Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily - Wednesday, August 8th

Wakey wakey, eggs and bakey

Early AM is my favorite time in Shueland. I open all the windows on the guest bedroom (now work out room) - I hear the canary singing from next door - so do my cats and they eye it with yearning. I take in the clear view over the city and my lovely fiery geraniums (my AF project). I check your posts on the ipad, while I am doing my treadmill thing. I can do this because I wake up clear headed.

Today I am full of beans and ready to take on the world. I am sure my enthusiasm will wane as the day goes by – with loads of unpleasant things in work. These days I feel like I am swimming upstream.

The French press is brewing nicely – there’s some apricot cake for whoever needs a boost. Pap, there’s some Earl Grey for you too. TND, I’ve got the EVCO out for you, sweetie, just know that I am thinking of you and hope Bud is not suffering too much. I miss you here.

Mick, how did it go yesterday? Details … (I loved your PM, made me laugh in the evening)

porqoui;1361061 wrote:
    Been a long time since I enjoyed just putzing with no guilt feelings about putting things off, meaning dealing with life.
    Porqoui, I just loved that – Sunday is my day for doing that (preferably in bikinis) - while my boys are at the golf.

Lifechange
    – my neighbor’s 15 y old daughter is coming over today (she wants me to teach her how to walk in heels); her dad is flabbergasted and muttered “if you MUST … I suppose Mrs. Shueaddict is the best [smirk]!”. I kindly reminded him that I tutored her at math for years so I cannot be that bad of an influence. Enjoy the little time left with the wee girls (even waking up in the middle of the night to a sobbing girl, is she OK now?)

Sunflower
    – I remember getting to day 12 on my first quit ever (cold turkey … really cold … no supplements) – I was still feeling like I’ve been hit by a bus. It keeps getting better.

Cantoo, Young at heart, Lav
    , wish you all a great humpday, fabulous affers!
    workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Wow Shue..you beat me..I have just wriiten one and was about to post it..great to see you up and about early again
    Went pretty well yesterday, only serious damage was to my wallet...but 21 is only once.She is very into the 50s early 60s, so there was all sorts of stuff appearing..perfumes Vivian Westwood earings blah blah .She is also very into Audrey Hepburn..so I got her an original cinema poster for my fair lady and had it framed up!
    Couldnt have done too bad..must have made all the right noises I am still here!!

Now this bit is interesting..... quote: Sunday, with my boys at golf is my day for doing that (preferably in bikinis).
    Is it you in a bikini ..or the boys :H:H:H:H

Just been into the garden and took these for you!!

Have a nice af day

Mick
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

awww, the flowers are lovely - I have 3 varieties - but my favorites are the cascading geraniums. It takes them longer to reach the full effect but when they do they look fantastic.

I am glad to see my bad English makes you laugh !!!

Vivienne Westwood earings? you are the best dad !!!
      workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

Morning Shue, Mick and all to come.

Mick, glad you not only survived the 21 but sounds like your framed poster was a hit.

Shue
        , had to read your post twice then realized you weren't the one golfing! Didn't think you could get on a course in a bikini:H

I got nothing. No great words of wisdom, no ranting vent required, no dreading anything. What a strange feeling.

Gotta say I wish I could blame AL for thinking it was Monday all day yesterday but guess I have to admit it may just be the old grey cells falling asleep.

Have a great AF Wednesday PQ

Comment

Happy Humpday Abbers!

Time flies, huh?
          Nothing radical going on in Lavland at the moment & I must get out to my exercise joint.
          Will check in later! Good coffee shue Hi Mick & porqoui!
          Have a terrific AF day everyone!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Morning, abbers! I woke up on Day 3 feeling pleasantly surprised to be relieved that I haven't had a drink in a few days. Nice surprise.

Mick, 21 is such a wonderful age! Sounds like you are a good dad!

I hope you have a great exercise session, Shue.

PQ, I fear that brain farts keep increasing, even without the influence of AL.

Enjoy your day, Lavande.

Well, I'm off to get ready for work. It is going to end up being a busier day than I anticipated, so off to the races.
            AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

hello all you wonderful people!!!
              today i'm sooooo tired i could die! i've tried everything from going to the gym (embarassing! i couldn't stop yawning) to having a nyp to taking a shower to eating all the chocolate in the house. is there any more of that apricot cake left? damn, i'll be sorry if i missed it!
              i haven't been sleeping well at all and am thinking of giving up coffee for awhile--

Shue, i'm very happy to see you all chirpy chirp! and i can't think of a better place to go to get all dressed up in gorgeous shoes than your house. that's one lucky girl! thanks for asking about louisa--everything is ok now but it was a pretty hefty weight she'd been carrying around. i am so thankful i was able to be 100% there for her that night. i shudder to think of how it could have been.

Mick, you are one cool dad, i have to say. i'm glad you all had a nice celebration. why is your mood frustrated? is it 'cause Shue beat you to it this morning?:H i hope all is well with you.

Porquoi, i also really liked that quote. when we're sober there's very little we have to feel guilty about, isn't there? i never want to go back to the other life again.

hi to Sunflower! and Lav!! i don't know what curves is but i'm going to google it. a gym?

i'm off to rent a film--'cause i'm sick of the olympics that's on the whole evening in my house. there i said it.! i need some recommendations if anyone has one. have any of you seen a good film lately?
              have a wonderful afternoon/evening,
              Life

Comment

hello to Youngatheart, too! hope you're surviving your busy day!! what sort of work do you do?
                how are you, Cantoo?

here's something i read on spiritual river that's been helping me to think positively--

My decision not to use al each day is my highest truth and ultimate goal. every choice i make in life from this moment forward must support that decision. every positive change in my life that i make must support the idea of Daily Abstinence! ZERO tolerance policy. everything i do in life should support that decision and i seek to make everything work around that one truth.!!!

i always need a lot of repitition! good though, eh? it helps me a lot to think in terms of every decision. every little one is important right now.

Comment

Good afternoon Abbers,

Life, yes - Curves is an exercise place for us mature ladies :H
                  It's a lot of fun, you do a 30 minute circuit of cardio & machines. It seems to be enough to get your metabolism in gear because I have been able to kick off 10 pounds this year
                  The ladies there have become good egg customers too
                  Are you taking a good Vit B complex? It's areally important supplement for women. Sleep is something that disappeared from my life at age 42 (menopause symptoms started night sweats, etc). I load myself up with melatonin before I go to bed now & it helps. No caffeine or exercise in the evenings, darken the room...all that stuff

YAH, I am actually sitting on the state line. I have a short 1/4 mile walk into Fairhill, MD. Glad to hear you are doing well!

Now if this weather would just clear the hell out
                  Hot, humid & the threat of storms on the forecast again, yuck.
                  Grateful to be AF for so many reasons! For instance my son & his family just called looking for dinner tonight & I can happily get a meal together for all of us & play with the grandsons tonight.

Life is good
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi everyone! Everyone seems well. I went to a meeting today, they were not even talking about al....rather how to live. But, once I left I found myself having a great romance with the drink. Not drink today....but, more "I really had fun when my husband and I would go out...and be able to just let our cares go for an evening".

We can go out and enjoy each others company without al, but we don't seem to know how to shut our brains off from the stresses and worries of life. Sure, they were still there the next day...I miss just not caring about them for a few hours....I think it's my brain telling me it needs a break?

Maybe I need to start meditating daily. Anyways....in the end i do not plan to drink today. But, those thoughts bother me. They bother me because my little brain can not see how to achieve that without drinking.

In truth, that was my goal with drinking. Drink so my damn brain will shut up so I can have a break.

Just throwing it out there...as I am sure I am not the only one to experience this.

Comment

i so hear you, Sunflower. since writing my last post, my boyfriend has come home and he and his best friend (who's visiting from italy and staying with us for 3 weeks.--and i love him!) are sitting on the sofa watching the olympics, drinking a beer (sharing a beer) and planning to have a brandy after (the friend got a bottle last night for his birthday). my bf supports me and doesn't drink when we're alone. there's never al in the house if i don't want there to be. but i see now how much he enjoys it (and probably misses it) and i do feel left out EVEN though i DONT want to drink. tomorrow night they're going out for a beer and i've said i have other plans--and friday night there's a party here in our house. i don't feel like i'm handling it so well 'cause i feel upset and a bit angry--normally the 3 of us would hang out together.
                      anyway--i understand what you mean. and i'm also interested to hear how others feel about this. i guess i know. and it doesn't help when one is tired. i'm going to hide in my room with a film!
                      and a nice hot tea.
                      Life

Comment

Sunflower, meditation IS the way to turn your brain off for a while without pickling it in AL
                        I posted these links in the Newbies Nest today but go ahead & take a look:
                        www.chopra.com
                        Wildmind Buddhist Meditation - Learn Meditation Online

They offer easy, guided mediattions, nice relaxing music, etc. Make meditation your new habit

Life, let those guys do whatever they are going to do & go occupy yourself with something else. Leave the house, go out & do something or close yourself up at home with some decent headphones & check out the meditations. Just remove yourself from them, forget about them & doing something good for YOU!

Wishing everyone a peaceful night!
                        Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Thanks Lav.....I'll definitely check out the links. I do have several guided meditations....now I just need to use them!

Last night I could not sleep, so I dug out my "fall asleep fast" meditation....out in 10 minutes flat. Slept so deeply I was up early and did yoga.

However, I felt drained by noon....and the al thoughts just wanted to come out and play with me. The reality is as fun as those times were....they only lasted 2 hours and then hubby was done....and I kept right on going.

Life...Hang in there....that has to hard. Al still loves to torture us. No al in our house....company or not. Everyone respects it so much.....they no longer come over

Comment

Hi all -

Sunflower, I agree with Lav on the Meditation. I went to a mindfulness retreat a few times and one trick I learned to calm the brain was to close my eyes and look towards your "3rd eye" - the place right above your nose - between yor eyebrows. Apparently, the brain cannot do too much when you're' looking that way.

LifeChange- your BF may enjoy a brew, but he may not miss it as much as you think. I had to accept the fact that most of the people around me don't get the cravings I get re: a martini or a glass of wine....

I'm happy to say this week has been somewhat low scale on the cravings front - I'm a lot nervous about next week when I'll be on the road again....

Love reading all of your posts.

Comment

Working...
                            X