If not for you.....maybe for them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife decided to take a course called "Family and Addictions this semester.

As you can imagine, my interest was piqued, so I picked up the book and started reading. It didnt take me long to get very interested in it. Ive sort of been kicking around the idea of being an addiction counselor, so why not.

WOW, were my eyes opened as to just what the significant others/family members are going through right along with the dependent(alcoholic).

Thinking to myself, surely that was NOT going on in our family, so I had a heart to heart with wifey. Boy was I wrong. As I fancied myself a very highly functioning Alky, I felt that my family was immune to the effects of my problem.

She was going through some of the things I was reading in this book.

We all sometimes ask, how can we get the strength to stop this disease. I offer, maybe if we can somehow get a handle on just what we are putting other completely innocent people that care about us through, that can give us some motivation.

If not for you......
    Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Really good point Nelz. Would you elaborate on some things that the innocent bystander suffers?
    I think you would make an awesome counselor. Go you!
    Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Nelz

I think this is what bothers me the most. What effect I have had on my family. I know it has not been good and would love to make it up to them. The first thing I can do is be sober. I hope to someday be able to write them a letter to apologize for the time we lost together. I can not replace that time but I sure can make the future be the best it can be and one that we will cherish.

Clear Eyes

Comment

Big message to all of us...I also felt I was a high functioning drinker - my 10 year old was doing drinks for supper the other night and asked me if I wanted an alcohol free beer or an alcohol free juice - I really was not aware as to how aware she was! and she did not give me the choice of wine, obviously not an option in her mind! I had found some AF sparkling wine, that I actually enjoy - I opened the other night and both my girls jumped around to see what the heck I was doing!
        “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

wow....just talking to my son about this the other day
          I love my family more than alcohol.:h
          Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

What do the family members go through? I want to ask Mrs. Fen if she has experienced those things. :thanks:

Comment

Working...
            X