Just Joy - June Week 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Joy - June Week 4

We should not look back unless it is to derive useful lessons from past errors, and for the purpose of profiting by dearly bought experience.
    George Washington

Sunni, your post reminded me that time is indeed moving forward fast and we almost forgot to start our final June week! Good to see you!

Lav, you are right. At this point it is not so much a craving as a thought or a longing. So much time was so easily filled with alcohol. It still crops up as an option in my mind. Thanks for the pep talk. Also for the mention of the Tudors. I wanted to watch that series but never got around to it. Now that I've finished Bleak House, I will start on the Tudors.

Papmom, you are a dear to want to help the lost dog and its owners. I hope a good ending is just around the corner for them.

LBH, I had forgotten about your tendency toward insomnia. I take an herbal supplement every night that seems to help. Sometimes I wonder if I could do without it, but I am not prepared to try at this point. Oh, and I too have things that I avoid because of their still strong association with alcohol. I hope that with time these fade.

Have a good af Sunday Junesters!
    Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Just Joy - June Week 4

Glad you thought to start a new week Dill.
    My coffee hadn't kicked in yet when I posted on last week's thread this morning :H
    I think it's a big help to recognize the drinking thoughts as just thoughts....nothing more. That's the nature of addictions - they will always reside at the back of our minds but we're OK as long as we keep pushing them back when they make an appearance. It's a bit of work since I'm battling two of them but I am winning
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Just Joy - June Week 4

Howdy all!

This weekend was definitely not what I expected. Bad storms rolled thru Friday evening - lost power at 7:00. Hung out at home yesterday while the generator ran to keep the fridge/freezer going. I ran out of patience by 5:00 yesterday afternoon when the recorded voice told usto expect the power back on by 12:00 p.m. TODAY! Ummm - that's just not acceptable. We took a short drive to get water for the dogs and EVERYONE around us had power! Seems like it just about 10 houses in our little neck that were out. Made several calls to the power company's "supervisors" and they thought the outage had been fixed! Anywho - think the power came back on around 1:00 a.m. this morning. Feel like taking off tomorrow to make up for the lack of stuff I got done around here this weekend - arghhhh!

Great pictures Lav.

Good to see you Mr. G!

Dill - good old George had a way with words - love that quote!

Okay - checking the weather to make sure no more pesky storms are headed our way tonight

Have a great AF night everyone!
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Just Joy - June Week 4

Late check in but oh well!

Jolie, you apparently had a lot more going on weather-wise Friday night. Just had som erain here, no wind, no damage. I hate being without power ~ feels so weird.
        I give you permission to take Monday off :H

I had a nice day with the grandkids, very busy little boys - geez.
        Should make me sleep well tonight (as soon as I wind down that is)
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Just Joy - June Week 4

Good morning everyone

Great to see and hear from so many of you, Sunni, Chill, Jolie, Papmom etc. you are missed when you are not around. You too Rusty when you are on your travels

Seems to be crazy weather world wide. Hubby is in Sweden at the moment and he said it is lashing rain and more like November than June. Here at least it is dry and I have the window cleaner in so house will feel a little cleaner.

Nothing major planned for week just catching up on stuff.

Have a great week everyone.

Rustop

Comment

Just Joy - June Week 4

Good Monday morning everyone,

Sunny to start but the clouds are rolling in quickly ~ thunder storms predicted today.

Off to Curves then I don't know what
            Wishing everyone a fantastic AF Monday!
            Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Just Joy - June Week 4

Just finished my morning outdoor chores and breakfast and thought I would make a quick check in before I head out for exercise. I completely overdid the garden work yesterday and was so wrung out I couldn?t function very well, not sure if it was from the heat, extended exertion, lack of enough food, or just gardener of a certain age syndrome, but I missed checking in here, skipped dinner which I probably really needed to eat, and went to bed at seven. I am fine today in any case and really happy that I didn?t use my depletion as an excuse to drink, it has been a hard trigger for me to get over but this process works if you don?t give in to those temptations when you have not buffered yourself well enough against having them in the first place. So good to see you again Jolie! Hi Dill, Lav, Rusty, Pappy, Chill, Star, Cyn, Rustop, et. al. See you later. Love, Ladybird.
              may we be well

Comment

Just Joy - June Week 4

Hi Guys and a Happy Monday

Had a lovely day yesterday on my date, we hired a boat and rowed down the river in the most beautiful English town of Henley-on-Thames, then had afternoon tea and walked in the park.

I worked extra hard at the gym today and then full steam ahead in finishing my latest assigment no.6. Im feeling satisfied both physically and mentally and looking forward to an evening of relaxation.

LBH - Please look after yourself my friend, its more important for us than others to make sure we dont allow our energy levels to drop so low we get irritable as its a sure trigger for AL to tempt us. Im glad to hear you are feeling better today.
                "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                AF - JAN 1st 2010
                NF - May 1996

Comment

Just Joy - June Week 4

Late check in for me. It's been a beautiful day and tonight will be cool. I'm looking forward to enjoying the cool night air billowing through my bedroom window. LBH, pace yourself dear one!
                  Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Just Joy - June Week 4

2 good pieces of news today: My friend's husband came through the surgery to remove the brain tumor with flying colors!! Unfortunately it was malignant and they can never get the whole thing so it will come back at some point. For now my friend is in field general mode so isn't thinking too much about that part. Her focus is to either get him home or to a rehab center for therapy. He will also start chemo and radiation soon. The other good news is that the sheltie who was lost last weekend, Party, has been found!! She found her way into a backyard, the owners apparently called animal control who had the handler's cell number. Jess called Party's name and she came running to her! Such a dramatic change from last weekend when Party was within 15 feet of Jess but wouldn't come near her and would spook easily. Must have been in shock! I'm thinking the horrendous storms today were the last straw for Party and she said "I'm going home!!". This had to happen today or tomorrow because Jess had to go home once again to tend to an ailing pet. There is one more lost dog that I've been following out in Utah but the general consensus is that he's been stolen and is long gone from the RV park. At any rate I think I'll sleep much better tonite and in the future pledge to not get so involved with things outside my realm of control. Serenity prayer x 10!!

Looking forward to next week when I get Wed AND Friday off!!
                    New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Just Joy - June Week 4

Good morning to all...

Things have really slowed down for the summer at my work so I am making efforts to go with the flow, accept what is, not worry. Last night my son came to visit and do some laundry (ha) and it was a delightful visit. Laughing, enjoying each other, nuturing (we fed him) and I really was into the moment. More and more I am realizing that NOW is all we have, so it creates joy when all the little details are noticed and appreciated. It is especially easy to do when the weather is so perfect.

Lav, I am jealous you have rain, we need it so badly. I think fireworks will be banned as the drought is so severe.

Chill, your date sounded lovely, the weather there must have improved. I was thinking about your comments regarding not feeling comfortable with yourself, your new sober self, and having to interact with the world in a new way. Partying from a young age, it is how you connect with others, and so much time is spent recovering, etc. Learning to be in the world AF is so much different. I sometimes find the hardest thing to deal with is what to do next. I do not like to feel bored, empty, and that is hard for me. Even though I have interests, even thought I have friends, it is a feeling inside. Does any of this make sense to you?

LBH, totally agree with your theory that to stay AF it is important not to overdo it. Whatever IT is, in a particular situation. However, over the weekend, I was very busy with my plants, watering like crazy, weeding and deadheading. There is nothing like being out in the sunshine, smelling my roses, appreciating the colors, and doing my part to keep things looking good. I noticed scratches on my arms and legs, but was so into it that I didn't feel a thing.

Pap, so happy the doggies were found. I realize you have a heart for your breed, I once felt like that about greyhounds. I have a friend who is into helping people adopt animals from shelters, she works hard and at times it is heartbreaking. I often think of all the good she does. Are you enjoying your summer? I wanted to tell you about a friend of mine who put out an application for a job, did not hear after six weeks and assumed it was over. Three months later she is in the first round of interviews. You just never know. I am thinking of applying for an adjunct teaching job, for the experience. Again, opportunities arise when you risk new things. Are you still doing the sample job? Would love to know how it is going.

Hey Dill, lovely cool weather here too. I slept with the window open and it is lovely.

Greetings to Rustop, Rusty, Jolie, and all. Have a great AF day.
                      Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

Just Joy - June Week 4

Good morning group!

On my iPad, please excuse the typos. I still need to figure out how to turn off the autocorrect feature,it can be annoying.

I'm watching my 14 month old grandson gobble up a scrambled egg - complements of my chickens of course :H

Beautiful start to the day, cool & clear. I surely would be missing all this if I was still residing in hangover-ville

Wishing everyone a terrific AF Tuesday!
                        Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Just Joy - June Week 4

Star, I am so glad you and your son could get some distance and really enjoy one another, he sounds like such a quirky soul. Thank you as usual for your thoughtful post. As I think I have mentioned, after a couple of months AF, I too tend to start feeling at odds, for me I feel estranged, even like a stranger in my own skin. In thinking back to how I was before I ?discovered? alcohol I recognize that this feeling was at my core, under the surface, all the time, just masked by lots of schooling, travel, humor, anything that would let me keep up some sort of cover story. It seems that if I am to remain AF I do have to create, become something more genuine. Ms. Pappy, I completely can related to how you get your worry on for things far beyond your control, as you know my knuckles have been white for things they can never personally fix, it is hard for me to get a balance between holding knowledge, being a witness, caring, and emotionally going into a tizzy. Enjoy your grandchildren today, Lav. Hi Dill, Rustop, Rusty et. al. Love, Ladybird.
                          may we be well

Comment

Just Joy - June Week 4

Learning to be in the world AF is so much different. I sometimes find the hardest thing to deal with is what to do next. I do not like to feel bored, empty, and that is hard for me. Even though I have interests, even thought I have friends, it is a feeling inside. Does any of this make sense to you?
                            Star, you hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what I was feeling over the weekend. I'm glad it isn't a constant for me. Very hard to deal with. Thank you for the thoughtful post.

Pappy, Do what you can to keep from stressing over things beyond your control. I know that is easier said than done, but it is very important. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing!

Lav, follow LBH's lead and get yourself a wireless keyboard for that Ipad. It had never even occurred to me until LadyB talked about hers. Now I am planning a trip to Best Buy to scope one out for Mr. D for his upcoming birthday.

LadyB, in thinking back to how I was before alcohol I do not find I had that empty/lost feeling that frequently visits me now. I didn't drink to fill a void but just to have fun. Unfortunately the alcohol for fun became alcohol for unwinding and then alcohol for escape. I created myself a problem by letting alcohol become so important to me that learning to live without it leaves me with the occasional emptiness and unease. It's not as overwhelming and constant as it was when we signed on to MWO, but it still crops up more frequently than I like.

Off to take a walk in the woods and fields and look for the internal peace/contentment that used to come so easily in my childhood. I spent so much of my youth with my friends, exploring the woods and playing in the creek. I feel so lucky to have had that.
                            Dill

Comment

Just Joy - June Week 4

Ah, the peace when 1 kid is napping

Star, I really enjoy spending time with my grown up kids! They are quite decent people, pleasant, actually. Glad you had that time with your son last night too.

LBH, I've been practicing being a witness & not judging....it gets easier! And the decreased stress level,is a bonus

Dill, i just took the time to look up turning off the autocorrect feature. Now the typos are all my own fault :H
                              You can buy a wirelss keyboard for about $69 online. I actually like the built in keypad & don't feel like having to keep yet another piece of equipment out of all the little hands

BTW, Chopra is offering another free 21 day meditation program. I am signed up!!!!! You probably received an email if you've done a previous 21 day challenge.
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                              X