Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly AA Thread - Aug. 27 - Sept. 2

Everyone:

We had a small memorial service for an AA member who died recently. After some short readings by a minister friend of the program, her friends got up & spoke about her. She died sober, thank God.

The BB story was one I have read before. The part of it that resonated w/me was at the end. The person in the story spoke about staying sober regardless of what life brings your way. He had many sad challenges in sobriety & did not have to drink. Drinking doesn't help anything. Whatever life brings is still there when we sober up. Facing & working through the difficulties of life has been one of my biggest challenges. I ran away from them for so long through drinking that I had to learn all over again how to cope. Each time I get through something difficult, it gives me confidence for the next time.

We had one of those lively, contentious business meetings last night. AA teaches us so many things. Last night's meeting was a lesson in working through conflicts. There was plenty of arguing, huffiness, etc., but in end, we all put aside our differences...we're part of a fellowship.

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Hi Retteacher...
    I too had a business meeting yesterday. First one I've been to. They were glad I showed up as there is only ever 2 of them :H. It was also a birthday meeting. A 4yr member accepted his birthday card and then went on to lecture (15 min) everyone about the working's of AA. I left as soon as it was politely possible. I'm really glad this wasn't my first meeting as I wouldn't be going back. We're chatting on another thread about taking what you need and leaving the rest. I definetly left that behind!
    Just wanted to say thanks for keeping this thread going. I'm often reading it but seldom post.
    We talked about Step 11 (I'm on step 3) and I found out I don't have to be at that step to use it. That was good to hear. Anyways just wanted to say thanks and have a great AF day. PQ

Comment

PQ: The long-winded types get to me also. I guess you have to take the bad w/the good. We've put wording in our preamble about limiting your sharings to 2 - 3 minutes so that everyone has a chance to share. That doesn't stop some people however.

I've been working on step 11. I'm not a natural meditator, as I really like to keep very active. However, I can see the benefit of "conscious contact." I too have heard that you can begin step 11 immediately.

Mary
      October 3, 2012

Comment

I only recently joined AA, and thought I will come here to share... So far so good, attending 4 different meetings, maybe I find "the one", maybe it stays like this. It makes sense to me, and I am enjoying the Big Book!
        Step 1 was easy for me, mainly thanks to MWO I think
        I have never been a part of a thread, but this feels comfortable!!! Maybe I will even "tell my story"! lol
        Have a super day, spring is sneaking up on us here in Africa, my Jasmine s in full bloom!
        Love, Sol xxx

Comment

Sol: We'd love to see your story & welcome to the thread. I don't love all meetings equally but realize that I need them. I would drink otherwise. The meetings keep me sober. I get together w/friends & hear other people's stories. I like the BB studies as well. Keep coming.

mary
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Staying sober during the rough times can be quite challenging for us. I now try to see it as an opportunity for growth and try to stay focused on reaping the rewards of that growth. During the past 2 weeks, I have had to give a deposition for a lawsuit involving a patient I took care of vs the hospital I worked at. Thank God I didn't do anything wrong, but it was a bit scary. Even worse was last week when I had to sit with the diversion committee (which feels like sitting in front of a firing squad!) and have them judge where I am in my sobriety. I am 9 1/2 months sober and STILL not safe to practice according to them..."I might get overwhelmed", "We want you to succeed", blah, blah, blah. I was warned about this committee coming into the program, but it's hard not to take personally and feel insulted. I guess they usually want about a year in the program before returning to work.

I went to my BB study last night. The last Monday of the month, they bring in a speaker to share about their experience doing certain steps. Last night there were 2 guys who shared about steps 8 and 9. It was such a powerful and meaningful meeting for me. I am at the beginning of Step 9 right now, and am starting to feel the promises of the program. There is such freedom in the Steps!

Have a terrific Tuesday everyone!

Comment

WL: It's such a gift that you have taken your AA membership seriously. The committee will see that, & I have not doubt that you will get your license back. When I think about the damage i did while drinking. I thank God I didn't lose my job but definitely could have.

Mary
              October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi everyone
                I am wanting to go to a meeting and i have found one close to me but it says its a spirtichal(sp) concept meeting can anyone tell me what that means please.
                Thanks xx
                :dancin: enguin:
                starting over

Comment

Ronnie: AA is based on spiritual concepts (God, Higher Power). It isn't religious, but we AAers understand at some point that a spiritual power helps us stay sober. Many of the 12 steps of AA have a spiritual component. I would go to the meeting & listen w/an open mind. You don't have to do or say anything...except maybe your first name. You'll understand as you go to meetings. Try all kinds...step, Big Book, etc. You'll find a place when it's right for you.

I joined AA 3 years ago. I didn't understand much when I first started going. I just kept going, listening, & trying to keep an open mind. It all cleared up after a while, & I made some great friends as well.

Good luck! Mary
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

Thankyou retteacher,
                    I use to go to AA a while back but the group closed as it was only small but i think i will go and check out this one, as you say i can meet some new friends which would be good as half the problem why i drank was lonelyness, i am on day 2 now and feel ready to do this again.
                    Thanks xxx
                    starting over

Comment

I always enjoy an AA meeting. Some are a lot of fun, some boring. But I always feel better after the meeting.
                      Love and Peace,
                      Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Ronnie: Some people actually try to go to a meeting every day. Each one is different. I go to meetings 4 - 5 times per week...sometimes more. It's an hour out of my day, & yes, like Phil, I always feel better afterward. Good luck. Mary
                        October 3, 2012

Comment

The problem with me is the times and places of the meetings, this one is on a tuesday night which is good as i work during the day and its only about a 20 min drive away, i hate driving to places that i dont know at night as the street lights are bad here and i have trouble seeing in the dark, but i will defo give it a go.
                          starting over

Comment

Ronnie: Good for you. Willingness is an important part of recovery. In AA there are a lot of acronyms. The one that comes to mind now is HOW: Honesty, Open-mindedness, Willingness. Without those, I couldn't have gotten sober.

Last night's small meeting was on Step 1 & Rigorous Honesty. Those 2 topics are essential to my recovery. Until I could admit that I was powerless over alcohol, I could not stop drinking. I had to get honest w/myself & others.

Mary
                            October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                            X