Sober....what does it mean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've said it before....i used to hate that word. I never understood what it really meant. In my mind the people who were "sober" were just arrogant people who never understood what my problems were and who must have never really had a problem with alcohol. What a difference nine months have made. Sobriety is freedom from the beast and the hell it put me thru. Every year at this time i would pray, beg and hope i would stop drinking in the new year. It never happened because i never had the real determination paired with an actual plan to do it. Earlier this year i went thru a very humiliating, humbling and soul shaking experience while drinking. Something finally clicked and i realized it had to end. I made a plan to taper for a week and at the end of that week i gave the rest of my alcohol to my nephew. It was scary in the beginning, but i stuck to my plan, came and read here everyday for reinforement (still do) and reminded myself every k how great i felt waking up without a hangover.

So now i embrace it and am proud to be sober. It means peacefulness, confidence,
    AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Gosh i hate posting from my phone...

Ok to finish it up. Make next year your year!!! Make a plan, don' t drink NO MATTER WHAT (believe me i know this is harder than it sounds, but even when i was going thru the hardest most stressful times this past year i did not drink because i knew it would not fix anything) and of course come here everyday and read, post and reach out. Somedays reading the posts here are what kept me from drinking.

HAPPY NEW AND SOBER YEAR TOO ALL!!!!!
    AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Red ~ what a wonderful post.

Like you I used to think that 'sober' people were arrogant and worst of all the most boring people on earth. Over the last couple of years I've been privileged to meet in person members of MWO and I can tell you with hand on heart I have never laughed or enjoyed myself meeting like minded sober people in many a long year.

A very Happy and Sober 2012 to you,Red:l
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

In the past when I drank, I didn't really have anything to say about sober people. In the early days when I was drunk, I would wish to be sober, but once I got used to it, that stopped. Now seven months sober, being sober is extremely important to me. I will do everything legally to ensure that I remain sober.
        I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Great posts Red, JC and Alison. Sober was something I never wanted to be for 27 years, then I realized that sober was just being happy and not drinking. Now sobriety equals happiness and living in the moment. Crazy how I fought that for so long. Now sober is my life and I am such a better person for it. Thank you for the thread, it made me remember how grateful I am.

Comment

Yes, having lived both lives.........Ill gladly take sober.

Sober till 21, 21 to 44 knockdown drag out, blackout drunk

Tryin like hell to make it 44 to infinity
            Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Working...
            X