Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I've Learned from MWO

Dear Helpmates,

Would those of you who have found MWO helpful in kicking AL please share short posts you've found useful?

I'm a struggler who reads about plans, motivation, willpower, meditation, etc., but nothing seems to click for me, or else the post becomes too long to absorb.

If something has clicked for you, please share it.

An example of something I read and found helpful (winesucks, maybe): When going out to dinner where AL may pose a problem, wear a bracelet that you can play with-- it distracts and is a reminder to not drink.

Thanks to all willing to share.

Juja
    "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Juja one of my most powerful motivators is reminding myself that I am taking my life back and do not want to give my power to alcohol and the blood sucking corporations that would profit from my lack of control.
    Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Juja, did you ever read Kick the Drink by Jason Vale? I would say that a compilation of things have helped me - a wide variety including reading and posting here, reading lots of books on the subject of alcohol, watching shows like Intervention. I can't guarantee I'm out of the woods because I'm very early on, but those are the thing so far that have helped me.

Comment

What has helped me the most is Baclofen. Aside from that a harm reduction book was the most helpful. When I ever drink I simply buy the smallest bottle and that's it. And I never have any in my house as that is the place I used it so frequently before.
        Baclofen Benefits: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f20/baclofen-benefits-45389.html

:bagdude: "It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult undertaking which more than anything else, will determine its successful outcome."-Williams James

Comment

Reiki has been a huge help to me, combined with asking for help from my higher power, whatever you want to call it. Meditation has been great, even if only for short periods at a time, for clearing all those niggling thoughts & monkey chatter in my head that push me to 'need' a drink - it's so nice to have the right to think of nothing at all, instead of non-stop self-judgement and worry. When that little demon jumps on my shoulder and starts shouting in my ear it has helped to think of it as being his last ditch efforts to get my attention and stay alive.
          AL free since 24 October 2011

Comment

When the urge hits.....tell yourself.....I dont drink. Not a woe is me, why cant I drink like others...a Im not going to drink for the betterment of my mind body and soul.

The redirect your brain to anything else.......EVERY time you feel the urge tell yourself that...eventually you will believe it
            Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

i have been on MWO since 2008 with some bouts of soberity. i just love the support and knowing i can come on here and "talk" whereas i felt so alone concerning this subject. i have now been sober for 2 months because what clicked for me was a DUI. don't let that be your switching point. take control now!!!
              I must suppress the beast within so I can find my way out of the darkness.
              sober since 2/4/12

Comment

That there is a lot of loneliness
                Banned

Comment

Juja, the posts that were most helpful for me was a discussion between people who are on Antabuse. They were talking about how, since they knew that they could not have a drink while on a steady dose of Antabuse, they just stopped thinking about drinking. I tried it and that is exactly how it has worked for me. I no longer have any internal dialogues about whether or not I'm going to drink. I'm not going to drink and I know it. That has been very helpful for me!

The second most helpful thing has been simply not drinking. That might sound trite but it's true. Almost by default, I have found other ways to ease tension, am finding other ways of having fun and am finding things to do that are important and meaningful to me. I was at a BBQ last night where most everyone was drinking beer. I did not miss drinking at all. I was not really into the party mindset because I was busy thinking about all the things I wanted to get done in the morning. Since I woke up today well rested and feeling good, I will do those things today, happily free of any "morning after" regrets.

So, my plan was short. Take a pill once a day. Don't drink. Everything else is falling into place of its own accord.

Good luck, Juja.
                  Ginger

You are here:
                  sigpic

Comment

My takeaway with MWO is quitting does not have to be easy or pleasant although as more time passes it gets easier and sober life is so much more pleasant. I've finally convinced myself it may be difficult but so what??? It's time for it to get done. Consistency is paramount, without it there is no success for me.
                    2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

When my daughter forbade me seeing her family, Juja, that was the last straw.
                      sigpic
                      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Working...
                      X