Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily~Sunday, August 19

Good morning, Abbers!
    Filling in for Mick with coffee duty today! French Roast is especially good this a.m. No treats, althogh I could bring out the delectable pastries I bought for friends coming for dinner tonight I am preparing my orzo salad with feta before work, then my tomato pie when I get home around 3:30.
    Cooler weather here, and it is supposed to be a perfect summer day, according to the meteorologist. Glad I am off work early.
    Had my first counseling session yesterday. Very nice older lady. She saw my case as a "mess," with the two DUIS in different states, my not having completed (not intentionally) what I needed for the first one. She was pretty surprised that I have to do six hours of counseling and have that Interlock device on my car for a year. I will be meeting with her for a 2 hour session a week from Monday and need to get some release forms faxed so that she can start working on making sure I complete everything before December. But I didn't feel anxious or in need of a drink--just relieved that I am working on staying sober. She was very open to MWO as a support system, as opposed to AA. However, she told me to do some AA meetings and keep a record, as the DMV looks favorably on that. And I have to do two meetings (only!) for the first DUI. And I have to find MADD so I can do a meeting.
    When I was waiting for my appt, a guy came out of the office, and it is somebody I worked with last summer. It was a bit embarrassing, but more for him, as he said he is trying to get his license back after seven years!!
    Before work, I went over to see my husband at the outdoor chili contest festival. Noticed he was talking to somebody, but was already next to them when I realized it was our town police chief, "affectionately" dubbed Barney Fife! I thought I would die, but held it together and spoke to him. He couldn't look me in the eye, and I wanted to poke his eye out, because he insisted on giving me the most punitive sentence he could--he is not the officer who arrested me, but the police prosecutor. He did ask how I was doing, and I told him I was doing great and had started my manadatory counseling. Mr TDN was on edge, as I know he thought I might completely ignore the man or, worse, let him have it. The reason he was so determined to see me get the most severe punishment is because we had complained over the years about the speeders on our road, and even had to go to a selectmen's meeting at one point, as he refuses to do anything about it. A well known family has their summer compound at the end of our road, and they ususally have one or two construction projects going, and the workmen speed up and down. The family loves speed, too, and it is really ridiculous. And being a small minded idiot, the chief doesn't like it when people complain. And we think he is paid off by said family. Enough said.
    Saw a woman who used to come to AA impaired on the street, and she was obviously on something. Very sad. Family is a prominent one in town, and this poor woman seems unable to get well. But for the grace of God. . .
    Anyway, Lilly, your friends don't sound like real friends to me. And the one with the hangover--probably angry because you are sober and she is not! I'm sure that you came through that even stronger and more determined. No hangovers for you I looked at my co-worker yesterday--she is taking this coming week off, leaving me in somewhat of a lucrch for a big sale next weekend--and I clearly see that she wanted to keep me as a drinking ally, and now keeps her drinking (and pills?) a secret. But I can't control that, and am actually happy to have a break from her.
    Okay, enough from me for right now!
    PQ, I hope you are doing better. Come on and post today.
    I wish everyone a very happy and AF Sunday!!
    TDN
    "One day at a time."

Damn you make a good french roast, TDN! thank you. go ahead and offer us the pastries for the guests! they'll never know. what is in your orzo salad besides feta? i love orzo!-- and is the tomato pie like a quiche type dish? sounds delicious.

speaking of cooking. i've just been asked to do a private cooking course at the end of sept. courses are not my strong point (i'm quite shy with a people i don't know and especially if i'm the "center" of attention) but i feel like i should do it for the money and the experience. i've been trying to be very careful about what i take on as i tend always to plan more than i'm capable of doing. i always forget there are only 24 hours in the day!--i think my drinking has been a result at times of the stress i put on myself to do things i don't really want to do because i think i should. on the other hand, times are a bit tough now as far as work and money go. do any of you have thoughts on that? i read recently that the first 90 days you should be extra gentle with yourself.??

nice to see you Porquoi. please continue to let us know how you are!

Lav, i got to flex that muscle last night at dinner out (sparkling water, please!) and after as those darned guys drank brandy. i just made myself a nice tea and signed on here to see how you all were--then i turned on a film. when we went to bed i asked my bf if he missed drinking when we are alone-- and he said no, this is just a special occasion with his friend being here. on wed. this flat will be af once more!! it is definately easier not to have any around-- but i am enjoying flexing a bit and getting stronger. you were right that it is getting easier!

Comment

Shue, i hope you are continuing to have a wonderful vacation! i think as well that you should keep reminding your husband how important it is to you that he respect the fact that you are NOT drinking and won't be in the future-- and that it doesn't help when he offers you drinks. i think i would be in big trouble if someone, who knew how hard i was working not to drink, was offering me drinks. good on you for staying strong! i just read an interesting brochure from aa called, "so you love an alcoholic" and though i still cringe at the word alcoholic, i thought it was very nicely written and made it quite clear in a very "easy to really understand way" what this disease is--

DG thanks for all the great info! it always helps me to read the facts again and again. i can't remember what you are studying? it has to do with social work?

Lilly, i'm thinking you should avoid that particular friend for at LEAST awhile. someone who is hungover from 2 bottles of wine the night before has no idea about who she's calling boring. i know for a fact, in the short time that we've been aquainted, that you are in no way boring. that's probably one of the last adjectives i'd use to describe Lilly. it's great you had a close friend to help you clarify that. this is all difficult at first but we know--from others here--that the self esteem/confidence is built. the self love--and then we won't question those sorts of comments anymore. you sound so strong at 50 days!!!! you're doing it, girl!

Comment

Mick, i hopo you're having a really good day! i was up on the roof today pulling out weeds--still have a few hours to do tomorrow, then i will add a bit of the hornmeal, etc, and soil and replant a bit. do you have any suggestions for things that still have a chance to grow? i was thinking rocket, hokaido pumpkins, winter radishes, some sort of autumn flower? do you know any? anything else you know of? the reason i'm in a bit of a panic is because this is a work related project..ughhh! one i didn't really want to do but was talked in to. i'm working on learning to say no. slowly but surely i'm improving.

a wonderful sunday to you all! today is a real summer day--clear blue skies and 32C!
        Life

Comment

Good morning Abbers,

Up bright & early with the chickens & Matilda this morning :H
          But it's a beautiful day here, 55 degrees & no humidity to speak of ~ finally!

TDN, I'm beginning to think you need to change your address
          I am fully aware of the small town politics & general BS you mentioned. It's like trying to live among the cool & uncool kids in junior high school
          Glad you are making progress, the counseler sounds like she's going to help you meet your goal of driving again - great!
          F the police chief......they all have small weenies anyway :H

Lifechange, I can almost see your muscles growing
          Good for you & hang in there, you are doing great!

I plan to get outside to enjoy this beautiful day
          Wishing a good one for everyone.

Welcome back Marshy - hope GF gets well soon!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

tnd, I'll take another mug of French Roast. I was kind of hoping you were gong to roast Barney.

Life, can you give me a cooking course? I find cooking is a life saviour on this holiday, I enjoy iy and it gives me something to do and later stuff my face with. I ate more han intended last night, I must admitt I was aware of the wine all around me so I just filled my plate one more time. Not ideal, but at least it is nt liquid.

Mick, rise and shine, we miss you here.

I am off for another golf lesson later, dang! the hot Swedish pro is tied up teaching the kids, mine included, they are great buddies. So I am stuck with the boring old Dutch pro, not quite the same ...

I am cooking smoked salmon fettucine for dinner, no guests and no wine. phew!
            workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

lilly, I am still going through that phase where people tell me " oh, you are still not drinking!" and you know what they mean when they call you "boring" ....

doggy, interesting post . I am curious what they will come up with in 2013.

porquoi, I don't have any word of wisdom for depression. I am just sending you a super big hug, not matter how low you feel now, drinking will just make depression worse. vent here about what's troubling you. we are patient listeners. it might help.

cannot remember exactly the quote but it went like:

"those who are trying to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim"
              workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

Morning everyone..day 4 but I still haven't been able to sleep. Today is my normal home group meeting and I'm really scared to go. I still feel unworthy but think I should suck it up and go anyways. I'll let you know if I do. I've been checking out Amoryn on the net and maybe I should give it a try. Thanks for all the understanding and support.

Comment

hi Porquoi,
                  sending lots of strength your way.! i think a normal home group would be very supportive of you now-- :l

Comment

Good morning Fabsters. Read all the posts, would like to encourage Life to go ahead and teach that course. Focusing on something is good thing. Shue you are doing really well also. I was thinking about your situation yesterday, as I wandered into the Iron Man Triatholon here in Kelowna by mistake and ended up photographing a bunch of kids swimming running biking their little hearts out. Its possible to withhold the gory details, and make an even bigger impression on your husb that you cannot drink. What you dont say can be even more powerful than what you do say. What happens to us when we drink is really not good, and we dont want to go there. Nuff said.

PQ day four, well done. Sleep eluded me for ages. But not any more, thank goodness. I think that is quite common, post quit.

TDN I can see completely how you dont seem like the drunk driving type. My guess is you are very well respected as a genteel and refined person, church going, fluent in French, great cook, dog lover etc. And rightly so, as you ARE all of those things. And Old Barney Fife may seem like a heavy handed idiotic cop, but my guess is he looks at what speed does, and what drunks do behind the wheel, and all it takes is ONE of those and it kind of makes a lifelong impression on a police officer. When they have to help pull dead children out of a smashed up car because of a drunk driver, even once, never mind several times a year, they take kind of a dim view of them. Im just sayin. Every single one of us who have been in this position, of having been behind the wheel of a car and no memory of it, because of drinking, we were potentially Barneys nemisis. I am not rooting for Barney here, but drinking and driving is the worse consequence of being a drunk, maybe a refined quiet drinker, but a drunk all the same. I guess I have a reason for having no patience for people who complain about the severity of their sentences for this felony. And I deeply respect people who simply do what ever they can to make sure they dont end up drinking and driving, ever again. I wish the guy that put me in hospital for a YEAR and pretty much wrecked my life for a long time saw some consequences but he walked away, and went on to kill someone else. That happens. Too much. So I am sorry if I am seeming a bit harsh, but when we dont face our realities, we end up back drinking and potentially, driving while drinking.
                    Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

Hi fABbies!

Picking up from yesterday?

Lilly ? love that about honesty. I agree about this importance. And sometimes we need each other in recovery to SEE the truth. Sometimes I don?t realize I?m not being honest with myself, but I?m grateful (once I get over myself, LOL) when a fellow in recovery cares enough to point it out. I?m sorry your friend said hurtful things. Maybe you will be able to retain this friendship or maybe not. I too became ?boring? to my drinking buddies. Truth is, they became ?boring? to me too. In the old days I could sit around for hours on end with a gal pal over lunch?.that became dinner and drink and drink and talk and talk and talk (often repeating!). I?m just not interesting in sitting around and shooting the breeze ad nauseum any more. So the drifting was OK with me too. I like this little ditty to remind me about relationships ? sometimes they are not meant to be forever. http://www.danceadts.com/newarticles...friendship.pdf

TDN ? thanks for getting us going! I love that you looked the police dude straight in the eye. Sad about the woman you saw on the street. More evidence that all the money in the world can?t prevent or stop the progression of addiction. Recovery is an inside job. I just want to remain humble and on the right path, and remember that it could be me on that street.

Lifechange ? sounds like your BF is really supportive and that is awesome. We have to remember that truly normal drinkers do not view alcohol as HIGHLY IMPORTANT like we do/did. My husband is a truly normal drinker and can take or leave alcohol. He will have a beer (yes, one?something I have NEVER experienced! :H) with his buddies after dog training. But he is fine not having AL in our house. This seemed so strange to me at first until I finally understood that he just doesn?t care that much about AL, and he LOVES me! I?m glad you have a partner like that in your life! I am studying to be an addiction counselor. I have one more semester in the classroom and then internship!

F the police chief......they all have small weenies anyway :H
                      OMG I nearly peed my pants when I saw that Lav! You just get feistier by the day! :H I will remember this every time I see my BIL who is a retired cop. That might explain why his wife decided to have an affair????

Shue ? I want to come have dinner at your house! Too bad the kids got the hot golf pro! :H

PQ ? I hope you decided to go to your home group. I KNOW you will be welcomed with open arms ? that?s just how it goes. If this were easy, there would be no need for AA, MWO, etc. etc. We suffer from a chronic relapsing problem. Don?t worry about perfection ? just worry about giving it your best shot, OK? I hope the Amoryn helps!

Kas ? interesting and valid perspective on how/why police see drunk driving the way they do.

This wasn?t my plan, but my garden decided that today would be another day for tomato canning. So 6 more quarters are in the water bath right now.

One thing is for sure!!

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hello, all!

Just checking in on Day 14. I'm proud that I made it this long, and it is getting easier.

I don't have much to say, and I enjoy reading all of your posts.

Good for you getting back on the wagon, PQ.

Have a good day, all!

YahYah
                        AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Hi all I made it to my home group this morning and I'm so glad I did. I actually went early so I wouldn't chicken out. My sponsor was there and right away she knew I was in trouble. Yes they welcomed me with open arms, no judgement and alot of the discussion was around reaching out. I actually shared and boy it was good to be honest with everyone. Everyone was so supportive and I think I might actually be able to sleep tonight. Thanks for the support here as well. I guess I need to reachout more and start doing the work instead of just talking the talk. Will check in tomorrow morning. Hey I can actually sign off with my PQ again.

Comment

I'm so happy you went back, PQ. Good job!
                            AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

I will not be posting here for awhile. I am in full out relapse. I saw it coming as much as I tried to get through it. I'll be back....when I am back on track.

Comment

Working...
                              X