Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily - Monday April 2

Good morning, Fababbers,

The French press is full with a strong French roast brew to get this week into gear.

All your messages yesterday lifted my heavy heart . I shall remember the advice and make this episode another stepping stone in my AF journey.

To all of you up North ? yesterday we had a blizzard (yes, here, in the sunny South) - my newly green grass + freshly planted spring flowers are under 3 inches of snow. And my car battery is flatter than ever.

Have a wonderful week, affies!!!!

I shall sip my coffee daintily and in silence ? lest I raise Sunshine?s wrath ?
    workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Good morning awesome af-ers!

Shue, so darn glad that you kicked us off on this Monday funday. Its going to be a great week i can feel it! Onward....

I am traveling much of this week. I'm going to come up with a plan of action. A couple of the peeps we're visiting have cocktail hour. They are the kind that just drink one. Imagine! I know I can't just have one.
    Have a great day all...
    AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

Hey All, quick check in-really should be getting ready for work :H

Shue-no more ass kicking needed. I did what you did a couple of times only I did it in solitude, not part of a social thing. It will take practice to say and mean, "No Thank You". And you have to repeat it about a hundred times but the more your repeat, the stronger you feel and the more pissed off you feel that "they" just don't get it. But you get over it.

Almost-we don't have to miss out in partaking of cocktail hour or any other event. The only thing that is different is our choice of hydration. So you have a gingerale instead of wine or beer. Big whoop. You're still part of the conversation and I guarantee you'll have a better time because you won't be focusing on getting a second or third etc drink without anyone noticing, you won't be counting, you won't be trying not to slurr your words. Your laughter and happiness will be genuine and you'll be surprised at your own sense of humor!! The hardest event I ever went to was my friend's engagement party in July. I'm sure there were heavy drinkers there and I didn't really know anyone but the bride and groom. Everyone kept pushing drinks on me, especially at the champagne toast but I stook my ground (getting a bit peeved when they wouldn't take no for an answer). the other thing I noticed was I was getting bored! Sure, drinking would have maybe taken that boredom away but I would have made a fool of myself and most likely been picked up for a DUI as we were in the middle of no where and I had a hard enough time finding my way back to the house sober!! I got through it tho, stronger than ever.
      Moral here is: it's not the event we can't participate in, it's the perceived tradition of AL making the event. That's just not true. It's the people who make the event. Not AL.
      Whoops, gotta go!! Later all!
      New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Hi Monday Flyers!

Quick hello to me as I've got to get my butt out the door for work. Raincoat and all...sigh. Rainy Monday, but I'm sure it will be full of wonderful suprises. Will check back with you all later. Yes, Pap, it's all about what we choose for hydration at these outings. Substitute gingerale, water, whatever. My new fav go to "cocktail" which I will be bringing with me to Easter dinner is Goslings Diet Ginger Beer with lime on ice. It's really is refreshing...strong ginger taste if anyone likes ginger and no calories or carbs to boot!

Love ya all and wishing you a fab day abbers!
        Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
        :h

Comment

Good Morning Fabber Abbers near and far.

It's been a long time since I checked in. I've been super busy with work, kids, yoga, etc. Long gone are the days when my energy was sapped away by nonstop drinking. Yahoo!

But still, even almost 4 years later, I remind myself that I am only one drink away. Shue, I can really empathize with your situation. Before I quit for good, I had a 45 day AF stint. I went to a party, was offerred a glass of wine, and I took it. Well, you all know the rest of the story. I drove home too. That was the last time I drank--April 19, 2008. It scared the shit out of me because I was insatiable for drink that night.

Greenie's recommendation is a good one--always have a plan. I still do. For example, some of my fellow teachers were going out for a drink after class last week. None of them are big drinkers mind you but I declined. Why? Because I checked in with myself and I realilzed I was tired, feeling a bit down, and overworked. Not a good recipe for hanging out at a brewery. Other times, it wouldn't have phased me but I knew I was feeling vulnerable. I went home and got a nice sleep instead and woke up feeling like a champ. Oh, the other thing I do when people try to push drinks on me is say "I don't drink." Holds me accountable.

Happy April everyone. Now, I'm spending the rest of my day working on taxes. Ughhh!!!

:hM3
          AF Since April 20, 2008
          4 Years!!!
          :lilheart:

Comment

Good Monday morning, Abbers!

Shue, sorry about the snow and the car battery.:sigh: But you are up and at 'em again! That's what counts!
            AF, where are you travelling? You can always tell people you have acid reflux and the doc told you no AL and no fruit, which they do say. Ginger ale is what he "prescribed."
            Blondie, we got rain early a.m. , then sun, now kind of cloudy. And colder than i like it, but warming up over the week. I am going to seek out some of the ginger beer. I like giner ale, and no calories--a plus!
            Pap3, how's the Pimped Pink Pap Mobile?? Have to see some pics once it's finished
            Watched the segment on dangers of sugar on 60 Minutes last night and am really going to try to cut way back. So i made an Irish Bread this morningbecause i am going to the flower shop after AA meeting, and my friend asked me to make one. Mr TDN insists on keeping half.
            Went to a big AA regional convention on Saturday. Interesting. The we had dinner at my florist friend's house--homemade pizza-and she and I colored Easter eggs. She wanted me to take some home to put out on the dining room table, but--well, DH the Devil Dog would make quick work of that!!:H But I am going to do that with the kids this Wednesday. My neighbors' little girls made a painting and a drawing for me and brought them over yesterday. They are so sweet and adorable! They live across the street, but had never been over here, and it took a bit of convincing that the Three Stooges would not hurt them--just wanted to sniff and give kisses!
            Well, hope everyone has a fantastic sober Monday!
            TDN
            "One day at a time."

Comment

TND ? sorry for sounding like I?m down, I?m not ? my little elves got my car to work again ? but not without a trip to the service ? and I am betting on the sun to melt the snow from my flowers. I am only mad because it snowed late on Sunday ? so I cannot ski on the fresh snow. DH can actually snatch things from the table? Is he in Cirque du Soleil ?

Almost ? a lot could be said for the AF cocktails / mocktails

Pap- I have been ?bored? quite a few times ? there is definitely a breaking point after which all conversation goes downhill. Amen to practicing saying NO !!! More pics of the car !!!! Pimp my ride action shots or something!! Will you have the names or faces or each dog on the backseats?

Blondie, hope you get your nice weekend tomorrow. Girl, you are on track for that Bermuda beach body.

Mo3 ? sooooo helpful for me to hear that even after all this time you still check yourself and have a plan. I don't know what I thought - perhaps that just like healthy eating not drinking could become second nature ... I have also noticed the moments I get weaker ? generally something to do with being tired, hormonal, down or just as you said ? plain vulnerable. I'll remember what you said then.

Cannot wait to get home and try on my new treadmill (yesterday I have declared a ?spudding day?). Will try a run, see how it goes.
              workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

Good morning Fabbers. Thanks for starting us out Shue... Everyone sounds great today. Mof3 if you read this, I just want you to know that when I was first coming here in April of last year, Month 3 for me, I read your posts religiously because you seemed to always have this amazingly healthy modus operandi. You were a HUGE inspiration to me. Others as well, but...

Can I just say ENOUGH SNOW. Thank you.

I have this one acre patch of garden that is down by the river. I have a rather steep road and a zigzag path down the hill to it. My yard has a bit of steep patch there. I decided to work my way up through the bush on the south side in somewhat uncharted territory, and discovered a recent (last summer prob) stash of beer cans and a path leading to the neighbour pool deck. Not visible from his deck unless he comes right over and uses binoculars. Its unmistakably a kids stash. He has grand kids that are about 12 or 14 now, hes a retired doctor and an opinionated bossy old bugger. I bet his gks were making their way over with purloined booze to get away from the old codger, in the bush on my slope. There is a little seating area, tiny really. Huh, I sez to myself. Not a good sign. I shall have to listen carefully from above this summer when they make their annual three week visit, and perhaps suddenly put the canon deer sprinkler on??? Make my way down there and try to convince them that perhaps maybe playing extremely loud rap music in grandpas living room would be a better way to get away from the endless instruction on how to do pretty much everything, and why????

Hello to everyone on this fine Monday. Ima put my onion sets out, I think. Snow is mostly gone off one of the veggie patches. I have to pack for a trip to Victoria. I just want you all to know I think of you very often during the day, as I am messing around in Kasloland.

Here is MY submission for the 70 year old Hooters job interview, coming from the Kootenay Mountains, of Canada in April, and....FROZEN SOLID

OTIFSure
                Kaslo
                Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

WOW Kaslo - 70 year old hooters :H :H
                  Will take me the rest of the day to get that image outta my head :H

It's 2:30 pm & I am finally coming to life. This cold/allergy business is for the birds. I even went to Curves this morning in a fog...........wonder if they noticed!!!!

I will be taking Maxie with me tomorrow to go meet puppy Matilda. I have been approved to adopt her
                  I'm not going to be bringing her home until next week so I'll have time to get ready.
                  Just hope I'm doing the right thing

OK, back to work for me!
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Pap and TDN- thanks for your words! I'll be fine but I can't stand the thought of 20 questions. Weightloss goal has worked so far so I'll stick with it. When I drop the 10 that have found a permanent home, I'll have to figure out what I'll say at that point.

Wow Kas- interesting "mountains" you have there! Hooters will welcome 70 years of solid experience. Hehe
                    Mom- good job declining. A rest is a good thing sometimes.
                    Shue- yes, there will be mocktails in my future. There will be children there so I can raid the soda at the very least.
                    Lav- Matilda is such a cute name for a puppy. Love it!
                    Blonde- I keep reading about ginger beer. Is it with the ginger ale? I've never seen it or is it the same thing???? Forgive my ginger ignorance.

Okeedokee artichokey. Bye bye it's time for me to fly....
                    AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

I think they are supposed to be ice-cold hooters, on the rocks. For those of use seeking alternatives to AL beverages, such as moi.

Also dont let me be the only one entering this competition. Surey other peeps on here have a few faux Boob pix they can enter in the Hooters Job Competition, including the males in this outfit, where tf are they anyways?

kaslo, casting not the first cold stone. CROSS POST Almost, are a Canadian? You have this very Canucky sense of humour...???
                      Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

Yooohooo Fabbinskis! *waving madly*

Omigosh, where has this day gone? I ended up doing some 'gardening' at the barn this morning.. rather unscheduled but it was sunny and comparatively mild and... well, yeah, I was dodging work, I suppose. Btw, my gardening consisted mostly of finding and lugging rocks to make the borders of various flower beds 'n whatnot. I'm sure my back will thank me tonight.

Shue, glad you're back on board and mobile, to boot.
                        Momof3.. you are very wise, indeed.
                        Lav.. good luck introducing Maxi to Mathilda. Hey, you've got an M&M theme going!
                        Kaslo.. now, see THAT'S what I'm talking about! Luminous, rock solid hooters!
                        Blondie, I'm with Almost... what the heck is Ginger Beer?
                        Hello TDN, and whoever I forgot... gotta dash!

One thing is for sure!
                        Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

happy un-hung Monday ABeroooos!

Almostfamous, I'm a fellow traveler and I know what a challenge it can be. alone in hotel rooms in strange places, inundated with AL at every turn. ditto what others are saying about a firm plan of action. I like to even rehearse my drink request before I walk into a restaurant

'pellegrino with lime please" I just repeat that over and over on my way in. ommmmmmm

70yo is the new 40yo didn't you guys hear? so hoot'em if you got'em!

Mom3, hows the yoga biz treating you? I see places all over advertising yoga so I'm thinking it must be a pretty decent market at the moment. or I hope so anyway.

off to make a paleo lunch here in the garlic-flavored batcave.

be well peeps
                          nosce te ipsum
                          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Determinator;1290212 wrote:
                            70yo is the new 40yo didn't you guys hear? so hoot'em if you got'em!
                            I'm out :H
                            Just poking in while waiting for a download. :hallo: Det!!!
                            Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Quick check in from me on day 39. Haven't had time to read properly.will catch up tomorrow.

Sausage x

Comment

Working...
                              X