/SIG=126tudupa/EXP=1302079052/**http%3a//skazat.com/images/sketches/skeleton_arm.jpg I actually about 10 lbs., mostly on my drinking arm ! ha!

vynan
September 5th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I have gained 1.5 Kilos in a month....but pure muscle, by weight training.

Vijay

here.i.am
September 5th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Lost 15 lbs!

Since 6/21...need to start working at it a bit harder, still a ways to go! But it feels wonderful not sabotaging my diet by having drinks...once a couple of drinks go down, there goes any willpower right out the door.

Nelz
September 5th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Around 20 pounds, and watching my stomach cave in from the sides!