Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily - Wednesday May 23rd

Good morning, affies,

Apologies for not being more gregarious ? just busy. The French press is ready to go, the pot of tea is waiting in the tea cosy for Pap and the special decaf is on the side for Sugar.

Not much time to chat I am afraid ? I slept in a bit after yesterday and took an executive decision to drive to Romania today for the long weekend (with son + dog). Hubby went to a golf competition with "ze boyz", weather is meant to be rainy (so no hiking) ? and honestly I am in that kind of mood (close to say ?feck it? ) and have a drink. Don't know why but I can "feel " it. I am facing 4 nights on my own with my son, all alone in the house ? temptation would be a bit strong. I am at my weakest when I am on my own, I just know that. Better to be surrounded by the people I love and just go about and ?do? things.

Catch up with you later ? might be over Romanian garlic cauliflower dip.

Wish you all a wonderful AF hump day.
    workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Hey Fabbies

Shue, thanks for the coffee. Mine had a fly in it and it almost ruined my day! I think its brilliant that you have developed the skills to detect the feeling and have decided to take steps toward avoiding it. Thats a major step in the right direction hon. :l

Its still a bit early for that dip but if you have some, keep some for me on the side, OK? I really do want to try it.

My cold is a bit better and someone emailed me a translation job out of the blue yesterday. Thank you universe!!! :bananacomputer: Its not big but its enough to keep me out of trouble for today and a new client is always a sign that others have spoken well of you.

I'll check in with your fabbies later. Have a great hump day up til then.

:h

Comment

Good morning FABs

I suppose I have some bad news... I had some wine yesterday. I suppose it had been brewing for months now and I just wanted to 'check out' for a day. Thing is, I really didn't enjoy it and don't expect it to go on any further. More of a reminder 'oh yeah... that's why I don't do that anymore'

Shue.. well done on proactively making plans.
      Dizzy.. congrats on the job.
      Everyone else.. have a splendid day. Oh.. and if anyone has got some rain to spare.. do send it this way, please? It's kinda scary how dry everything is around here... and it's still only May.
      Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Sunny G - Our addict brains keep glamorizing the drinking and erasing the bad parts and sometimes we have the need to remind ourself why we stopped. All I'm going to say for now is that I'm really glad that the experience confirmed for you that you are on the right path. :l

The rest of you - I came back here as I wanted to say something yesterday but fell asleep too soon. So I ended up being reminded of it on another thread and will paste it here too. It was Kaslo who started this thinking process a while ago with what she said about South Africa and Canada and how little we know about other countries.

So the conversation was about someone's confusion around someone British who kept calling her dinner tea. She kept picturing this women with crustless sandwiches instead of dinner. I then had to giggle as I'm sure this British women is not a high tea kind of gal and said that this clip from Youtube probably explains it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDWR-dOjDA0[/video]]Pippin - Second breakfast - YouTube

Something I find so great about this site is that it has got rid of quite a few stereotypes for me. Before I lived in London, I too used to think the British were a fancy bunch with high tea. Trust me, I sometimes wish I still had that image. I lived in a bad neighbourhood in North London surrounded by Jamaican smack heads with no high class English folk in sight. But being from South Africa, I didn't find that particularly scary.

I digress, before one gets to know someone or spends time somewhere you tend to generalize. Most people think South Africa is all about Sunshine, the Big Five, Nelson Mandela and apartheid. And I used to think all Americans are like those people we see on sitcoms and that Canadians are like a bit north of them and that Celine Deon is one of them. Oh, and I saw Southpark make fun of them too.

Now I'm meeting fantastic people from all over the world and they are shattering stereotypes left, right and centre and I love it.

My psychology lecturer used to say that is the only way to cure the world of racism. Have one hell of a party, invite people from all over the world, and tell every one to just act like themselves and not like they think they should i.e. people from China should not bring typical food from China but bring something they made at home, everyone should talk about general stuff that affects us all...

...and can we please just all call dinner, dinner and tea, tea...?

PS: Is the time on this website EST?
        My deadline today is 4pm EST and I have no idea what time that is?

Comment

Good morning all,

Shue, thanks for the coffee. Enjoy that dip without the slip! Ignore that bad boy as it will lead to nowhere positive. Enjoy that peace and quiet!!!

Dizzy- it's 6:52 eastern standard time right now. The time on the posts always seem wacky to me. Congrats on your translation job.

Mum-glad you checked in. Great job remaing af through tough times. Sending positive thoughts in your direction.

Sunni- this will sound SO weird but when I woke up this morning was I thinking about you!!!! My brain must have know something was up. Don't look back. I know you'll get right back on the train because I can feel it. You sound like you've got the right attitude.

No word from buyers on inspection yet. This is either a good thing or perhaps they are figuring a way to squeeze us for some cash-ola. I would love to say that this process
          doesn't get to me but....

I'm having lunch with a friend who makes me laugh til I cry. That's a good thing in my book.
          I started throwing out all kinds of things. I am the anti-hoarder!!! Now if only I could find a hoarder to come pick it all up. :H
          AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

Good morning, Abbers!

Have been up for over an hour, and have already let the Three Stooges out several times, which means wiping three sets of paws before they come in!:upset: It's not raining now, but still muddy enough to make them very dirty!

Today marks a year since I got my first DUI in a neighboring state. If I c:upset:an mange it, I am going to go back and read my post from that day. Think I had decided to go AF:upset:, but that obviously didn't happen!! I have to say that I remember the whole ordeal vividly, incluing spending the night in the police station, being brought to court the next morning where my attorney sister met me. I am still not over the fact that she wouldn't come to get me the night before because--although she would never admit it--she was at home drinking her nightly wine. Anyway, as you all know, it took me six more months, another DUI, thousands in rehab stints (before and after) to accept that I am an alcoholic. I went to an AA meeting yesterday and talked about that. I NEVER want to go there again.

Sunni, you are one of my absolute favorite people for many reasons, and I just want to say that I am glad you came here and told us about the slip. This disease is so powerful and will always be lurking there trying to get us back on the drinking path. Nobody is immune. And you felt it coming and despite knowing the warning signs and having your tool box, it happened. It didn't feel good--and that is good! You are right back here and I for one am so glad that you are!

On that same topic, the guy at my AA group talked yesterday about his "slip," which led to the DUI last week. I know that he had been drinking well before this, as he told me and my husband how he could have "a beer" now and then. So he had been living a lie--and I am not judging, because that is what I did for so long--but I so hope that he has finally surrendered. He had been known for years as one of the town drunks, and a womanizer (though I wasn't aware of that part), and now his name will be dragged through the mud again. It's amazing that he is at the gym every day--even saw his van yesterday--so he knows what healthy living is all about, but the devil still had a hold of him.

Okay--was supposed to have today off, but 15 boxes arrived yesterday and more coming today. so I have to be in by 11:00. That means that Mr TDN will have to take DH for his vet check up. That isn't his strong point. LOL!

I wish everybody a great AF day, and I offer a special thanks today to all of you who have helped me so much!

TDN
            "One day at a time."

Comment

The usual cross post, Almost!! Hey, I'd love to take what you are throwing out! LOL!! Hope you get good news about your house!!
              "One day at a time."

Comment

Hi TDN- I should have felt a cross post coming! Thanks for sharing your story. I'm so glad that you are in a MUCH better place. I like to go back and read old posts as a reminder sometimes. Hugs!
                AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

Good morning Abbers,

Have to push myself out the door, get to Curves then back here for some work. Kids & dinner to deal with later too.

Sunni, I am sorry you went there
                  I take it you stopped your Antabuse so the thoughts & plan to drink had been there for a while.
                  I suppose I have been 'lucky' in refusing to go back to that place. I know I really wouldn't enjoy it & I would hate disappointing myself
                  Hope you have a better day & move forward!

shue, stay tuned & stay positive, please

Dizzy, I too have enjoyed meeting people from all over the world & learning new meanings to words we use everyday
                  Congrats on the new job ~ I have one starting too!

Almost - I love throwing things away - therapeutically of course

TDN, may our memories of what we have done in the past help keep us on our current path - huh??

OK, have to get going!
                  Have a great AF hump day.
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi everyone
                    Quick check in from me ,just in from work, so havent had time to read properly,before I pick the kids up from school and take them to 2 after school activities!!

Will drop in this eve again when we get back from the swimming club.

Sausage x
                    Day 90

Comment

Kwik check thenout to round up crew.

Sunni, im surprised. You seem sublimely confident and ever positive. Im glad you believe you are not going back there now, but what made you go in the first place? Sorry, i know you probably want me to just so ok thats good, got that out of your system.

Thanks Shu for starting. Go Shu! You are whirlwind in sky. Big whoosh.

Turn, hope your home inspection guy isnt an eegit. They like to make money those guys.

Dizbee I wish I could wax on about Canada and Canadians for a week here but I gotta get out there. We are a very funny, usually soft spoken, somewhat apologetic, politically left leaning, gas guzzling, global warming, ATV ripping contractory SOBs. We dont believe we are racists. Unless you happen to have black grankids you might never notice it. We have tons of people from all around the world coming here to live. Its not an empty wasteland, its actually very beautiful. And very big. Many of us resent American Imperialism. Mostly wrt starting wars and dragging us into them Even tho we may agree a buttkicking is in order. We really hate that Amercans dont see we are different from them, while we copy pretty much everything they do in fasion and culture. But weve never had a civil war and we actually DID kick their butts in 1812. OUr current response to invasion woulld possibly be a recording saying We Surrender, however. (official Rhinoceros party platform). There is a very strong conservative streak, also that runs through all of us. We all complain about our govt and hate politicians. We are not divided. We are not super religous and we suppor womans rights as long as they do the dishes and dont complain about the hockey too much.

Hi to everyone else, i can here movement out there. Beaches today.

Kaslo
                      Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

Shue--If you are feeling weak then I am glad that you're taking action and getting out of town. Do whatever you need to protect your sobriety. I hope you are able to check in while you are gone.

Dizzy--Hooray for you for getting a job! I enjoy chatting with people from around the world too.

Sunni--I'm sorry that you chose to drink. It definitely sounds like something that was well thought out by you. I'm curious how much you had to drink. Did you stop after one or two glasses? Positive vibes to you.

Almost--I love throwing things away. I'm an anti-hoarder too. Makes me feel good, lighter. Home buying/selling is always so stressful. Going out with your friend sounds like a good plan. Have fun.

TDN--A somber anniversary date for you. I feel badly for the man in your AA group thinking that now he can have a beer occasionally. Obviously he can't. Who was he trying to convince? I hope that this is his wake up call.

Lav--You're always on the go, go, go! Work, chickens, grandkids, garden, Curves, whew!

Sausage--Another busy one! I'm not sure if I said it before but congrats on your 90 days. Here's to 100!

Kaslo--I can assure you that most Americans aren't really excited about starting wars either. I'm quite often horrified by our politicians. Looking forward to today's photos.

It's nice and sunny here today and I need to get my butt in gear and get ready for work. It'll be a long shift most likely ending around midnight. I wish I had more energy. Feeling like a sloth. But I am sleeping great. I take some melatonin at night, slid in my ear plugs to drown out my husband's snoring, and it's off to dreamland. I wonder how long it takes for your body to completely recover once you stop drinking? I'm coming up on 100 days and feel better in so many ways, but still feel a bit depressed and lethargic overall.

Comment

Fly- I think of all the years of drinking (very moderately and heavily) so it has to take a while to work its way out. I still have some wicked cravings. I keep ignoring them. Thankfully, it does getting better but I am surprised that they are as strong as they are. It's the scary thought of having to start all over again that keeps me on the af path.

Lav (fellow anti-hoarder)- you are so good with your exercise program. I do very well for a while and then....not so much. After we move, I'm planning on making that a bigger priority.

Kas- waiting for your picture of the day. Pretty please?

Sausage- 90 Days!!!!!! You are one awesome chick!
                          AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

I had a pleasant surprise this morning! I had a CHAT with Caysea who is a long-timer here....doesn't post much, but reads. He has FOUR years AF! It is a great inspiration. I think it's important to have those around us who have been living a good and fulfilling life for many years without alcohol. That's the NORMAL I want and am living and am committed to live for the rest of my life. Speaking of Four Years....our dear DoggyGirl just passed that mark as well yesterday. There's a thread in General Discussion if you want to add your congratulations.

This addiction is powerfully strong. It changes our brains in a forever sort of way. That is why - once free - we simply cannot put al back into our bodies. That's a fact. I accept that. And I PROTECT that. Here is how I think of it: Al is like a flooding river in our brain. The torrents tear deep new channels in our neural pathways and in a way...divert the good flow from the main channel. When we finally reach the point where we see that the AL is destroying all that is good and wonderful in our lives....we begin throwing sandbags into the damaged channels. Every sober day and every sober challenge we overcome...makes that sandbag wall even stronger. And, the river eventually begins to flow calmly again, where it belongs. The moment we drink again....the water begins tearing away at the sandbags.

Sunni...you sprung a little leak. It sure sounds like your plugging it. Don't let Al flood back into your life. All that sandbagging you've done is still in place. You know the weak link now. You don't have to learn this lesson again. Plug that hole and throw a few more sandbags on the pile. Just because you can.

And Shue....this long weekend is a perfect sandbag piling opportunity for you. You have done a GREAT job by recognizing the danger ahead. Now, do something to combat it. Flex those AF muscles and make a detailed PLAN. Just like the early days. If it has to be a minute by minute one...then do it! Read here....make a list of activities to keep busy....throw the armor around your thought process. Whenever a drinking urge/ thought/ craving comes into my head I immediately counter it with a barrage of grateful thoughts about all the really good things that I have now that I am FREE of that heninous addiction. Oh - and get out and move....vigorously. Let your brain get that natural high from getting physical. You will emerge even stronger when this is over.

This is addiction is tough. But we are tougher. There is a lot of strength and determination here. We are not just survivors - we are thrivers! I am grateful we have each other for this trek out of the hell of addiction and into the joy of living....
                            Sober for the Revolution!
                            AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Turn- I wish your post had a "like" option similar to Facebook. It's fantastic. Thank you.
                              AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

Working...
                              X